Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member

Question about soreness

Hey guys, I have been working out with weights now for some 10-15 years now. I am probally at the most physical peak of my life, 30 (imagine that). My question to the pros has to do with soreness. Is it normal after you have gotten back in the gym after a few months of training really hard that your muscles no longer get sore? I mean here in the last 4 or 5 months, i have been working out almost every day, and now I find it very hard to make my muscles sore now. Is that normal? Should I be concerned that I may need to work harder? Does that mean my muscles aren't growing? course I am taking a shit load of Creatine and alittle bit of Andro-1, plus tons of protein and amino's. I find myself kinda tight but not sore. Do you guys that are doing "gear", get sore, if so how often? all now it seems like when I go to the gym, I just get a hell of a pump, but the next day, i am not sore and feel like I can work that same muscle again. How do I overcome this phobia? Any suggestions would be nice.

Lush is offline Associate Member
    No worries man. After going hard for a couple months (or less) at the gym- it gets almost impossible to get sore anymore. That's natural.

I do 12 or 13 sets total for chest with probably 7 of those to failure and I don't get sore now. If I tried that after not working out for 3 months I'd be crippled the next day.

The most you'll get is a nice kind off tight feeling in the muscle the next day. Not sore, but it deffinately feels like it was worked.

Thanks man. that is what I figured, I just wanted to see what the other fellas had to say about it. thanks for the input..

bigtraps is offline Member
    Currently i am not on AS, but i hardly ever get sore , on or off..
    But for some reason, right now i am having rear delt soreness and neck soreness..

thanks Big Traps. Preciate the input..

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Yup, I never get sore anymore, which makes me feel like I have not worked out hard enough, which is why i can never leave the gym

bigtraps is offline Member
    The few times that i do get sore, i get really exited cause i feel like i am getting bigger than.. When you can feel your muscles, you feel bigger and you also feel that you did a good job at the gym yesterday..When you are sore days after words, than that gives me wood.. Maybe i am just a nut, but i love to train.. I think we all feel this way, that is why we are here day in and day out. Peace..

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I get to a stage where I just don,t get sore.Then change your grip go a little wider on the bar change the angles you use and hit the muscle from a different angle........you,ll get sore!!

Billy

IRON MAN is offline New Member
    when i start to not get sore any more i start doing six rep sets with so much weight that ibarely get the sixth one and then have to rest 2 or 3 min before next set. then at end of workout i do an isolation excersice with pretty light weigt for 12 to 15 reps. the next day i'm sore. example :
    FLAT BENCH 4 SETS 6 REPS EACH TO FAILURE
    DUMBBELL INCLINE-" "
    HAMMER INCLINE-3 SETS" "
    CABLE CROSS OVERS 3 SETS 12-15 REPS HOLD AT PEAK C
    ONTRATION = GOOD SORENESS THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS
    anyways this works for me.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    When I feel like I'm not getting sore anymore... I take like 4 days off. When I return, I get kinda sore again. Switch up your routine... don't always do the same things.

CYCLEON Guest
    I still get a little sore sometimes after a big one but hardly ever more than a small ache now

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i've always felt that if you didn't get sore, you didn't break down the muscle, you only exersiced it. if it's sore, you broke it. if you broke it, you get bigger when it heals

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Bro, change your reps, exercise order, pre-exhaust, increase training volume, hit your muscles from different angles etc. Don't let your body get used to any 1 routine. If you want more specific ideas e-mail me.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Change up

Yeah I agree, change up your routine. Here's somthing thsat I have not herad anyone mention. In the past Professional BB would often refer to medications and such to mask tore muscles, strains, ect. There has been a growing popularity across the US in gyms for massage therapist and for good readons. Many BB and especially olympian athletes how have to train rigoursley have found out that massage therapy not only repairs pulled muscles without the use of medications but it can also prevent future injurieswhen used in conjunction with working out There are several around hee who have been on the coaching teams of many of the Universities through out the South As well. I have never used them, but if I ever suffer a bad injury they will be my first choice before I concider a medical doctor.
    Tobey

PS. I have gone prolonged periods before I have experienced soreness. That is one of the reasons that I may try another gym which incoroprates differnet machinary.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    I never get sore post work out anymore. Though lately i have been finding it hard to even get the feeling of the lactic acid building up in the muscles. When the muscle is worked hard enough u have to stop b/c of the build up of lactic acid. Though i cannot get this burn feeling anymore and end up staying in the gym to long. It gets to the point where the burn wont occur but i just cannot lift my arm anymore.

The burn (lactic acid buildup) is not a positive unless you just like it. But if you train alone chances are you're never gonna push yourself lika a good partner can. Question: Who preferrs training alone?

I train alone more often than not and I train at home.Does,t limit me and I push myself all the time.I train hard and don,t need anyone to push me.Its about the mental drive that one possess some need a kick up the ass some don,t .

Billy

Ok, so how about forced reps, negatives or when you need a spot? Who do you ask, and how does that effect your routine?

I have a power rack that can be set so you can train to failure on bench,squats ect and can be set at any height.So I use that for a spotter.I don,t use negative reps or forced reps when I train alone but I do use super sets and partial reps which i would argue amounts to the same hostile type of training that forced reps involve.But when you look at training on-one ever trains using forced reps, negatives, partials or supersets 100% of the time do they? Most train to failure within their own limits.

Billy

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    There are lots of valid points from all the guys who responded. Sicilian, try new exercises for the same muscle groups. There are so many differen't exercises that if you keep switching constantly your muscles are forced to adapt to the strains and therefore are forced to grow...believe me...if you've always done bench press as a basic chest exercise and then one evening (I train in the evening) you do fat or incline dumbells instead, I can garauntee you will feel it the next day.

Pete

peaker is offline Senior Member

DOMS

i always pull up sore after a workout and like many other guys said, i love it because it feels like i am growing, but my question is a few times i have worked out i blew my arms and the next day i felt fine, as in no soreness at all, but then the day after that i was in amazing pain!

is it a good sign if muscle soreness is that delayed, i get the feeling i must have really slaughtered my arms!

why is it that i always get sore in the chest the most, more than any other body part but my chest is lagging alot? should i drop some sets?

currently doing...

bench 4x8
    incline bench 4x8
    deline dumbell press 4x8
    and decline cable crossovers 4x8
    ??

peaker

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Maybe drop to 12 sets, just do them super intense and super heavy. Of course, you will need warm up sets, but those don't count. 12 working sets. But seriously, if you lift heavy enough, and train intense enough, you won't be able to get to 16 sets, unless you are a pro on 3 grams of test per week.

Lush is offline Associate Member
    yeah peaker,

I'd deffinately say drop some sets. For me biceps were always my weakest and hardest to build body part. So I'd try to work them more often than anythin else and do as many sets as possible.

But a few months ago on a Sust cycle, on advice from my work out partner- I changed the bicep routine. Worked'em once per week- and I'd only do 2 excercises with 2 or 3 sets each. And I'd try to get all of those sets to failure.
    It worked great- biceps are now one of my strongest parts. Just of off 4-6 sets/week.

but about the chest....

My work out is pretty similar to your except i do weighted dips instead of the decline flys. But I do 2 sets of each excercise to failure (work out partner required for the bench excercises). And ocassionally a 3'rd slightly lighter set- not to failure.
    So probably 8-12 sets total.

Works well for me. Chest is one of my quickest growing body parts.

So yeah, that's about it for my advice......

$uperman is offline Member
    I cant tell anymore than these guys already have , i can just agree with em. Just change things in your workout , change your , reps , weight , sets , type of workouts , even your rest peroid. Stretch between sets also. Just as Dumbells101 says , try some forced reps. I recently started this and about 2 weeks later my stretch marks got a lil bigger so i know i grew some.

thanks guys

i'll give it a go guys, i'll drop my sets to 8-12 and see what happends, sometimes less is more

peaker

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't know what I would do if I couldn't feal that sore feeling. I usually bump up my weight or intensity, but I assume you do that. God I love that next day soreness.

Smile always get it..

i always get the next day soreness, it lasts for at least 2 days. I make sure i get enough protein so it's not because my intake levels are too low. Must be how hard i push myself

Anyone hooked on the pain?

peaker

RON
    There is not a fealing in the world like the soreness. Its great

Okay Ron, you are starting to scare me man..

RON
    Im starting to scare myself LOL

By the way Ron, anyone told you before you look like that Walt Disney mouse thingamagiggy?

RON
    Originally posted by Sicilian30
    By the way Ron, anyone told you before you look like that Walt Disney mouse thingamagiggy?
    Mickey Mouse? Ya, I get that all the time. Mickey wishes he had a body like that.

How bout this one Ron?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question about soreness-roidmickey-copy.jpg  

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Bump this old thang with a bunc of good advice still!

Thread Information