Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132
Results 1,241 to 1,271 of 1271
    Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Hey MS I got a tough client.
    She is
    5-1ish
    290lbs
    really really high bf obviously
    Plantar fasciitis is her only injury. No weight bearing exercise for now.
    I got her diet in check. I mean I literally went to her house and threw everything away and went with her to the grocery store and bought new foods. Her diet was never as bad as her weight would say it is. Here comes the tricky part...

She used to have an eating disorder, anorexia, and now the doctors say her thyroid is back to normal. But she cannot lose weight. I mean cannot lose even a pound. I have played around with all kinds of calories and short of going keto (discussed later) I can't get her weight to budge. I mean I can't starve her with a super low cal diet cuz she won't do that, but seriously we have played around with cal ranges from 1,000-2,000 and nothing. Now I read a study a long time ago that was about people who went through famines and how they are overly susceptible to obesity, and if a female was pregnant in a famine their child was also prone to obesity. The article said something about a marker or something getting turned on, much like a switch I guess, and it forced them to adapt. Now I suspect that this is the problem with her too. I am also hearing seriously weird reports (not my clients but I know of others) about people who do KETO diets without re-feeds having this same effect. Now is there anyway you can think to offset this crazy metabolism issue?
    My client has heart palpitations when thyroid drugs or iodine is supplemented btw.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Hey MS I got a tough client.
    She is
    5-1ish
    290lbs
    really really high bf obviously
    Plantar fasciitis is her only injury. No weight bearing exercise for now.
    I got her diet in check. I mean I literally went to her house and threw everything away and went with her to the grocery store and bought new foods. Her diet was never as bad as her weight would say it is. Here comes the tricky part...

She used to have an eating disorder, anorexia, and now the doctors say her thyroid is back to normal. But she cannot lose weight. I mean cannot lose even a pound. I have played around with all kinds of calories and short of going keto (discussed later) I can't get her weight to budge. I mean I can't starve her with a super low cal diet cuz she won't do that, but seriously we have played around with cal ranges from 1,000-2,000 and nothing. Now I read a study a long time ago that was about people who went through famines and how they are overly susceptible to obesity, and if a female was pregnant in a famine their child was also prone to obesity. The article said something about a marker or something getting turned on, much like a switch I guess, and it forced them to adapt. Now I suspect that this is the problem with her too. I am also hearing seriously weird reports (not my clients but I know of others) about people who do KETO diets without re-feeds having this same effect. Now is there anyway you can think to offset this crazy metabolism issue?
    My client has heart palpitations when thyroid drugs or iodine is supplemented btw.
    Hmm, interesting.

Let me get back to you after the weekend when I am done traveling.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

The below is her words about it. Keep in mind weight loss was always caused by an eating disorder of some
    Sort.

"So I am 43 now. I lost about 120 pounds when I was 15-17. Gained it back plus a little more and lost 150 pounds when I was about 19-20. Then I lost about the same amount when I was around 31-33. I gained it back slower this time because I was exercising more and eating pretty well -- until I got with my ex-boyfriend lol. and got to my current size."
    Last edited by Twist; 02-04-2011 at 04:51 PM.

dips is offline Junior Member
    musclescience i have a couple of questions hopefully you could help me with:

1. what age should/can kids start working out?

2. what gives people speed? how much of it is just genetics, how much of it is training?

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dips View Post

2. what gives people speed? how much of it is just genetics, how much of it is training?

Type II, fast twitch muscle, has three major kinds that are, in order of increasing contractile speed:[4]

* Type IIa, which, like slow muscle, is aerobic, rich in mitochondria and capillaries and appears red.
    * Type IIx (also known as type IId), which is less dense in mitochondria and myoglobin. This is the fastest muscle type in humans. It can contract more quickly and with a greater amount of force than oxidative muscle, but can sustain only short, anaerobic bursts of activity before muscle contraction becomes painful (often incorrectly attributed to a build-up of lactic acid). N.B. in some books and articles this muscle in humans was, confusingly, called type IIB.[5]

genetics play a roll in everything a human body can do

as far as what age is safe for kids to workout

iv seen people put small rice pack on a baby just starting to crawl to build the muscle up faster not saying you should but hey its been done and proven safe
    id say 13/14 is a safe age to start at but by all means keep it light id start with alot of core training

Hard.On is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dips View Post

Theres a reason why white people don't win races

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drdeath613;5528***
    Type II, fast twitch muscle, has three major kinds that are, in order of increasing contractile speed:[4]

* Type IIa, which, like slow muscle, is aerobic, rich in mitochondria and capillaries and appears red.
    * Type IIx (also known as type IId), which is less dense in mitochondria and myoglobin. This is the fastest muscle type in humans. It can contract more quickly and with a greater amount of force than oxidative muscle, but can sustain only short, anaerobic bursts of activity before muscle contraction becomes painful (often incorrectly attributed to a build-up of lactic acid). N.B. in some books and articles this muscle in humans was, confusingly, called type IIB.[5]

genetics play a roll in everything a human body can do

as far as what age is safe for kids to workout

iv seen people put small rice pack on a baby just starting to crawl to build the muscle up faster not saying you should but hey its been done and proven safe
    id say 13/14 is a safe age to start at but by all means keep it light id start with alot of core training
    Dips,

as DR mentioned there are several types of muscle fibers. The traditional theory is that a person is born with a predetermined proportion of each type of muscle fiber type in relation to the others. There is emerging research that with training there are certain types of muscle fibers that can to some extent be morphed or take on properties more like that of a slow twitch or a fast twitch. It is believed that there are now 4-6 known muscle fiber types in humans. This view depends on the particular camp or side of the literature that a scientist is on. I am not well versed on that literature and its so new, that I stick with the more evidence heavy traditional view of training vs natural ability.

Which briefly I will state as this. There is a debate in all of science on nature vs nurture when it comes to a persons ability to do anything at all. Intelligence for example or the ability to write great novels. There is only so much that a person can do to increase their ability to do something if they do not already have a good genetic foundation to build from. Like I said this goes with most everything in human life. I know that no matter how hard I study or read or talk to the great minds of the world. I will never be as intelligent as Albert Eisenstein.

The same with athletics, everyone knows the guy that is a freak of nature that can run a 4.3 40 yard dash, bench 450lbs and basically go through the motions and do as little as he has to in practice or the weight room. Then you know the guy that works so hard, has the best nutrition, best exercise regime, best coaches but will never beat Usan Bolt in the 100m dash, or Michael Phelps in the pool.

You have to have the basic foundation first before you can build your castle, if you will. Not to say you can not improve yourself. But there is a limit built into everyone on something that they can never be the best at.

As far as children and training go, you can start them as young as you like. Obviously exercise choice is different for them than that of an adult. However a fitness regime specific to children and their special considerations can be safely and effective performed. Children need exercise and play. That is how their bodies develop normally and naturally. Exercise helps the body, spirit and the mind of the child all develop.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Quote Originally Posted by Hard.On View Post
    Theres a reason why white people don't win races
    thats a myth just like saying all black guys are hung

lol sorry ms for stealing your thread

i just thought it would be nice change of pace for me to contribute something to this site other then half naked girl pics

lol and for my first time i wasnt wrong about something hahaha

Blog Entries
    The below is her words about it. Keep in mind weight loss was always caused by an eating disorder of some
    Sort.

"So I am 43 now. I lost about 120 pounds when I was 15-17. Gained it back plus a little more and lost 150 pounds when I was about 19-20. Then I lost about the same amount when I was around 31-33. I gained it back slower this time because I was exercising more and eating pretty well -- until I got with my ex-boyfriend lol. and got to my current size."
    Well, I would say that she did herself a great deal of damage to herself. Eating disorders especially over long periods of time, change a persons body in numerous ways. She is getting older, her metabolism is slowing down. Typically after the age of 30, there is a decline in metabolic rate that is associated with the expected 7-10% loss of muscle mass each decade after 30 in untrained individuals. Also having more mass makes a person actually more metabolically efficient at storing energy, or losing it as metabolic waste depending on your point of view.

In biological systems across nature. Organisms that have more body mass, seem to require less energy per unit of mass than that of less massive organisms. For example, pound for pound an Elephants' metabolic efficiency is much greater than that of a dog, or a human or any organism smaller than it. This is called Kleiber's Law, and is expressed as E=Mľ Where mass is expressed in kilograms and E or energy is expressed in calories. Thus in theory it makes it harder for a heavier person to lose weight. This theory is very controversial but for 60 plus years no one has been able to disprove this theory. The numbers expressed as the power of ľ is sometimes debated but generally holds up when talking about metabolism.

Now what does this mean to you, it means that in theory she is going to have several factors working against her to lose weight again. However the most important and incalculable factor is her will power to lose the weight and do it in a health manner. That my friend is where you come in and have to figure out how to do that. The art of figuring out how to properly educate and motivate your client to follow the science and philosophy that you know, is really the only factor that matters.

Its as simple as calories in vs calories out on paper....LOL
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 02-16-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: This picture explains it much easier.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drdeath613 View Post
    lol sorry ms for stealing your thread

i just thought it would be nice change of pace for me to contribute something to this site other then half naked girl pics

lol and for my first time i wasnt wrong about something hahaha
    This thread is not my thread its everyone's thread. Its intent is for open intellectually discussion and debate and I welcome more to get involved and ask and or answer questions not just me. Who knows, I may be full of shit and be a 115lbs WOW level 8 million computer know it all....LOL

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    This thread is not my thread its everyone's thread. Its intent is for open intellectually discussion and debate and I welcome more to get involved and ask and or answer questions not just me. Who knows, I may be full of shit and be a 115lbs WOW level 8 million computer know it all....LOL
    lol no doubt your 115lbs are we talking about your 3rd leg?

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Well, I would say that she did herself a great deal of damage to herself. Eating disorders especially over long periods of time, change a persons body in numerous ways. She is getting older, her metabolism is slowing down. Typically after the age of 30, there is a decline in metabolic rate that is associated with the expected 7-10% loss of muscle mass each decade after 30 in untrained individuals. Also having more mass makes a person actually more metabolically efficient at storing energy, or losing it as metabolic waste depending on your point of view.

In biological systems across nature. Organisms that have more body mass, seem to require less energy per unit of mass than that of less massive organisms. For example, pound for pound an Elephants' metabolic efficiency is much greater than that of a dog, or a human or any organism smaller than it. This is called Kleiber's Law, and is expressed as E=Mľ Where mass is expressed in kilograms and E or energy is expressed in calories. Thus in theory it makes it harder for a heavier person to lose weight. This theory is very controversial but for 60 plus years no one has been able to disprove this theory. The numbers expressed as the power of ľ is sometimes debated but generally holds up when talking about metabolism.

Now what does this mean to you, it means that in theory she is going to have several factors working against her to lose weight again. However the most important and incalculable factor is her will power to lose the weight and do it in a health manner. That my friend is where you come in and have to figure out how to do that. The art of figuring out how to properly educate and motivate your client to follow the science and philosophy that you know, is really the only factor that matters.

Its as simple as calories in vs calories out on paper....LOL
    On paper... Never in real life.

BOLD: I have been looking for this for some great amount of time. THANK YOU! (again)

wtf is that graph (I know what it is) that came out when I quoted you? that's really weird. Cool graph though

Blog Entries
    wtf is that graph (I know what it is) that came out when I quoted you? that's really weird. Cool graph though
    Yeah I was trying to find a nice graph of Kleiber's Law that I and everyone else could understand. And wasn't so freaking big...LOL

There is one that a lab did for BMI vs BMR that is pretty cool too. The numbers are pretty surprising and its funny just how much the graphs for humans vs humans mass and energy match that of human vs every other organism on the plant as far as the energy expenditure relationship.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drdeath613 View Post
    lol no doubt your 115lbs are we talking about your 3rd leg?
    Sadly no, True story though, when I started lifting I was around 130 lbs. I have been as big as about 235 give or take a few pounds at about 14% when I was powerlifting and thinking I was going to try MMA.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

dips is offline Junior Member
    thanks MS and Dr for the info. those were just 2 questions ive been wondering for a while and they came up in the gym the other day, so i figd id ask someone who could give me the real answer, besides "they said!"

Saito is offline New Member
    Hi MS. I would like to ask for your advice about my pain in lower back in sacrum area. It happened quite often lately when I did heavy rack pulls and the pain would sustain for at least a week. I feel a very tight stiffness all the time and cannot bend my back. It was better after 2 hours of stretching, however.

What I would like to know are;
    1) Can this be related to bone?
    2) Is stretching appropriate?
    3) What are other appropriate measures to treat this?
    4) I did rack pulls to build upper back. Can you recommend other alternative exercises?
    5) Anything you would like to add

Thank you

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Hey i have a good question for ya

How does exercise upregulate the GLUT4 transporters in muscle tissue to uptake more glucose?
    -if u can point me to some good research that'd be just as good

Type 2 diabetes (NIDDM) is basically the worsening of the metabolic syndrome correct? the resistance to insulin and therefore the increase in blood glucose?

Thanks!

PS have you found any Literature on SARMS ? all the info i can find is Logs of what people did but not much else?..

digsy1983 is offline Member
    hi, i suffered from osgood-schlatter as a kid in both knees. i've read the bit where you explain what it is previously in the thread, but im 28 now and i still have weak knees. everyday use is perfectly fine, its if i kneel on a hard floor, or bang my knee that im suddently reminded of my existing condtion. i'v recently started running again (on a treadmill at 4% gradient) and im starting to feel like i shouldnt! should i carry on running to build the knee up or is it just a case of dont run? also are there any supplements (already take glucosamine, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil and calcium fluride) that would ease my discomfort? was taking ibruprofen as a kid when my knees got bad, seemed to help a bit. also as a kid the docs said R.I.C.E was the best thing, still recommend?

cheers.
    Last edited by digsy1983; 07-19-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Dirtyolboots is offline New Member
    MS
    I recently started taking aas but this question does not really pertain to that.
    1 month into working out I developed a blood clot on my right side of my nose that then made my nostril inflammated I was given a corticosteroid propionate and my nose started bleeding This weekend while working a 25 hour shift Amd started feeling like i was getting dehydrated Sunday I threw up meaty chunky stuff I went to the docs they said I had high liver enzymes but the thing is I was also using too much ibuprofen 800 mg pills 4 a day. The clot is almost gone still seeping blood through the inflammation in my nose nostril. Today I'm resting and rehydrating (lips still feel balloon like and have dark marking) I'm going to continue lifting and want to get back in shape I'm
    A 25 year old Marine and have a fitness goal. I guess my questions are if you believe it'd be my deca (which my body did not agree with and no longer using) or my test p causing this? Should I completely stop use of my test p? I started taking a b complex and my omega 3 6 9 flaxseed complex just to try getting heart and liver a little healthy. What are your suggestions? Stop working out a bit til this nose thing goes away? stop the juice or anything of that sort I've read plenty of your things posted online and would love advise from an exercise physiologist

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    ^^^ MS has been on for a while.
    And yes i would stop both.
    If your having issues you should stop
    If your only into working out for 1 month there is no reason for you to be using.
    And this is why its recommended to only use 1 drug the first time so if there is issues your not playing a guessing game like you are now
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hmmm I was just wondering what happened to this thread. Hope MS makes it back

No I have been lifting for 2 years this was the first time using juice but I got rid of that deca just had my follow up with the doc today turned out damn vein in a nose busted causing that clot and my liver is fine now i was just dehydrated too many enzymes went and bought a b conplex and an omega complex and blood wirk is fine clot is in its final stage if gealing its a blood scan now. that test I got from a different guy and I'm confident that ones working I have no negative side effects that deca though I got from someone else and the next day after the shot I always felt off slow had a nasty swelling and rash that was bigger than a ****in grapefruit. and yeah I ditched that one I'm sure that gear was ****in garbage but this test is going down still and I'm getting me some dbol just to say screw it I already have a novla and my ai and put in a nice amount to get this going so **** it just gonna keep it simple and test

And I meant one month into the cycle using it I just caught that my mistake

And I confess to making the huge mistake of using deca solo I had one of my tests lost and went alone with the deca til I could afford another test that was foolish of me seeing as it took almost a month to get but now that crap is over with this new guy has some good gear one of my best friends connected me and I know it's good cuz my boy is stacked right now and didn't encounter these issues I dealt with that deca and this test has been going smooth no irritation good energy definite libido change ya know its doing what it should so no more of that deca and now with those blood test results showing the liver being fine and this swelling and clot disappeared and hydrated I'm confident and ready to continue on got the green light haha

londog is offline Junior Member
    I have been working 5days a week at about 67 hrs a week plus going to the gym for about 1.5 hrs a day. I have got a cold and continue to go to the gym, my wife says I need to stay away from the gym and get better I have always thought that sweating the cold out would help get rid of the cold. What are your thoughts on this?

nussnussbaby is offline Associate Member
    I'd guess not. I've made big time gains on a body part from one week to the next without feeling like a killed it.

trikydik is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Is slow cadence exercise really more beneficial than normal exercise?

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    Nope, this isn't the right way. I'm still in the past. Can someone help me?

Grymreefer is offline Associate Member
    Pretty inactive member but just stumbled upon this. What should I expect of my old injuries and broken bones I have sustained throughout my early youth. Keep in mind I am currently 22.

My injuries over the last 22 years...( I was a clumsy kid and also was a skate park rat for about 10 years of my life)
    Broken both my ankles twice and have been rolled so many times that they now no longer experience pain or discomfort if rolled anymore. But I do tend to roll them randomly if I do not pay attention to how I walk or hold my posture.
    fractured my tailbone. It was nothing bad just had to sit on that cushion for a couple months it seemed.
    I have personally dislocated my right shoulder on multiple occasions and I do have to admit that it is way more stiff and less agile than my left one.
    Concussions Galore. I actually dove into my 8th grade pool during swimming class and didn't pull up in time and smashed my head on the bottom of the pool. Later on that day I had a little bit of blood in my ears, but everything checked out. That was probably my worst. The rest of the concussions just me eating Sh!t with my face first.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132

Thread Information