Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member

RANT: Cell phone douchebags in the gym

so, it seems people cant leave their phone in their locker or in their car, for the short amount of time they are in the gym.

some douches - a group of 3 - were hogging the benches, etc etc....

and i wouldnt have minded so much, if they wernt spending 5 mins inbetween their half assed sets, talking on their cellphones......

they could have been done in 1/4th the time!!!!

all 3 of them, all on cells, all hogging benches, all doing nothing...

and they are the typical "bis and chest" guys....NEVER do they do legs, never do they deviate from the same crap they do 4 days a week..... even i know their "routine" including when they use the phone. lol

like, i love the gym - because for the hour and a half or 2 hours im there (depending on group day, cardio, etc), i get to escape the phone, text messages and people hounding me....

i love the escape...the outside world doesnt matter when i'm in there, and i love that.......

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    I feel your pain, that was one of the main reasons I left my old gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine View Post
    so, it seems people cant leave their phone in their locker or in their car, for the short amount of time they are in the gym.

some douches - a group of 3 - were hogging the benches, etc etc....

and i wouldnt have minded so much, if they wernt spending 5 mins inbetween their half assed sets, talking on their cellphones......

they could have been done in 1/4th the time!!!!

all 3 of them, all on cells, all hogging benches, all doing nothing...

and they are the typical "bis and chest" guys....NEVER do they do legs, never do they deviate from the same crap they do 4 days a week..... even i know their "routine" including when they use the phone. lol

like, i love the gym - because for the hour and a half or 2 hours im there (depending on group day, cardio, etc), i get to escape the phone, text messages and people hounding me....

i love the escape...the outside world doesnt matter when i'm in there, and i love that.......

JC.1987 is offline Associate Member

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    There's a few lads like that, that I know who do the same in the gym I'm in. Chest and bi's is all what they do mad likewouldn't ya just get bored of doing the same thing the whole time.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Maybe they're preparing for the next Jersey Shore series?

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    i hate that shit!!......luckily mobile phones are banned in my gym

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    LOL.... I bring my phone in the gym sometimes... might be important ... but the most you will catch me doin is sending a text immediately following a heavy set... I dont let it effect my tempo... and the extent of a conversation is "hey, is it important?.. Ok cool call you later, at the gym" lol... I would never make someone wait to workout because I'm on the phone... thats an issue of common courtesy.... I find a huge number of people just dont give a **** about the next guy and thats the real issue..

6ft5 is offline Member
    I use my phone for music, I wana punch everone who txt me, in the face!! This is my time mo-fos!! Lol!

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    ^^^^^ also it can be dangerous, when people are talking away on the phone they tend to wander about, not taking notice of whats going on around them......

but i agree it comes down to common courtesy when using equipment..

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    I know how you feel bro i see it everyday

I once went to join a new gym about a year ago i walked in saw a dude on a bike with a laptop in front of him thats all i needed to see i walked out.

wanna_c_gains is offline Associate Member
    I workout at 5 am simply because my job requires me to be "accessible by phone". In the rare case that I have to workout during the day, you will see me with my phone only because it is required. I call all my guys before I go in the gym so they know it better be an emergency if they call me.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    I think its not a big deal if you NEED to be available for work, your wife doesnt trust you, whatever. Go in a corner in the back of the gym and do youe business. But to stand in the middle of the gym and literally broadcast your conversaton to everyone there really pisses me off.

These are the guys that will talk to friends later and said that they were at the gym for 3 hours today!!!!

What idiots!!

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    LOL.... I bring my phone in the gym sometimes... might be important ... but the most you will catch me doin is sending a text immediately following a heavy set... I dont let it effect my tempo... and the extent of a conversation is "hey, is it important?.. Ok cool call you later, at the gym" lol... I would never make someone wait to workout because I'm on the phone... thats an issue of common courtesy.... I find a huge number of people just dont give a **** about the next guy and thats the real issue..
    same, i keep my phone in case of an emergency or if one of the kids i tutor needs some help(i provide 24/7 tutoring, anytime of day or night as long as i'm not in class), but it's on vibrate and i never talk on i unless absolutely necessary

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    same, i keep my phone in case of an emergency or if one of the kids i tutor needs some help(i provide 24/7 tutoring, anytime of day or night as long as i'm not in class), but it's on vibrate and i never talk on i unless absolutely necessary
    What subject do you tutor?

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    What subject do you tutor?
    most biology and chemistry courses freshman through junior level, and anything to do with training(like our sports nutrition class and such)

Blog Entries
    most biology and chemistry courses freshman through junior level, and anything to do with training(like our sports nutrition class and such)
    I just had a flashback of the periodic table, *puke.

That's nice of you to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I just had a flashback of the periodic table, *puke.

That's nice of you to do that.
    i get 20/hr for it so i don't mind, but most of the time i don't actually charge the full amount if the person is responsive and trys to learn, for example one cheerleading chick i tutored racked up 400$ in tutoring hours during the couple weeks before finals last semester, but i only made her pay 160$ because she really tried and brought an F up to a high C(almost got a B)

i try to reward effort as much as possible since i've noticed that positive reinforcement like that seen to drive them to want the excellence to continue

Blog Entries
    i get 20/hr for it so i don't mind, but most of the time i don't actually charge the full amount if the person is responsive and trys to learn, for example one cheerleading chick i tutored racked up 400$ in tutoring hours during the couple weeks before finals last semester, but i only made her pay 160$ because she really tried and brought an F up to a high C(almost got a B)

i try to reward effort as much as possible since i've noticed that positive reinforcement like that seen to drive them to want the excellence to continue
    And i know first hand that they really appreciate it. I needed someone help getting through my physic 2 class. Professor was a @#$%head and just flew by the work in class hardly ever stopping to full explain stuff. When i got through it i was very thankful to my tutor.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    smash a db over there head.

Smiley619 is offline Member
    Military gyms are the worse for cell usage in my opinion. If gym memberships on the German economy were not so expensive i'd join one.

makod is offline Associate Member
    I use my phone to time rest periods and occasionally someone will call - il just tell them im at the gym and il call later.

The other day i was doing cardio and we all know its boring as hell. so i called up my mate to kill 10 minutes. Do you think this was wrong? 95% of people in the cardio room had earphones on listening to music or watching the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by makod View Post
    I use my phone to time rest periods and occasionally someone will call - il just tell them im at the gym and il call later.

The other day i was doing cardio and we all know its boring as hell. so i called up my mate to kill 10 minutes. Do you think this was wrong? 95% of people in the cardio room had earphones on listening to music or watching the tv.
    naw, i've tutored people while doing cardio, i do homework, study, whatever, it's cardio so anything to take my mind off the clock is alright with me, but it's different when you're lifting because the rest intervals are much shorter and wouldn't allow for a conversation without holding you up

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    naw, i've tutored people while doing cardio, i do homework, study, whatever, it's cardio so anything to take my mind off the clock is alright with me, but it's different when you're lifting because the rest intervals are much shorter and wouldn't allow for a conversation without holding you up
    I study all the time on the cardio machine. Otherwise I would do neither....LOL
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    We don't allow cell phones at our gym which I learned the hard way lol. The one time I ever needed to make a call I wound up arguing with the staff asking "where the hell are the signs?" cause there was none.
    I go to a uni gym so it would be BAD if they didn't have that rule, but cell phones aside, you still get the crowds of skinny fvcks standing in front of the racks blocking me everytime I need to get a weight or put one back. They just sit there and talk about what they did last weekend or how big they wanna get or what new shitty supplement they're taking (some occasionally steroids ). It pisses me off because a lot of people actually seem to consider the gym a part of their social life, its NOT, and you are a fvckn loser if you go there to do that.

I go to the library to read, get smart, and not be annoyed by dumb fvcks (which I'm not and I like it)
    I go to the gym to lift, get in shape, but I'm still always annoyed by dumb stupid shits.
    One of these days I may actually open a gym with a no talking rule, and no standing rule either. You're either on your machine lifting or in between reps sitting down OR pacing back and forth walking around your machine (which will be allowed).

But no stationary standing, no talking, and headphones must be ones where I can't hear wtf you are listening too. If you shout, talk or scream (even if you drop a weight on yourself) then security comes, duct tapes your mouth and drags you to the door so noone has to listen to your whining as you're being kicked the eff out.
    That would be the best gym in the world. And no grunting like a stupid fvckn ape when you do deadlifts either, no slamming weights too. For everytime you slam a weight you get your head slammed into a locker by a PT. 3 slams and your out.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Agreed, it's annoying watching them txt, chat and talk on the phone. Mine stays in the locker.

As for the kids who stand in front of the racks I just make my way though to get what I need.

For the guys hogging a bench I also tend to just walk up and ask if I can work in. I have never had anyone say no and most of the time they just leave.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    its really pretty damn sad how people have become such slaves to cell phones and text messaging. Things that were intended to make lives easier are ruining them.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    I like the cell phone talking guys who don't wipe their shit down and never rack their weights. Those dudes are bad ass.

Thread Information