Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By DAAS

Thread: Olive oil

DAAS is offline Senior Member

Olive oil

How good is this stuff really?
    Can I eat to much?
    Its good cholesterol but you can still have to much right?

I'm planning on making a pasta salad with some olive oil and pepper and olives maybe so low fat cheese. I used to make it with mayo and its really good but I figured id make it a little more healthy.

fit2bOld is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Olive oil is a much better option, lose the mayo.

People say its actually good for you? Im just curious how much I should limit myself. Cause its still oil. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by fit2bOld View Post
    Olive oil is a much better option, lose the mayo.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Extra virgin olive oil i cook it with everything

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    It is good fats, so just be sure to add it to your daily calories. Fats will add calories quick, so as long as you stay within your macro range, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Diamond View Post
    It is good fats, so just be sure to add it to your daily calories. Fats will add calories quick, so as long as you stay within your macro range, have at it.
    Ive been slacking on my calories lately. trying to prep more.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Extra virgin olive oil i cook it with everything
    Yup you/I want the extra virgin. I like mine shaved also.

There are a lot of olive oils who claim to be extra virgin that aren't.

An estimated 69% of all store-bought extra virgin olive oils in the US are probably fake, according to tests by the University of California.

The brands that failed to meet the extra virgin olive oil standards, according to this study: Bertolli, Carapelli, Colavita, Star, Pompeian. Eat Grown Local also reports: Filippo Berio, Mazzola, Mezzetta, Newman's Own, Safeway, and Whole Foods in this list; the data may be from the earlier 2010 study when more brands were evaluated.

The real deal: California Olive Ranch, Cobram Estate, Lucini. Kirkland Organic, Lucero (Ascolano), McEvoy Ranch Organic are also noted by Eat Grown Local.

First, extra-virgin olive oil ought to be comprised of mostly monounsaturated fat that grows more solid when cold. If you put a real extra-virgin olive oil in the refrigerator, it ought to become thick and cloudy as it cools completely.

Second, extra-virgin olive oil ought to be flammable enough to keep an oil lamp burning. Again, this isn’t a fail-proof test, and for the same reasons. But, it is certain that if your so-called “extra virgin olive oil” doesn’t keep a wick burning, it isn’t extra-virgin at all, but instead contains refined oils.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 04-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Euroholic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Yup you/I want the extra virgin. I like mine shaved also.

There are a lot of olive oils who claim to be extra virgin that aren't.

An estimated 69% of all store-bought extra virgin olive oils in the US are probably fake, according to tests by the University of California.

The brands that failed to meet the extra virgin olive oil standards, according to this study: Bertolli, Carapelli, Colavita, Star, Pompeian. Eat Grown Local also reports: Filippo Berio, Mazzola, Mezzetta, Newman's Own, Safeway, and Whole Foods in this list; the data may be from the earlier 2010 study when more brands were evaluated.

The real deal: California Olive Ranch, Cobram Estate, Lucini. Kirkland Organic, Lucero (Ascolano), McEvoy Ranch Organic are also noted by Eat Grown Local.

First, extra-virgin olive oil ought to be comprised of mostly monounsaturated fat that grows more solid when cold. If you put a real extra-virgin olive oil in the refrigerator, it ought to become thick and cloudy as it cools completely.

Second, extra-virgin olive oil ought to be flammable enough to keep an oil lamp burning. Again, this isn’t a fail-proof test, and for the same reasons. But, it is certain that if your so-called “extra virgin olive oil” doesn’t keep a wick burning, it isn’t extra-virgin at all, but instead contains refined oils.
    Lucked out on that one!
    lovbyts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DAAS View Post
    Lucked out on that one!
    Good to hear. Most people have no clue. I read something about it a couple of years ago. We get ours from Costco also.

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    Maybe try something like this:

Homemade Olive Oil Mayonnaise

most mayo is made with such crap oil - that's the major issue with it, because vegetable oils are so awful for you, so make your own using something good (and taking lovbyts advice about buying good quality - costco's is delish).

Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    Maybe try something like this:

Homemade Olive Oil Mayonnaise

most mayo is made with such crap oil - that's the major issue with it, because vegetable oils are so awful for you, so make your own using something good (and taking lovbyts advice about buying good quality - costco's is delish).
    Very nice and simple. I'm defiantly doing that.

Thanks

Thread Information