• 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By guitarzan
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 2 Post By guitarzan
  • 1 Post By Proximal

Thread: Trying to comfort friend-ALS

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member

Trying to comfort friend-ALS

As some of you already know, one of my best friends, age 46, was diagnosed last week with ALS, lou gehrigs disease. This is the same friend I went and visited in Orlando a few months back, when I posted the pics of us at nasa and stuff. We just got back from Disney world today, and I was able to visit him last night. His symptoms started about s month ago, and already he is struggling to talk and do basic functions, like holding a fork and eating. I looked up some info on als, hoping to find something that I could say to possibly give him some kind of hope, but there is nothing, this disease is terrible. I'm not good st this kind of stuff, but I'm really his only good friend. Anything you guys can think of to help me try and comfort him would be appreciated. He is a Christian, so I am able to comfort him from that aspect, but that's all I can come up with.
    Obs and Mooseman33 like this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I’ll definitely be following this for the replies. Empathy and sympathy have never been my strong suits (though interestingly, my girlfriend tells me that it’s coming to me more and more since starting TRT almost a year ago), so I can definitely relate to the intent here.
    balance and Obs like this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Tarzan I dont hardly know what can be done that you arent already doing. I recently got a sharp wake up call about appreciating things I have in my life.

Even someone or something that annoys you can actually turn out to be the thing that kept you sane when its gone.

Just being there...
    Thats all.
    Supportive.

My aunt died at 49. No kids, I was the closest thing she ever had to a son. She had a wild life and was on drugs for most of it. She died in her home and I was the only one holding her hand. Most family had abandoned her after her actions over the course of her life.

I could feel the life slipping away over hours but right up to the last breath she kept regripping my hand. She knew I was there till the end.

Sometimes thats all we can do. It takes a heavy toll too. Sometimes I think I have forgotten how to feel, but thats bull. I honestly think the more of this kind of thing I go through the more I feel and the more I understand feelings and can put myself in others shoes.

My father and I are much alike when things are bad or things are stressful we turn it off until everyone else is ok. It gets hard having to be the rock everyone pulls themselves up on to keep their head above water and you can't be that rock forever. I recommend just being their with them and living in the moment. Don't hide your feelings from them because being that rock is unsustainable. Being there and being real up to the end is the most anyone can give.

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Tarzan I dont hardly know what can be done that you arent already doing. I recently got a sharp wake up call about appreciating things I have in my life.

Even someone or something that annoys you can actually turn out to be the thing that kept you sane when its gone.

Just being there...
    Thats all.
    Supportive.

My aunt died at 49. No kids, I was the closest thing she ever had to a son. She had a wild life and was on drugs for most of it. She died in her home and I was the only one holding her hand. Most family had abandoned her after her actions over the course of her life.

I could feel the life slipping away over hours but right up to the last breath she kept regripping my hand. She knew I was there till the end.

Sometimes thats all we can do. It takes a heavy toll too. Sometimes I think I have forgotten how to feel, but thats bull. I honestly think the more of this kind of thing I go through the more I feel and the more I understand feelings and can put myself in others shoes.

My father and I are much alike when things are bad or things are stressful we turn it off until everyone else is ok. It gets hard having to be the rock everyone pulls themselves up on to keep their head above water and you can't be that rock forever. I recommend just being their with them and living in the moment. Don't hide your feelings from them because being that rock is unsustainable. Being there and being real up to the end is the most anyone can give.
    Thanks man. That's awesome you were there for your aunt, I cant imagine how much that ment to her
    Obs and balance like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    Thanks man. That's awesome you were there for your aunt, I cant imagine how much that ment to her
    You recently had this happen with your dad xdidnt you?

You recently had this happen with your dad xdidnt you?
    Yep, he spent 3 months in hospital, then passed. My father in law/buddy put a .357 hollow point through his brain almost two years ago. Had several friends commit suicide over last couple years
    Obs likes this.

balance is offline Associate Member
    Guitar

I’m really sorry. I read this right after you posted it but couldn’t reply as I really didn’t know what or how to say. After reading what Obs said that’s really the best response I feel possible. Being the rock is not always sustainable, just do what you feel at the time as it will be truly you and that in and of itself is the right thing.
    Obs, guitarzan and Old Duffer like this.

Old Duffer is online now Senior Member
    Being there. Biggest thing ever

2nd is distraction. Time moves so slow in these circumstances.

Music! Whatever he likes. I've played in hospice situations before

Pet therapy, if he's into animals.

Once the finish line is in view, it's all about being pain free n pleasantly distracted

Wifee n I send our prayers. To him. And you.
    Last edited by Old Duffer; 12-07-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    guitarzan, BG and Obs like this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Nothing tops what was said above. Being there and genuine empathy.

It might be too close, but I will ask a friend who recently lost her husband to ALS, for some specifics.
    Obs and guitarzan like this.

Thanks guys, I know there's no easy answers, but yall have offered good advise. It sucks he lives 5 1/2 hours away, that makes it even harder. I do appreciate the prayers for him, I think that's his only hope
    Obs and Proximal like this.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    just be there and give him love brother.

you sir are a stand up guy.

so sorry to read this man.
    BG, guitarzan and Obs like this.

Obs
    Yep, he spent 3 months in hospital, then passed. My father in law/buddy put a .357 hollow point through his brain almost two years ago. Had several friends commit suicide over last couple years
    I am sorry for your losses man. Thats the hardest stuff a guy can go through. We will meet again though.
    guitarzan likes this.

I am sorry for your losses man. Thats the hardest stuff a guy can go through. We will meet again though.
    That's right. Until then, I'm gonna give life life all I got, my ass is gonna enjoy it while I'm here! Of course, I always have...lol
    Proximal and Obs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    just be there and give him love brother.

you sir are a stand up guy.

so sorry to read this man.
    Thanks man, that means alot
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    That's right. Until then, I'm gonna give life life all I got, my ass is gonna enjoy it while I'm here! Of course, I always have...lol

Just got done trying to superimpose this song over video clips of my buddy I lost. Cant find an mp3 dowload to do it.

When we lose one it takes some of us too but should leave us with a deeper appreciation for what we have and those still with us.
    guitarzan likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    My Lady’s Mom has advanced ALS. There are a number of organizations such as the ALS and MD foundation that ave “loaner,” closet for different equipment and other items. Such as electric wheel chairs, portable toilets, lift etc.
    Obs, Proximal and guitarzan like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    My Lady’s Mom has advanced ALS. There are a number of organizations such as the ALS and MD foundation that ave “loaner,” closet for different equipment and other items. Such as electric wheel chairs, portable toilets, lift etc.
    Thanks man, I'll pass that along. So many things like this you dont know, or even think about existing.
    Obs likes this.

Just got done trying to superimpose this song over video clips of my buddy I lost. Cant find an mp3 dowload to do it.

When we lose one it takes some of us too but should leave us with a deeper appreciation for what we have and those still with us.
    You are correct
    Obs likes this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks man, I'll pass that along. So many things like this you dont know, or even think about existing.
    Secondly, there is a lot of financial help too. Again it’s stuff you have to know about. These organizations are bursting at the seems with grant money to help. It’s not that they aren’t upfront about things it’s that they are mostly overwhelmed. They best thing is to have a family or friend that’s a bit separated from the situation that can ask questions without emotional breakdown. It’s very hard to see. I’ve watched it for a year and how it’s aged my girlfriend. (Soon to be fiancé, shortly)

Another thing is to start prepping his house to be wheel chair accessible now. Especially to the bathroom. Get a raised toilet, hand rails and such so he can still have some measure of independence. I can’t understate how important that is to someone with ALS. Just being able to go to the bathroom by yourself can help keep his mental state good, for a good while.

For showering, get something called the “Tub Buddy,” it latches onto the side of the tub and allows him to slide in and out of the tub without much help. Later as he becomes less mobile. It will help his caregivers for a very long time. I could go on and on, I may do a write up on this if I can get some time.

We are both smack dab in the middle of it all and still figuring it out ourselves. There is a thousand little things that can make a big difference.

I would say, spend as much time as you can with him. Get involved and know others in your community that have already been through it. There is one lady here locally who has been a tremendous source of knowledge and helped us with everything from figuring out a toilet beady (sp) to simple wheel chair hacks and grant monies.
    balance, Obs and Proximal like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Secondly, there is a lot of financial help too. Again it’s stuff you have to know about. These organizations are bursting at the seems with grant money to help. It’s not that they aren’t upfront about things it’s that they are mostly overwhelmed. They best thing is to have a family or friend that’s a bit separated from the situation that can ask questions without emotional breakdown. It’s very hard to see. I’ve watched it for a year and how it’s aged my girlfriend. (Soon to be fiancé, shortly)

Another thing is to start prepping his house to be wheel chair accessible now. Especially to the bathroom. Get a raised toilet, hand rails and such so he can still have some measure of independence. I can’t understate how important that is to someone with ALS. Just being able to go to the bathroom by yourself can help keep his mental state good, for a good while.

For showering, get something called the “Tub Buddy,” it latches onto the side of the tub and allows him to slide in and out of the tub without much help. Later as he becomes less mobile. It will help his caregivers for a very long time. I could go on and on, I may do a write up on this if I can get some time.

We are both smack dab in the middle of it all and still figuring it out ourselves. There is a thousand little things that can make a big difference.

I would say, spend as much time as you can with him. Get involved and know others in your community that have already been through it. There is one lady here locally who has been a tremendous source of knowledge and helped us with everything from figuring out a toilet beady (sp) to simple wheel chair hacks and grant monies.
    Thanks man, this very helpful. He lives over 5 hrs away, so my time with him will be limited. Maybe I can help him with researching and making phone calls like you said. I will definitely reach out to you for help in the future. Thanks bro

Blog Entries
    Thanks man, this very helpful. He lives over 5 hrs away, so my time with him will be limited. Maybe I can help him with researching and making phone calls like you said. I will definitely reach out to you for help in the future. Thanks bro
    Whatever you need brother, I’m here for you.
    guitarzan likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

My friend and his daughter came up to deer hunt and visit this weekend. While walking through the woods he fell and broke his tibia and fibula in his right leg, right above his ankle. This was not what he needed, he is struggling greatly to get around with crutches. Damn it sucks see him like this, but he is in good spirits, considering
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    My friend and his daughter came up to deer hunt and visit this weekend. While walking through the woods he fell and broke his tibia and fibula in his right leg, right above his ankle. This was not what he needed, he is struggling greatly to get around with crutches. Damn it sucks see him like this, but he is in good spirits, considering
    Thats terrible man but at least he is still doing what he enjoys.
    guitarzan likes this.

Thats terrible man but at least he is still doing what he enjoys.
    Yep, he said he's going skydiving next!
    Obs and Proximal like this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    What he’ll remember every time he looks at the cast is the fact that he was out deer hunting; and with a very good friend.
    guitarzan likes this.

Thread Information