bbh90 is offline Junior Member

how many of you guys have no set routine but do what ever feels right when you train?

iv me a few ppl recently some of the biggest guys iv met that say they have no set routine and every time they go to the gym they do something different like they litterally have no guidlines to their work outs no general sets or reps no certain lifts they always do

one of these guys is a competing bodybuilder and another doesnt compete but is in good enough shape too as well im a member of greg plitts websight and he says he works out in a similar fashion

is that a practicle way to work out? i mean i feel like i were to do that i i would overtrain but the catch is that everyone who has told me thats the way they work out also do steroids so im wondering if thats a training style that might work for non natural lifters but not really for natural lifters

any thoughts on this guys?

when i say they have no set routine they said they will sometimes go into the gym on chest day and start out wiht flys or something then move to bench and then next time they work out maybe they will start out with incline bench then do decline cable flys then DB flat bench

BigJuice777 is offline Associate Member
    This works well for me and I use it every time. I have a big bag of exercises per muscle group that I like to use and the training is never the same. I actually still get sore sometimes when I introduce new exercises.

I will also start with really low reps (6-8) and do a bunch of exercises, then switch to high reps later in the training session. I agree.... drastically mixing up my training sessions ALWAYS makes a huge impact.

IMO, training the same muscles with the same exercises for months on end is not only boring, but not as effective. Mix it up and you'll be sore the next day. It works well for me... and it seems it works well for the pros.
    Last edited by BigJuice777; 12-13-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo

Johnyonemove is offline Associate Member
    No I love doing the exact same thing week in and week out especially when I'm getting gains I dont see the purpose in changing whats working. I do however believe in changing the routine up every 3 months or so, like instead of starting with flat bench I'll start with incline or decline and let those areas gain the benifits of being the first muscle with the most energy, but not every week to me thats crazy you wont be able to tell what or how uve progressed. I also dont mix up my muscle grps, EVER! I'm going for strength, so I guess if a person was going to be a crossfit guru u might incorporate multiple muscle grps/day, but thats not my thing.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i switch my routine every 3 or 4 months.. i also take 2 weeks off every 3-4 months between switching routine as i believe a week or two's rest every few months is also very important.. just my 2 cents

Johnyonemove is offline Associate Member
    Machine u def have the most clever avi yet!!!

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    About every month I switch something up in my routine. I like to keep the body guessing.

Bump... I'm curious to see more opinions.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyonemove View Post
    Machine u def have the most clever avi yet!!!
    thanks some chick i know made it for me and put it on my facebook.. it looks better close up

interested in more replies as well

i mean i understand the concept of always keeping your muscles guessing but it seems that changing your routine litterally every time you hit the gym would make it hard to make any significant improvements in weight therefor making it so you cant use as much overload which i think is more important to a natural lifter and that if you using steroids higher volume is better and i could see this working

as well i could see changing it up every time being really good for maintance once youv reached your goal but it just seems if your trying to gain it would be a bit difficult changing it up so often

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I have a general idea of the set and rep range I am planning on doing but I will definately add in a set or two if I feel I have more in the tank. I will also stop a few sets earlier than planned if I feel the muscle is fatigued to the point it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I have a general idea of the set and rep range I am planning on doing but I will definately add in a set or two if I feel I have more in the tank. I will also stop a few sets earlier than planned if I feel the muscle is fatigued to the point it needs to be.
    Agree.... the basic structure of the workout always stays the same so I know when I am getting stronger and moving up in weight. However, within that structure, I'll mix it up each time to keep the body guessing.

For me it's not so much about keeping the body guessing as it is being intuned with it.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I was just talking to someone about this the other day.

I'm starting to do more of this, as I used to be completely anal about my log.

Now, I just know what body parts I'm doing that, and like FG said the general rep range/scheme.

But other than that, I just go in there and do what I feel like doing.

iv been tempted to try the kind of free training method with a general idea of sets and reps but just kind of go in a do what you feel like because there have been times when i have been stricktly following the max ot routine which is a low rep high weight overload training style and then switched the next week to a higher rep 8-10 with much more sets and excersises and found that when i switched i felt incredibly full all week but that once i continued the higher rep routine for a few weeks it seemed less effective

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    I use a set routine think it's a lot easier and better when the muscles all get the right rest And you no what your doing atb slim

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    i go in and do what i feel like and i'll hit it hard if im feeling strong, i think keeping logs etc are more for beginners, once more exp'd you tend to have a good mental note of weights and exercises. logs can be discouraging to some if they dont see improvements on paper, not every training session will produce the goods

Rizdizzle is offline Junior Member
    I never have the exact same workout each week. They all varry slightly. I have alot of different exersices for each body part. So i always do the same amount of worksets but each week i substitute things in and out. Cables Free weights or bars. If i did one with cables one week ill do them with free weights the next etc. i always try to keep my body guessing and working through different motions. Back when i was in highschool i used to stick to a pretty strict workout but found it got boring so i started trying new things to add variety to my training and i like it much better like that now

I still think a lot of you guys are missing the point on this. It's not about switching things up and keeping the body guessing. It has to do with "intuitive training". I do agree with Dec11 on the log aspect, never kept one never will. Matter of fact I just got done with my back workout and could not tell you how many reps on I got on any set of the workout. I can tell you I was probably in the 8-15 range on almost every set but not once did I count my reps. When I felt like my mind/muscle connection was not as strong as I wanted it to be I lightened up a bit and I stopped one set short on my last exercise as my back was toast and my form was starting to waiver.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    I used to use a set routine religiously, however after reaching the plateau in my gains I learned I couldnt make anymore gains in the same routines, so I adopted a do-as-you-feel routine and my gains skyrocketed. I guess its a personal choice as everyone is different.

In the end a strict routine will only get you so far.

Rag1ngBull is offline Banned
    I also do this in some cases, like when I don't feel like doing my usual routine and I think it's good to do something different when you get sick of doing the same thing. I just do whatever groups and excercises I feel like doing and like most. Works for me

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    You CAN use a set routine and make progress

That is the key, MAKING PROGRESS

If your going to ise the same routine fine, just progresivly add weight or reps.

If u switch up too often you can loose focus of where you are and stop making Progress

Im going to be implementing a fixed training routine where i add a small amout of weight EO Week and match the reps from the previous week

Once you hit a point where u cannot beat ur previous weight rep for rep, try ot agin the following week. If you cannot make the progress change the movement...

I think this is a great tool for people to use for the big movements

Deadlift
    Squatt
    Bench
    Mill press

The weight im talking about is just 2 x 0.5kg disks Every other week

Sounds easy but that is 25KG a year which if u can achieve is excellent

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I build my entire workout around my main compound lifts (bench,squat,deads). After that I just do what I feel needs to be done.

One thing that I have found that is very ineffective is working out without a clear goal in mind. I have been aimlessly lifting for about a year now and I can tell you that all my lifts are in disarray. But I have been super busy and getting a regular workout routine is hit and miss.

My suggestion is: Set a clear goal for the short term and long term. Then stick to that goal that is set and do not waiver.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    For me its all about how i feel, poundages, rep ranges, exercises all are determined by how i feel. I could never benefit from a repetitive routine. i get really bored and feel overtrained

lil_herc81 is offline Member
    I work in groups mostly, I find it hard to follow a specific routine. I feel as though I am missing out on other angles that will work the muscle different.

AZGOLDSMEMBER86 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Everyone have parts of there body that react very well, or not so well, and some \in between, for me, my back, my chest and shoulders grow fast. So i train my weaker body parts first, pre exhausting muscles, and high to low and heave reps, training as a b.b. its all about bein the same all around, my rear delts lack some, so i train them 2 xs a week, same for calves and legs. if im bulking and loookiing for strength ill do heavy sets that ranges from 3-10 reps. and if im leaning out ill to 8-15reps. its all about what works for you, takes years of training to findout what your body likes and dosnt, even more in diet. If im off cycle, my intensity will cut back 40% sometimes. high intensity and high vol, workouts shoud be at least tried every 3-4- months to see how your body reacts...i dunno oh yeah, i also do full body workouts, pha training for endurence and cardio.. try to do pushing and pulling on different days to enhance recovery, but if i do back one day and biceps the next they might schock more growth..its all about finding whats right for you, listen to your body, ill say it again LISTEN TO YOUR BODYlol have a good one guys
    Last edited by AZGOLDSMEMBER86; 12-14-2010 at 12:29 PM.

AZGOLDSMEMBER86 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    very improtant muscle science, doing Basic compound movements, squats, bench rows, deadlifts, close grip press, barebell curls and shoulder presses.. are great to do first in your workout.

Thread Information