• 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd
  • 1 Post By Charlie67

Thread: Experience with street fights?

PeterEU is offline New Member

Experience with street fights?

Hey guys,

I am sure I will find a lot of gym or street fighters here, so maybe some of you an give me an answer.

What techniques do you use in street fight? Do you rely on fists or do you thing you should know levers and other things you learn on MMA?

Here is why I ask (if I sound silly please read carefully, I am sure it makes sense )

I want to be good street fighter. Don't ask why, I just do. Punctum. I train Muiai Thai and and I love it, but I have a problem with it: I also want to have nice shape but Thai is simply for me soooo exhausting and it makes very difficult to gain any muscle at all (unless I want to train Thai only once, twice a week and even then I can feel significant growth speed decrease). I tried MMA and it was much less intense to cardio. ...But I still like Thai more .

But the primary goal is being a good brawler. I had a couple of fights so far with but with not very strong opponents. So fists was all I needed. But next time I don't want kinda end up completely beaten by some kid just because he knows a couple lever techniques and I don't . So I wonder, should I carry on with Thai or should I switch to MMA?

And as for martial arts as Judo and so, I know that would be ideal option, but I simp0ly don't like it

Thank you for answer and thank you not laughing at me

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiccup View Post
    Street fights?

Well I have tons if experience here.

Bite chunks out of face (cheek, ear loves etc)
    Drive thumbs deep into eye sockets
    Testicles ARE NOT off limits, neither is the asshole (unfortunately)

These are tried and true street fight tactics.

Honorable? No. But neither is getting knocked out and kicked in the face/head till you end up in a coma for a few days it forever.
    My daddy always told me the only rules in a street fight are there are no rules.

Unfortunately In my younger and dumber days I had experience with this. I would say the two best things you can learn are boxing and wrestling. And by that I mean getting back onto your feet if your get knocked down. I once took a guy done jujitsu style and got my head kicked in by 3-4 people standing around that had no business in the fight other than they saw an easy target to hit. Never underestimate the allure of a coward getting a sucker punch( or kick in my case) in on someone. Once I got to my feet on that one, the guy I was fighting was fighting the crowd because they were kicking him too. Honestly thought I was going to get beat to death that night.

One on one fighting I still like jujitsu, I was getting worked over pretty good one night by a dude until I by accident slipped a punch and got ahold of him and took him down pretty hard.And by worked me over, he messed me up pretty good. That’s when I knew I needed to learn a bit of boxing. But one on one on the streets is very very rare. So being able to stay standing, avoid a take down or bodyslam and throwing good hard accurate shots and not throwing hay makers and getting caught off balance is the key.

At least that’s what I learned getting may ass kicked all those years
    Obs likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    For you Couch. I mean Hiccup

Hiccup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterEU View Post
    Hey guys,

I am sure I will find a lot of gym or street fighters here, so maybe some of you an give me an answer.

What techniques do you use in street fight? Do you rely on fists or do you thing you should know levers and other things you learn on MMA?

Here is why I ask (if I sound silly please read carefully, I am sure it makes sense )

I want to be good street fighter. Don't ask why, I just do. Punctum. I train Muiai Thai and and I love it, but I have a problem with it: I also want to have nice shape but Thai is simply for me soooo exhausting and it makes very difficult to gain any muscle at all (unless I want to train Thai only once, twice a week and even then I can feel significant growth speed decrease). I tried MMA and it was much less intense to cardio. ...But I still like Thai more .

But the primary goal is being a good brawler. I had a couple of fights so far with but with not very strong opponents. So fists was all I needed. But next time I don't want kinda end up completely beaten by some kid just because he knows a couple lever techniques and I don't . So I wonder, should I carry on with Thai or should I switch to MMA?

And as for martial arts as Judo and so, I know that would be ideal option, but I simp0ly don't like it

I've been a boxer and kick boxer for over 40 years. Well, I've actually fought for 10 years and coached the rest of the time. So I'm teaching stand up fighting at this MMA school. As long as the rules are stand up only, I'm kicking tail. The next class is a rolling class. I thought I'd hang around and see what that's like. We start standing up and I feel comfortable. In the blink of an eye I'm flat on my back with this guy on top of me choking me out. I thought my head was going to pop off. Mind you, I'm an experienced fighter but being off my feet I had ZERO leverage to do anything. If I had the choice when I was starting out, to choose muay thai or mma, knowing what I know now, I would have chosen the mma for sure.
    Obs likes this.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I have some skill in boxing but most of my experience is in wrestling (sambo, freestyle, and Greco roman). It's important to be well rounded but if I had to choose I'd rely more on my grappling skills. The odds of knocking somebody out (who knows how to stand properly/ move their head, angle, etc.) vs. getting joint lock or choke hold always seemed lower to me. I feel way more confident closing the distance and looking to improve position vs. swinging at a moving target.
    MuscleScience and Obs like this.

BenTren is offline Banned
    stick the 'ead in 'em
    Last edited by BenTren; 04-18-2018 at 03:30 AM.

YERDADDY is offline New Member
    Train as best you can. The problem is, real combat can't really be trained for. You can set up whatever kinds of drills you want in a dojo, on a gun range, whatever. But we aren't REALLY trying to kill each other, and that's a limitation that can't realistically be overcome. So the real answer to being a better street fighter would be: practice getting into real street fights. Trouble with that is you get hurt, killed, or locked up for hurting/killing others.

The real best advice is: Keep your hands to yourself and stay out of trouble. You'll live longer that way.

Fighting (actually fighting people you don't know, not MMA matches) is not a game, or a hobby, or a sport. Not one with any future anyway. Anyone who treats it as a game will eventually run into one of us who doesn't. Don't be a "tough guy".
    Marc6667 and Charlie67 like this.

Marc6667 is offline New Member
    Not much a of a fighter here, I’m a big guy so if I absolutely have to fight, I’ll get to the ground ASAP. Never know who you’re up against.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Thinking under a rush, strong core/legs, and the inability to be knocked out. The rest is taking them to the ground and raping them.

Seen several great MMA fighters get their asses straight up handed to them by drunk rednecks.

My brother was the ultimate street brawler. When he came at a guy he could take a haymaker square on the chin by anyone but it didn't matter. They were on the ground and his big ass bowed legs weren't gonna let them up. His first shoulder operation was from pounding the back of a guys head.

He has knocked more people unconcious than chloroform.
    Every toe to toe fighting teqnique is useless on the ground and you cant learn taking a hit and being unphased. Its a birthright.

Most stiffen up in a fight and get clusterfucked from adrenaline. Its the rare breed that turn off everything in their mind but killing fast and hard. Martial arts are useless against satan. After a motorcycle wreck my brother was extremely combative with police with swelling of the brain and 27 skull fractures.
    Study all you want, someone like him won't be beat on the street by tia jin jistsu or all the technique in the world.

To normal guys like me it will be whoever gets that lucky shot or two so study boxing and wrestling as MS said.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YERDADDY View Post
    Train as best you can. The problem is, real combat can't really be trained for. You can set up whatever kinds of drills you want in a dojo, on a gun range, whatever. But we aren't REALLY trying to kill each other, and that's a limitation that can't realistically be overcome. So the real answer to being a better street fighter would be: practice getting into real street fights. Trouble with that is you get hurt, killed, or locked up for hurting/killing others.

The real best advice is: Keep your hands to yourself and stay out of trouble. You'll live longer that way.

Fighting (actually fighting people you don't know, not MMA matches) is not a game, or a hobby, or a sport. Not one with any future anyway. Anyone who treats it as a game will eventually run into one of us who doesn't. Don't be a "tough guy".
    That’s the best point yet. I’m not proud to say that my buddies and I treated it sometimes as a form of entertainment. Lucky for us, none of us got killed or hurt. But looking back, that was just pure luck we didn’t run into the guy that was strapped and wasn’t about to play our little game.
    YERDADDY likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Blog Entries
    I take that back, we did get a gun pulled on us. My friend was making fun of this Eminem looking wannabe at a party. He pulled out his glock, put it up to his head and said something to the effect of you about weren’t anymore. Talk about a music stopping moment like in the movies. My buddy was ghost white, I’ll never forget that. That wasn’t really an instance of picking a fight. Just a matter of fucking with the wrong dude.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Dadbod is offline New Member
    Stick with jabs until you can shoot in and get either a knock out punch,hip toss if they are small,neck for a choke out, or legs for a take down. Key is when you get the takedown slam them as hard as you can. Got an arm around the neck? Move behind them or smash the face into the knees. Keep in mind this all cant be trained.
    You have to have that fight or flight going and just react. Not a boxer or a fighter. Just did some time behind bars and liked to fight as a teenager. That said. Check your ego at the door. If you go looking for a fight you will get whooped eventually.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterEU View Post
    Hey guys,

Sounds like the best answer is the one that you propose. IN this case it matches what a trainer says to a client. The exercise one least likes to do ends up being the one which has the potential to provide the most benefit.

carvv is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    That’s the best point yet. I’m not proud to say that my buddies and I treated it sometimes as a form of entertainment. Lucky for us, none of us got killed or hurt. But looking back, that was just pure luck we didn’t run into the guy that was strapped and wasn’t about to play our little game.
    IMO cross train BJJ and Muay Thai. Try and pick an older self defense oriented BJJ instructor like one from Gracie lineage because some newer ones focus on leg locks which have questionable effectiveness on the street. You don't need much training to better than 99% of anyone you will meet on the street. My opinion is don't get in street fights because most times they will have a weapon or friends.

You can still gain size. Just eat more. If your bjj and Muay training expends 1000 calories, eat an extra 1000 calories in your diet.

As the hodge twins might say, this is all just advice, do whatever the fuck you want to do ;-)
    Last edited by carvv; 05-20-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carvv View Post
    IMO cross train BJJ and Muay Thai. Try and pick an older self defense oriented BJJ instructor like one from Gracie lineage because some newer ones focus on leg locks which have questionable effectiveness on the street. You don't need much training to better than 99% of anyone you will meet on the street. My opinion is don't get in street fights because most times they will have a weapon or friends.

You can still gain size. Just eat more. If your bjj and Muay training expends 1000 calories, eat an extra 1000 calories in your diet.

As the hodge twins might say, this is all just advice, do whatever the fuck you want to do ;-)

the best style is "no respect"

you take me down bjj style, I'm going to bite the bigfest chunk out of your cheek I can, as well as drive my thumbs into your eye sockets.

ill say no fucks given about killing or mameing the opponent with at least an amateur level of boxing fundamentals, will take it every time.

id even bite balls off if I had to to remain conscious.

there is no ref, there are no rules, quick thinking is name if the game.

I see some one square up with some highly refined fighting skill that is obviously outmatching me, its going to get dirtayyy.
    Obs likes this.

carvv is offline New Member
    What keeps the other person who is better trained than you from also getting "dirtayyy"

People act like BJJ, Muay Thai, etc. aren't effective because they don't incorporate eye gouging, biting, groin strikes, etc. But guess what? BJJ competitors, Thai fighters, etc. can bite an eye gouge just like anyone else, and they know all of their usual techniques.

Just go to youtube and search "boxer street fight" "bjj street fight", and 19 times out of 20 it will be the trained person beating the shit out of someone untrained in a street fight

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    no one said they wouldn't

real killers don't check nuts on a board, cuzz we know we got em...
    Last edited by Couchlockd; 05-21-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    Obs likes this.

boxinggsxr is offline Junior Member
    I would say best bet is get in a real good boxing ring. You can't simply said learn how to street fight but you can prepare for it. (i've been ranked 3rd and 5th in usa boxing->ammy) So from my expierence with combat sports and ending up in some fights Boxing has been my best bet. The ability to see a punch coming and react or move before a street fighter lands it is a amazing feeling but is very dangerous. I've literally had 2 incidents where guys pulled knifes and my right and left hook has put them down. But you also have alot of time learning how to punch, how to read punches/movement and get some boxing matches (min of 10 novice then getting some open class matches- I always recommend open class matches).

But one thing I learned from accidently fighting is that every fight goes to the ground so I would highly recommend wrestling or bjj as well. Muay thai is great but boxing and wrestling I think would have you better prepared.

I will add that I've won some good fights without being hit just to have the person threaten me with a gun later on. So best advice try to avoid fighting if you can, if you can't then hopefully the guy your fighting isnt a open class boxer and a good wrestler (wrestlers are strong and unique).

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    In fifth grade a girl named Karen punched me in the nose. That's the last time I ever want to be punched in the face. I'm with Yerdaddy, pass on the fighting least you find yourself up against someone without limits.

Stay safe fellas,
    C-

Stop over-thinking, simplicity facilitate many things.
    hollowedzeus likes this.

Thread Information