MFM
    MFM is offline Associate Member

Question Is it right that the body can only digest 30g of protein in each meal?

I need a professional expert to answer me :
    Is it right that the body can only digest 30g of protein in each meal?
    So, if you take 60g the body will only use 30g and get rid of the rest.
    I mean for body builders ...

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    no that is INCORRECT

It is Parroted Info...

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Uhhh...no.

There are "rumored" numbers out there of around 80grams but I have not seen any science to back it up.

But it is safe to say 30 is not even close.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Agreed with the above. I don't know if there is a definitive answer as to how much the body can handle in one sitting, but I think it can be definitively concluded that 30g is not that number. Most people I know are doing 50g PWO... you think by now they'd have been corrected if there were any truth to that.

MFM
    MFM is offline Associate Member
    Thank you very much guys.
    Last edited by MFM; 12-13-2010 at 06:17 PM.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i think 80 or something might be accurate for normal size people but for larger people such as myself it is probably around 130-140.. There is science behind it.. as Your body can only convert so much at such a rate to building/maintaining muscle and the rest would be broken down and used for energy instead.. but it is definitly not at 30g.. it is something ridiculous like anything over 500g of meat in one sitting..

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    Your body can only convert so much at such a rate to building/maintaining muscle and the rest would be broken down and used for energy instead
    Or stored as bodyfat. Unlikely but possible, and worth mentioning IMO.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    100% of the protein you eat gets digested unless your body is not functioning properly

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    There has never really been a consensus in the scientific literature about how much protein the body can absorb in one sitting. Evolutionarily speaking, it would make no sense for the body to not be able to fully digest and assimilate all the protein that is consumed in a sitting. The only limiting factor would be the physical amount of food stuff a person could eat.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

I was waiting for you to chime in. I almost posted the link in your thread haha. I decided to just respond with a smart ass answer that helps nobody instead...

The body definitely "digests" everything, but how much you can absorb for beneficial purposes in one sitting is unanswered. Its gotta dependent on the person though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I was waiting for you to chime in. I almost posted the link in your thread haha. I decided to just respond with a smart ass answer that helps nobody instead...

The body definitely "digests" everything, but how much you can absorb for beneficial purposes in one sitting is unanswered. Its gotta dependent on the person though.
    I would agree,

Just for sake of argument given ideal physiological conditions. Other food stuffs can effect digestion and absorption. There are so so many variables that my only recommendation would be to get between 1.2 to 1.8 grams of protein per lbs of body weight. Other than that, no one really knows I dont believe.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

I would think that from a scientific standpoint you would say that 1.2 is overkill... Practical application may be different but that could be because of all the variables such as added calories and nutrients etc.. I have yet to read anything about protein Reabsorption(is that what you called it?)

Also what about kidney damage related to protein intake? My take on it is that you have to be eating insanely large amounts of protein, 85% of calories has to come from protein, and a predisposition to kidney problems will help it along.

Blog Entries
    I would think that from a scientific standpoint you would say that 1.2 is overkill... Practical application may be different but that could be because of all the variables such as added calories and nutrients etc.. I have yet to read anything about protein Reabsorption(is that what you called it?)
    Yeah your right, I meant to say per kilogram body weight. As of 2008, the NSCA recommends that a resistance training athletes consume between 1.5-2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. The broad range is because of the lack of general consensus in the literature about what exactly is the right amount.

Here is a link to Protein Recycling.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0913093038.htm

Also what about kidney damage related to protein intake? My take on it is that you have to be eating insanely large amounts of protein, 85% of calories has to come from protein, and a predisposition to kidney problems will help it along.
    I have never read any conclusive studies that have shown a link between high protein intake and kidney disease. Certainly those that have kidney problems may not want to eat 5 pounds of meat a day.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Thank you for the link!

I have a client who developed kidney disease because she thought she should only eat meat because she was getting fat and so she avoided carbs... She said she would eat a pound of meat at every meal. She said something along the lines of, "It was so easy to just eat 1 or 2 pounds of drumsticks you know?" I replied, "no, not really."

EZ E is offline Associate Member
    She said something along the lines of, "It was so easy to just eat 1 or 2 pounds of drumsticks you know?" I replied, "no, not really."
    LOL. Classic response!

Thread Information