gonnagethuge is offline Associate Member

is 3g per lb of bodyweight too much protein?

Been reading on another forum guys recommending eating upwards of 3g per lb bodyweight so theres guys eating 500-600g protein per day.

I was always under the impression this is possibly wasted.
    I'm sure there are big guys on her doing amazing between 250-350?

What do you guys think of tis?

Also is it necessary to eat more protein when on aas per lb of lbm? Obviously the amoint will increase overall due to having to compensate for getting bigger bit in terms of paer lb of lbm is there any difference in what we should eat on and off?

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    It all comes down to goals and the macros needed to hit those goals.

But 3g is a bit much.

If youre trying to bulk... you can decrease the protein amount due to increasing your carb intake. Carbs are protein sparing, so less protein is needed to achieve same result. Now Im not saying dont eat any protein, but you can go from 275g a day to 225g a day for example.

If your trying to lean out.. then lower carbs and bump up protein. Keep carb intake mainly around training and higher protein meals throughout the day.

But to answer your question... 3g of protein per lb of bodyweight is not needed... unless maybe youre pro size. But not even then because pro size takes a boat load of drugs. But thats for another thread.

fatman225 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagethuge View Post
    Been reading on another forum guys recommending eating upwards of 3g per lb bodyweight so theres guys eating 500-600g protein per day.

I was always under the impression this is possibly wasted.
    I'm sure there are big guys on her doing amazing between 250-350?

What do you guys think of tis?

Also is it necessary to eat more protein when on aas per lb of lbm? Obviously the amoint will increase overall due to having to compensate for getting bigger bit in terms of paer lb of lbm is there any difference in what we should eat on and off?
    Never been a fan of super high protein diets.

Well, I'm not one of the experts, but I know I built plenty of natty muscle on like 0.5g per pound of bodyweight.

Then again, I am also an endomorph, so gaining muscle is easy, its that other thing that is more difficult for the endomorph to do.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I leaning towards this philosophy, have mind you no research, just my Opinion.
    1g(gear)or less=1g protein per lb
    2g=2g protein/lb
    2to3g =3g protein/
    I'm guessing that would be about tops/pro bound.
    Of course this would be for bulking.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So whats the most per lb of lbm that each of you has ever used. Ans do you make any changes when on aas just because youre on aas?

Yes i'm thinking 3g per lb is way above whats required. Just seems to be a standard response to anyone on that particular forum 'yesh you need to up your pritein to 350-400g per day especially on aas'

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    No AAS 1g per lb is plenty.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think it is a bit much, depending on goals, I think 200-300g protein ed is enough for what you need to grow.

Why do you think people automatically think to up protein when on aas then?
    They tend to say that nutrient partitioning is far greater on aas so get more in. However as its far greater then woldnt it make sense to stick to about the same like youre saying (and i tend to agree. Between 1-2g/lb i feel is enough for most) and therfore get more usage and less wastage from the same amount.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    3grs/per is way to much. No need to have all those extra calories in your system for not.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

What would you say is the most each of you giys have used to good effect?

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Anywhere from 1.5g to 2g per lb of lean body mass is enough, the higher the protein the more your liver has to work and in the long run you could damage it. What i just mentioned is enough to build muscle, any excess is wasting money and potentially damaging to your liver!!!

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    Anywhere from 1.5g to 2g per lb of lean body mass is enough, the higher the protein the more your liver has to work and in the long run you could damage it. What i just mentioned is enough to build muscle, any excess is wasting money and potentially damaging to your liver!!!
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Yup i always believed this as well. Just reading another more 'local' forum and some of the things i'm reading is ridiculous.

If i was to follow its advice i would be cycling at 18 on 350g protein taking dbol om my first cycle and running adex at 1mg per day!

Wolv256 is offline Associate Member
    From what I've always heard is:

Recommended minimum for a person not doing athletic activity = 1 gram/lb

Recommended high end for someone lifting = 2 grams/lb

Best intake is probably about 1.5 to 2 grams/lb

Also, divided into about 8 meals or so, with protein at each meal.

FDA's recommended daily allowance of protein is just wrong and unfit even for mice.

Eating more protein than that is just a waste and could possibly stress the liver.
    Last edited by Wolv256; 07-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I found a pretty good article on this, and it's kinda what I try to follow.

1g of protein per pound is just fine, when juicing or cutting go closer to 2g's per pound. . . What I came up with.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Agree with most of what's been posted above. IMO, 3g is a waste of calories; i.e. those calories could be coming from a better source (carbs). Let's look at 2 diets:

Dieter A: 500g protein, 250g carbs, 75g fat = 3,675 calories
    Dieter B: 300g protein, 450g carbs, 75g fat = 3,675 calories

Both identical calories, different macro makeup. With all else being equal, I'd put my money on dieter B making better gains. Your body can only use so much protein. 'More is better' does not apply. If you want to grow, give your body the energy (carbs and to a lesser extent, fat) to do it with. Sufficient (not abundant) protein is all you need.

My general rule of thumb is 1.5-2g/lb of LBM (note: NOTE total bodyweight). To answer your question, this can be increased on cycle (but it's not a rule) - i'd probably go with 1.5-2g/lb of TOTAL bodyweight, just to get a little bump.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the rplies guys. Good stuff.

I currently work on a 2lbs per gram of current lbm basis.

Another question though. A lot of folks say to eat for the size you want to be..

Therefore might it be better that i set protein calories at an approximate level of 2g per lb of ny target lbm rather than my current lbm?

^^ I don't agree with that broscience bs. Reread where I said - 'more is better' does not apply!!!

If you want to add lean mass, eat sufficient protein, and a bit over maintenance via carbs and fats (mostly carbs).

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    What these guys said. I eat 1.5-2g protein per pound of LBM, typically closer to 2.

If I eat 1g per lb or less I notice slower recovery/increased soreness from lifting.

Okay guys. I guess i'm looking for a bit of an excuse to increase my protein a bit from my current 2g per lb of lbm approach simply because i feel likemy bulks (via carbs anf fat) tend to always add more fat than muscle to me..even on smallish surplus no matter what training regime i use.

I guess what i'll do is just go with what you said earlier gb and maybe use total bodyweight rather than lbm as a marker just to get a little bit more and see if it helps any.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagethuge View Post
    Okay guys. I guess i'm looking for a bit of an excuse to increase my protein a bit from my current 2g per lb of lbm approach simply because i feel likemy bulks (via carbs anf fat) tend to always add more fat than muscle to me..even on smallish surplus no matter what training regime i use.

I guess what i'll do is just go with what you said earlier gb and maybe use total bodyweight rather than lbm as a marker just to get a little bit more and see if it helps any.
    ^^ good idea. PS - if you're putting on too much fat when you bulk, it's due much more to a overabundance of calories rather than the macro profile making up said calories. i.e. dropping 100g of carbs and upping 100g of protein isn't going to make a difference.

Thread Information