Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience

Thread: Question about ketogenic diet

Muscletech is offline Associate Member

Question about ketogenic diet

I have a curiosity on this type of diet, so on this diet we assume low carb, until we do a normal carb load on the 7th day, but that' my question, If a do a carbo load, the next day my body will still use fat for energy or it will come back to use carb for energy?

Thanks

pasha is offline Associate Member
    Hey!! well In your case you are gonna be doing a normal load of carbs a fallowing day.. well those carbs that your body does not use will be stored in your ATP(adenosine triphosphate) which is a storage that activates for energy.. once that is used up you have PC(phosphocreatine) stores high energy in you muscles.. how much it stores depends on how much muscle mass you have.. then you have another energy system that breaks down sugar for energy, and the last source of energy in your body is aerobic oxidation and this system uses the fat in your body for energy... so ATP, PC GLYCOLYSIS( the break down of sugar for energy) are all ANAEROBIC sources of energy.. perfect for muscle contractions... now AEROBIC OXIDATION is this system you must be active, oxygen... and it uses the body fat for energy. So the next day your body will be using whats stored in your ATP at first.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscletech View Post
    I have a curiosity on this type of diet, so on this diet we assume low carb, until we do a normal carb load on the 7th day, but that' my question, If a do a carbo load, the next day my body will still use fat for energy or it will come back to use carb for energy?

Thanks
    Primarily, you're body will use glucose and glycogen stores until depleted, at which point you'll once again be on the brink of ketosis. With CKD diets like you're describing, most people never get very deep into ketosis due to the high carb day.

I'm personally not a fan of these types of diets, I have run them on 2 separate occasions with lackluster results. If you want a good source of info, use the search feature and search The 'Cyclic Ketogenic Diet' - thread started by username ToP.

Muscletech is offline Associate Member
    Thank you guys for the response,

@gbrice75: so for a normal cutting diet, you would suggest a normal diet, but with low carb?

Sorry for my bad english

the.muscled.lawyer is offline Associate Member
    Can someone explain how is it possible to eat fat for losing fat ?

I ve done some research and it is said that eating fat is necessary since it is used like energy by our body instead of carbs.

So assuming that, if we eat less fat, The body will use more fat from our fat mass ?

Right ?

I am 6.2 and 140 kg, 30 % BF

I eat 160gr protein, 10 carbs, 130 gr Fat = +- 1800 kcal

If I decrease my fat intake, shall I lose more fat ?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Your body prefers to used stored fat at rest. So your body is primed with all its aerobic and and lipolytic enzymes at a high level and insulin at a low level. If you eat dietary fat, it will not be stored it will be used as an energy source assuming your not in a supra caloric state.

Now, throw simple sugars into the mix, because it is easier for the body to use sugar almost directly as an energy source it will shut down fat utilization and start to store it through the action of high insulin levels. Insulin basically arrest fat burning and causes it to be stored and if you have a lot of extra sugar left over, it's converted to fat and stored in the fat cells.
    Blazini likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I hope OP doesn't mind my asking.....

What would macros look like for female on med protein, high fat, low carb. Thx!

the.muscled.lawyer is offline Associate Member
    is mayonnaise a dietary fat ? I read yes because olive oil is a major ingredient of its composition.

According to your explanation, the fat ratio is depending on your basic metabolic rate.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by the.muscled.lawyer
    is mayonnaise a dietary fat ? I read yes because olive oil is a major ingredient of its composition. According to your explanation, the fat ratio is depending on your basic metabolic rate.
    Yes, egg yolks is the basis of mayo

Blazini is offline New Member
    To add to MuscleScience's post, there is generally an induction period that can last several days to a couple weeks where you need to deplete your stored carbs in order to enter what is called ketosis (body realizes carbs are gone and starts to breakdown fats to create ketones for energy). It can suck bad and is referred to as the keto flu. I have been able to avoid this "flu" several times by ingesting a shitload of electrolytes in the form of Powerade Zero and supplements. It's pretty cool when you enter into ketosis in regards to all of the benefits, not just fat loss. For fat loss, your daily macros would look like this:

1g Protein for every pound of lean body mass (need to know your body fat % or have a pretty good guess)
    30g or less of Carbs
    The remainder of your calories would be filled with healthy fats (butters, nuts, avocados, etc.)

My current run of keto has generated a fat/water loss of over 20 pounds in 5 weeks. 207 down to 184 as of this morning.

Some tips:
    Forget lifting for a couple weeks while you are transitioning. Blasphemy, I know. Your lifts will be shitty and unproductive plus it will wreck your energy levels. Comeback to training slowly with heavy sets, think 5x5s. You might be able to get some cardio sessions in from the beginning if you must.

The majority of weight that is lost during the first week is water, celebrate anyway. Speaking of water, figure out how much you should drink daily and then drink twice as much. You will need it. Powerade zero all day for hydro and electrolytes.

First week or so, track your macros but disregard total daily caloric intake. You are going to feel shitty so why add to it with a caloric deficit?

Say goodbye to sugars, breads, pastas, rice, pop tarts, all that shit. You are getting your carbs from veggies now.

I could go on for days with keto info. If you have specific questions, then post them here and I will try to answer.

Thread Information