Stevus is offline New Member

Creatine and acne?

I've been taking CR5 for about 2 months now daily, and I've noticed an increase of acne on mostly my back, with a little on the sides of my torso. My face is clear and I never really had any trouble with acne when I was younger (I'm 24) but I think I have more acne now than I ever did. It's that big of a deal, but out of the ordinary, and all pretty recent. My diet is as good as it's ever been, but for some reason I'm suspicious of the creatine. Anyone experienced this?

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevus View Post
    I've been taking CR5 for about 2 months now daily, and I've noticed an increase of acne on mostly my back, with a little on the sides of my torso. My face is clear and I never really had any trouble with acne when I was younger (I'm 24) but I think I have more acne now than I ever did. It's that big of a deal, but out of the ordinary, and all pretty recent. My diet is as good as it's ever been, but for some reason I'm suspicious of the creatine. Anyone experienced this?
    sometimes. but nothing crazy. try stopping for a week of so and see if it stops. If it does you know its the creatine and its your choice wether to continue or not....

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I dont think I have ever read a single study where acne was a side effect of creatine use.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Not possible, creatine doesn't cause acne. Try washing a little bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    Gee, thanks.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I dont think I have ever read a single study where acne was a side effect of creatine use.
    But there is a recent study claiming it increased DHT levels and the T: DHT ratio.

1: Clin J Sport Med. 2009 Sep;19(5):399-404.

Three weeks of creatine monohydrate supplementation affects dihydrotestosterone to testosterone ratio in college-aged rugby players.

van der Merwe J, Brooks NE, Myburgh KH.

Department of Physiological Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa.

OBJECTIVE: This study investigated resting concentrations of selected androgens after 3 weeks of creatine supplementation in male rugby players. It was hypothesized that the ratio of dihydrotestosterone (DHT, a biologically more active androgen) to testosterone (T) would change with creatine supplementation. DESIGN: Double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study with a 6-week washout period. SETTING: Rugby Institute in South Africa. PARTICIPANTS: College-aged rugby players (n = 20) volunteered for the study, which took place during the competitive season. INTERVENTIONS: Subjects loaded with creatine (25 g/day creatine with 25 g/day glucose) or placebo (50 g/day glucose) for 7 days followed by 14 days of maintenance (5 g/day creatine with 25 g/day glucose or 30 g/day glucose placebo). MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Serum T and DHT were measured and ratio calculated at baseline and after 7 days and 21 days of creatine supplementation (or placebo). Body composition measurements were taken at each time point. RESULTS: After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001). The ratio of DHT:T also increased by 36% after 7 days creatine supplementation and remained elevated by 22% after the maintenance dose (P < 0.01). CONCLUSIONS: Creatine supplementation may, in part, act through an increased rate of conversion of T to DHT. Further investigation is warranted as a result of the high frequency of individuals using creatine supplementation and the long-term safety of alterations in circulating androgen composition. STATEMENT OF CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Although creatine is a widely used ergogenic aid, the mechanisms of action are incompletely understood, particularly in relation to dihydrotestosterone, and therefore the long-term clinical safety cannot be guaranteed.

PMID: 19741313 [PubMed - in process]

Creatine doesnt directly casue acne. But the same cant be said for an elevated estrogen, DHT and androgen level.
    Last edited by Swifto; 11-18-2009 at 03:28 AM.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Interesting study, probably the most interesting one I've ever seen reguarding creatine. Question being is the elevation of DHT by that much significant enough to lead to the developement of acne? Also there are other causes of acne besides DHT. But by what your showing it is possible that there is a link.

Congrats stevus, you can blame creatine for your acne if you want to.

Congrats stevus, you can blame creatine for your acne if you want to.
    I'll blame the creatine, but it's not bad enough to make me stop taking it. Who knows, I just noticed an unusual spike in acne around the same time I started taking creatine. It's not really that heavy so I'm not worried about it, more curious than anything.

I just thought I'd provide you guys with an update. For several reasons, mostly being very sick, I haven't been able to workout and quit taking creatine during this time. I've noticed that my problem areas with acne, on the torso has almost cleared up. Not 100% sure that the creatine was responsible in the first place, but I've been getting clearer since I haven't been taking it. Either way, on Monday I'm going to get back in my routine and start taking it again, we'll see if it comes back. Even if it does, it's not severe enough to stop from taking it. Cheers.

bob_the_builder is offline New Member
    I have never had acne problems, and from what i have read numerous times acne is just not a side effect of creatine usage, that is something else, maybe oily skin, try using soap on ur back.

NMacFar is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    agreed

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Stevus View Post
    I truly doubt that creatine is responsible. I just dont see any connection.

I'll just update you guys again. I'm no longer suspicious of the Creatine, I guess I just had an outbreak which is unusual for me. I've been back on it for about a month now and I'm pretty clear.

Thread Information