Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By kelkel
  • 1 Post By Livinlean
  • 3 Post By MuscleScience

Thread: BCAA's

  1. #1
    Jphunter's Avatar
    Jphunter is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Nj
    Posts
    170

    BCAA's

    BCAA's before workout after workout or before and after workout . What's your opinon for someone who gets there nutrition from 100% Whole Foods ?
    Last edited by Jphunter; 04-27-2017 at 06:18 PM.

  2. #2
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is online now HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    27,515
    If you're spending money on BCAA's why not just put that money into a good whey protein powder? I mean, protein is the building blocks of muscle and BCAA's are the building blocks of protein. Cut out the middle man and use a quality powder that has a load of BCAA's in it. IMHO.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  3. #3
    Jphunter's Avatar
    Jphunter is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Nj
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    If you're spending money on BCAA's why not just put that money into a good whey protein powder? I mean, protein is the building blocks of muscle and BCAA's are the building blocks of protein. Cut out the middle man and use a quality powder that has a load of BCAA's in it. IMHO.
    I was reading that it's good to take them before a workout to protect muscles , I also read that it's good to take after for recovery ( people right shit because people read shit) . I have a organic protein by orgain made souly from vegetable proteins I use in the am when I'm running late ( with peanut butter and a banana with almond milk ) so being that I eat in my truck as soon as I walk out of the gym I guess the BCAA's really aren't necessary?

  4. #4
    Livinlean's Avatar
    Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    813
    The only reason I drink BCAA intra workout is because it makes it a lot easier to guzzle down 2.5L of water. Im with Kel. Price per serving on protein is pretty close to BCAA also...
    Jphunter likes this.

  5. #5
    Livinlean's Avatar
    Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Jphunter View Post
    I was reading that it's good to take them before a workout to protect muscles , I also read that it's good to take after for recovery ( people right shit because people read shit) . I have a organic protein by orgain made souly from vegetable proteins I use in the am when I'm running late ( with peanut butter and a banana with almond milk ) so being that I eat in my truck as soon as I walk out of the gym I guess the BCAA's really aren't necessary?
    As long as you are having a solid meal pre workout, you have nothing to worry about. That post workout shake will be enough. If anything, double up on the protein scoops instead of going BCAA route (thats what I would do). My only concern is the amino profile on a veggie protein tho.

  6. #6
    Jphunter's Avatar
    Jphunter is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Nj
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Livinlean View Post
    As long as you are having a solid meal pre workout, you have nothing to worry about. That post workout shake will be enough. If anything, double up on the protein scoops instead of going BCAA route (thats what I would do). My only concern is the amino profile on a veggie protein tho.
    Rgr that , I eat whole meals before and after the gym . I usually do a shake if I'm running late am or I add one to my meal as a treat beacuase peanut butter is life : D

  7. #7
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is online now ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    12,464
    Blog Entries
    6
    The latest research is seeming to show intra-workout protein intake is best. That's with a broad spectrum amino acid profile.
    Jphunter, songdog and Livinlean like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  8. #8
    DocToxin8's Avatar
    DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land of the screwed
    Posts
    2,157
    I haven't seen the latest studies.
    But intra workout with glutamine makes sense.

    So does adding 7grams leucine to your protein and carb shake after workout.
    (Yes, add 7g or more BCAA or just leucine to your protein drink with carbs.)

    Thinking is that the fast absorption of leucine will trigger the mTOR complex differently than the slow release from protein like whey.
    And as long as there's plenty of amino acids free also that mTOR stimuli shall bolster protein synthesis, quite a lot.

    Does it work?
    It's not that expensive, just try it for a month and see.
    But it really has to be a high dose of BCAA unless it's intra workout to prevent catabolism.

  9. #9
    KINGKONG's Avatar
    KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outside the Walls
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    If you're spending money on BCAA's why not just put that money into a good whey protein powder? I mean, protein is the building blocks of muscle and BCAA's are the building blocks of protein. Cut out the middle man and use a quality powder that has a load of BCAA's in it. IMHO.
    ^^this^^^ I drink protein before after and sometimes during my workout if you take in more than you can digest ..oh well?

  10. #10
    hollowedzeus's Avatar
    hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,357
    High leucine levels promote better protein synthesis... makes sense to me to keep it elevated all day so I always have bcaa in my water. I don't know how much it actually impacts but that where I'm at

  11. #11
    Ashop's Avatar
    Ashop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,364
    I use whey isolate before and after training and its loaded in bcaa's..I've never seen the need to take in anymore in a separate supplement.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •