Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Quester
  • 2 Post By kelkel

Thread: Niacin

  1. #1
    Quester's Avatar
    Quester is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the Bluegrass
    Posts
    2,325

    Niacin

    I've got a blood test/physical coming up in a few months so I've been researching. I want to take Niacin for cholesterol but just found out, at doses high enough for positive effect on cholesterol, niacin is associated with impaired liver function. This applies to immediate release (IR) and slow/Long acting (extended release ER). The only one acceptable is the prescription one, go figure, Niaspan, it has a different formulation.
    Here's the article:
    //www.mdedge.com/jfponline/article/60319/hepatology/should-liver-enzymes-be-checked-patient-taking-niacin
    GearHeaded likes this.

  2. #2
    GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Bragging to someone
    Posts
    8,566
    yep I've heard this before.. thats why I have a giant bottle of Niacin thats been sitting in my cabinet for two years not being used.

  3. #3
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,859
    So start with a lower amount of Slo-Niacin or Endur-Acin and check bloods in a few months. I've been running one or the other for probably 5 years now with zero issues and I do blood work constantly.
    GearHeaded and almostgone like this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  4. #4
    GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Bragging to someone
    Posts
    8,566
    I've ran so many orals, and still enjoy taking them especially pre workout. plus I enjoy my whisky on occasions. so was always afraid of any supplement that might further raise liver enzymes without having enough a plus side (you know like Dbol and whisky have

  5. #5
    Quester's Avatar
    Quester is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the Bluegrass
    Posts
    2,325
    The article did state that docs run LFTs on their patients, Niaspan ones, regularly. Perhaps for those of us on TRT (regular blood tests) a Niacin formulation isn't a problem.
    I've read that the UK has drugs used for Non-Alcohol Fatty Liver, might also be worth looking into. Maybe they got something for both?

  6. #6
    Quester's Avatar
    Quester is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the Bluegrass
    Posts
    2,325
    GH,
    That's exactly my concern.

  7. #7
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    12,631
    Blog Entries
    6
    Awesome guys, thanks for sharing. I have literal never heard that before, good to know.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  8. #8
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    22,669
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    So start with a lower amount of Slo-Niacin or Endur-Acin and check bloods in a few months. I've been running one or the other for probably 5 years now with zero issues and I do blood work constantly.
    Same here for the last 2 years or so. Running Slo-Niacin and my lipids and liver enzymes are generally pretty darn good and not on any script statins or anything. Figure it couldn't hurt given the clotting disorder.
    Just looking at my last post blast labs:

    Total cholesterol - 134 range is 100-199mg/dL
    Triglycerides -54. range is 0-149 mg/dL
    HDL 44 range is greater than 39 mg/dL. I'm an old fart on TRT so throw a few more points to that value.
    VLDL 11 range is 5-40
    LDL 79 range is 0-99
    ALP 57 range is 39-117
    AST 26 range is 0-40
    ALT 30 range is 0-44
    Total globulin 2.3 range 1.5-4-5
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-23-2018 at 12:41 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  9. #9
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    12,631
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Same here for the last 2 years or so. Running Slo-Niacin and my lipids and liver enzymes are generally pretty darn good and not on any script statins or anything. Figure it couldn't hurt given the clotting disorder.
    Just looking at my last post blast labs:

    Total cholesterol - 134 range is 100-199mg/dL
    Triglycerides -54. range is 0-149 mg/dL
    HDL 44 range is greater than 39 mg/dL. I'm an old fart on TRT so throw a few more points to that value.
    VLDL 11 range is 5-40
    LDL 79 range is 0-99
    ALP 57 range is 39-117
    AST 26 range is 0-40
    ALT 30 range is 0-44
    Total globulin 2.3 range 1.5-4-5
    Those do look pretty darn descent. I’ve never in my life had HDL’s over 45 even in my early 20’s.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  10. #10
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    I've got a blood test/physical coming up in a few months so I've been researching. I want to take Niacin for cholesterol but just found out, at doses high enough for positive effect on cholesterol, niacin is associated with impaired liver function. This applies to immediate release (IR) and slow/Long acting (extended release ER). The only one acceptable is the prescription one, go figure, Niaspan, it has a different formulation.
    Here's the article:
    //www.mdedge.com/jfponline/article/60319/hepatology/should-liver-enzymes-be-checked-patient-taking-niacin
    Try amla powder also: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3326920/

    Im sure it will be cheaper. Put the powder in capsules as it tastes really bad. It increased my HDL to 65, and lowered my LDL 10-15mg.

  11. #11
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Try amla powder also: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3326920/

    Im sure it will be cheaper. Put the powder in capsules as it tastes really bad. It increased my HDL to 65, and lowered my LDL 10-15mg.

    BB from what to 65? Do you recall?
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  12. #12
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    BB from what to 65? Do you recall?
    low 40's... Max i remember was 48.

  13. #13
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    low 40's... Max i remember was 48.
    Impressive. Eventually I'm going to have to try that.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  14. #14
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    Impressive. Eventually I'm going to have to try that.
    Its cheap stuff

  15. #15
    Oliver47 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    72
    I've taken Niacin off and on for years. As mentioned above, they keys are:

    1- building up the dosage slowly.

    2- taking with food in your stomach

    3- never take when you are somewhat dehydrated or have alcohol in your system.

    The stuff is cheap and does great things for your cholesterol. I usually take just before bedtime. More on https://www.fvkasa.org/english/healt...ills-drug-test

  16. #16
    Cornish's Avatar
    Cornish is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    54
    I took increasing dosages of Niacin, drank copious amounts of water and sweat in a sauna for 5 hrs/day for 63 conswcutive days. Pretty sure I hit the 5 g mark. Felt like a new person afterward.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •