izerkon is offline New Member

Critique of current program appreciated!

Hey fellas,

Firstly, thank you for any responses in helping me critique my training program!
    I have tried to be as thorough as possible, but let me know if there’s anything I have missed out.

Stats:

Height: 6 ft
    Weight: 187 lbs
    BF: 14%
    Training years: 3

Ergogenic aids:

Currently mid cycle: Test E 500mg/wk

Other supplements: Protein shakes, Creatine (Cell-Tech), BCAA’s, Flax Seed, MCT Oil
    Diet: Diet is pretty much in check, and always make sure I have a large carb meal an hour and a half prior to workout.

Cardio:

As I’m trying to primarily bulk, I am keeping cardio at a minimum
    2x 45min weekly on rest days

Goals:

Weight: 200 lbs
    BF: ~12%

My sole goal is to bulk up, predominately upper body – already have good sized legs, and am doing just a bit of legs for maintenance more than anything.
    My weak spot is my chest, and that is the thing I would like to improve most.

Existing / Previous Injuries:

Some small problems around my L4 / L5... I’m all sweet, other than for exercises like deadlifts (unfortunately).

Current program:

I change up my reps and order of exercises slightly each week, but am unsure whether I should be doing anything else.

Warm ups:
    10 at 50% weight
    4 at 65% weight
    4 at 80% weight

Day 1: Shoulders/Triceps
    Warm up: DB Seated Shoulder Press
    DB Seated Shoulder Press 3x10
    BB Military Press 3x10
    Lat Cable Raise

Warm up: Tricep pushdown / rope split
    Tricep pushdown 3x10
    Tricep Rope Split 3x10
    Skull Crushers 3x10

Day 2: Legs / Abs
    Leg press 6x10
    Calf raise 3*20 (inner and outer)

Variation of hanging pikes / sit ups pausing for 3-5 sec just before bottom / crunches

Day 3: Back
    Chin ups (wide grip, knuckles facing me) 3x8
    Seated Row 3x10
    Lat Pulldown behind head 3x10
    Bench Pull 3x10 (stomach on a high bench, pulling the barbell up/into the bench)

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Chest
    Warm up: DB Bench
    DB Flat Bench Press 4x8
    BB Flat Bench Press 4x5
    DB Incline Bench Press 3x10
    Cable Pushdowns 3x10
    Cable Flys 3x10

Day 6: Biceps / Abs
    Chin ups (close grip, knuckles facing away) 3x8
    Preacher Curl 3x10
    Reverse Standing Cable curl (one arm 45 degrees behind body facing away from cable, pulling cable up past body and up to chest level)
    BB Curl 3x10, superset with;
    DB 21’s

Variation of hanging pikes / sit ups pausing for 3-5 sec just before bottom / crunches

Day 7: Rest

Once again boys, really appreciate any help!!!
    Last edited by izerkon; 03-11-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: forgot to add reps for chest day

Does no one have any advice?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I have just a few critics. For one you will want to add back in some leg exercises primairly squats and hamstring work. I know you said you have strong legs but the fact remains that by working your legs you work more musculature. Stressing more muscle results in overall gains throught the entire body. Also don't be afraid of cardio. Would still get 4-5 times in a week. Unless your a marathon runner you really won't burn muscle as a fuel source provide your diet is not super restrictive.

Also what specifically is wrong with your low back?
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

6ft5 is offline Member
    I'd do barbells first on any exercise for pounding heaver weight, then finnish w dumbells for that sqeeze and burn. Mayby drop set barbells every other week.. Agree with sqats and hammys add kick backs for glutes. Must work leggs for overall body growth.

6ft5 is offline Member
    Also I've been doing heavy lunges instead of sqats for legs using a bar bell w weights. Good stretch and it works all kinds of. Stabalizing muscles.

Thanks for the replies.

I will add those leg exercises in on my leg day in two days time
    Are the legs the same as other large muscle groups - so 16 sets?
    I like the idea of the heavy lunges.

MS - Ok, sounds good, I will increase my cardio. For fat loss, do you suggest 45 min at 65% of max HR, or HIIT?

My back problem – Whilst I’m not overly knowledgeable on it, I strained my L4/L5, and so my muscles overcompensate/strain in order to protect the discs? It isn’t a problem, until I do something like deadlifts, or if I lose correct posture during heavy seated rows.

It takes a bit for it to be upset, but once it has been upset during a workout, it takes very little in the following day or two to make it flare up again. It’s a sharp crippling pain for a few seconds around my lower back.

Another question – the gym I use has everything BUT a decline bench. And coincidently, the bottom section of my chest is what is lacking the most. Are there any exercises that work the same as decline bench that I could do? All I can think of is dips?

What I do at the moment to try and hit the lower chest area, is cable crossovers. In my original post I wrote “cable pushdown” but I now realise I just named it wrong. My cable machine is quite close together, so by cable crossover, I mean the cables set to their highest notch, and the starting position is hands up next to my armpits, and then pushing down to my thigh level, and then in to the centre and crossing my hands over, thus working the lower chest.

Thanks.

Thread Information