• 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By DocToxin8
  • 1 Post By fit_deskjocky
  • 1 Post By shaunjohn242002
  • 1 Post By Obs

Thread: Training traps.

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member

Training traps.

As we all know,a good set of traps,look very impressive.Some say,no matter how hard you try,without good genetics,
    you'll never have really impressive ones,yet others say they can be built with hard work.
    Mine are crap to be honest,but now that i'm training regular and hard,i'm trying to get a set.
    I've been doing dumbell,and barbell shrugs,and they're making me sore,which is good,but i'm talking 40kg bells.
    When i try to go heavier,my grip fails,and it seems to strain my problematic lower back.
    At home,i have a leverage multigym,that has a squat station.This has two pads,which rest directly on the shoulders,
    and the weight is loaded on bars around the shoulders.I get under it,stand up so the weight is resting directly on
    my shoulders,then proceed to do shrugs.
    The thing is,because my hands are taken out of the equation,i don't need grip,and can easily do 4 or 5 sets of
    15 reps,with 200 kgs,but don't feel as sore as i do at the gym.
    Does anyone think you need to engage your hands and arms for trapezius exercises,or should i expect mega traps
    in a few months (barring injury)!

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Deadlifts build traps and you don't need 15 reps.Checkout Marcus HIT thread it will help you out.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Deadlifts build traps and you don't need 15 reps.Checkout Marcus HIT thread it will help you out.
    I use the standing calf machine to do shrugs. Deads are the best way to build them as song bird said above. I also really like hangcleans for traps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    My lower disc problems (they're fucked) prevent me from doing deadlifts and standard squats.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I use the standing calf machine to do shrugs. Deads are the best way to build them as song bird said above. I also really like hangcleans for traps as well.
    The standing calf machine way,is near enough exactly the same way as i'm doing it.
    MuscleScience likes this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Try DB shrugs. You'll get a better ROM than with a BB.
    almostgone likes this.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Have you tried rack pulls?
    MuscleScience and NACH3 like this.

PT1982 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Work on your grip. Until then, use bb with straps. Deads and bent over barbell rows are killer. Traps are like anything else. If you work them to the fullest they'll grow, regardless of genes. Mix it up. Heavy weight, low rep with the compound movements. Higher reps with the isolation movements. I understand the injures, as I have many. But you have to learn how to train in spite of them without hurting yourself.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    If you cant hold 40kg dbs your grip is seriously lacking, dont use any straps and work on your forearms.

About traps, use too much weight and you wont be able to activate all muscle fibers, you will only be giving'em a good stretch.

Use proper form holding the weight on top. Ego lifting 200kgs for shrugs will not make'em grow, as you already noticed.
    PT1982 and MuscleScience like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    If you cant hold 40kg dbs your grip is seriously lacking, dont use any straps and work on your forearms.

About traps, use too much weight and you wont be able to activate all muscle fibers, you will only be giving'em a good stretch.

Use proper form holding the weight on top. Ego lifting 200kgs for shrugs will not make'em grow, as you already noticed.
    Don't think i have a grip problem,it's just the bells in the gym have thicker bars than i'm used to,i wear padded gloves,and i've
    started doing shrugs at the end of my shoulder workout,when there's little left in the tank.
    By the way,there's no ego involved in what i've been doing,it just happens that my machine was loaded with that weight,
    and i found it easy to use.As for noticing it won't make them grow,i've only done it 3 times!

Quote Originally Posted by PT1982 View Post
    Work on your grip. Until then, use bb with straps. Deads and bent over barbell rows are killer. Traps are like anything else. If you work them to the fullest they'll grow, regardless of genes. Mix it up. Heavy weight, low rep with the compound movements. Higher reps with the isolation movements. I understand the injures, as I have many. But you have to learn how to train in spite of them without hurting yourself.
    Like i said,a number of exercises are a complete no go for me,because of the arthritic discs in my lower spine.I am unable to do heavy
    compound movements,unless i want to end up in a wheelchair.I work around my problems as best i can,and i'd still like someone to answer my original question,
    do you need to engage your hands and arms to build traps.No offence intended and thanks for your input.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries

Great point BB!!! I think too much weight on shrugs is probably the single biggest mistake and reason why someone's traps don't grow.
    Mr.BB likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad the bad View Post
    Don't think i have a grip problem,it's just the bells in the gym have thicker bars than i'm used to,i wear padded gloves,and i've
    started doing shrugs at the end of my shoulder workout,when there's little left in the tank.
    By the way,there's no ego involved in what i've been doing,it just happens that my machine was loaded with that weight,
    and i found it easy to use.As for noticing it won't make them grow,i've only done it 3 times!
    Didnt understood it was a machine, was thinking of barbell shrugs with 200kgs

Still my point is to use a weight that allows you to do a full contraction and hold.

Didnt understood it was a machine, was thinking of barbell shrugs with 200kgs

Still my point is to use a weight that allows you to do a full contraction and hold.
    Jeez! wish i could lift a 200kg barbell.
    Thing is,i can do a full contraction and hold with that weight.Think i'll try slowing it right down,instead of putting
    more plates on.

Jphunter is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad the bad View Post
    My lower disc problems (they're fucked) prevent me from doing deadlifts and standard squats.
    I do my traps twice a week and my gains for traps continue to come . I started doing between 5 and 7 sets for shrugs alone and it is doing wonders for me .

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    One of the main problems I see with BB trap work is people don't pull they're shoulders back into the right position... they often roll their shoulders forward - imho pinch your shoulder blades together & retract your scapulas(almost like getting ready to bench) it's made mine much thicker and they run up into my occipital part of my skull...

DBs for height BB more for length has worked well for me... I also do 2 heavy sets but work up from 225 <--- that's my starting point can easily do 50-70 Shrugs with this Wright to get the blood flowing and I add a plate aside until it's not a controlled movement...

Deads & rack pulls are awesome as well

Jphunter is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    One of the main problems I see with BB trap work is people don't pull they're shoulders back into the right position... they often roll their shoulders forward - imho pinch your shoulder blades together & retract your scapulas(almost like getting ready to bench) it's made mine much thicker and they run up into my occipital part of my skull...

DBs for height BB more for length has worked well for me... I also do 2 heavy sets but work up from 225 <--- that's my starting point can easily do 50-70 Shrugs with this Wright to get the blood flowing and I add a plate aside until it's not a controlled movement...

Deads & rack pulls are awesome as well
    I agree 100% I actually roll mine backwards then up and it seems to clobber the entire trap . Instead of a short jerking motion I use a long exaderated motion and it has been a night and day difference .

WrongRoute is offline New Member
    Do you train forearms separately?

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Listen, and employ what I am saying, to an HIT program. Do a close grip, upright row. Instead of stopping at your chin bring the bar to your teeth BY ROLLING YOUR SHOULDERS BACK AND LIFTING THEM UPWARD, using explosive force. This will build your neck and traps like no other excersize.

Obs
    I just want to point out there is no name for this but this is what I do. My neck and traps are huge in comparison to the rest of my body. I am literally disproportionate because I can mash traps and neck like no other

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I try to stay away from shrugs to not get disproportionate,
    but when I do em, I use light weights and in full control,
    and yes, lift with the hands.
    Might be they can be activated without,
    but the traps hold the arms/hands and I wouldn't skip out on that.

St. BB rows and deads are probably what built most of my traps though.
    Nogbad the bad likes this.

fit_deskjocky is offline Associate Member
    I like to use DBs as a finisher, lightweight, 70lbs and bend the elbows pulling the DB to the back like you are doing a dip but only pull them back as far as you can to raise your trap at the highest possible extent, try to touch your ears.... do 10 reps slow then 10 reps quick. Great trap finisher. Keep your head in a neutral position, not looking up, not looking down or you'll screw up your neck.
    Nogbad the bad likes this.

shaunjohn242002 is offline Associate Member
    Time under tension. If you can't go heavy, hit them at different angles. 45 degree db shrugs on a seat. Shrug with a smith machine bar behind you.squats and deads build traps but with your injuries you got to get creative.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunjohn242002 View Post
    Time under tension. If you can't go heavy, hit them at different angles. 45 degree db shrugs on a seat. Shrug with a smith machine bar behind you.squats and deads build traps but with your injuries you got to get creative.
    Set feroce will say "all angles" and look at that bad boys traps and shoulders... they are the best in the business imo
    fit_deskjocky likes this.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Great information. Time to add traps to my light day. I gave up on them because shrugs were so minimal returns. Had no idea deadlifts hit the Traps.

Thanks again.

Ealajl is offline Junior Member
    Single DB shrug with a 2 sec negative rep.

Thread Information