Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    system admin is offline Owner

Story of how AR was created and the purpose....

Question from member:
    By the way, while we are on this topic I was wondering if this board originally had a business model before it started or was it just thrown together in a whim for purposes of allowing people to converse about aas in an open forum and exchange info and stuff. In other words, was this the direction of the board from day one or did the original founders have no idea how big AR would become and the potential/intentions to make a steady profit. Just curious to hear a little background on AR from a business perspective.

Anabolic Review.com was started by me in 2001 to drum up more business for my supplement company www.allsportsnutrition.com which I started in 1998 while attending college. I had a retail store that I opened before that with a little over $1,000 in supplements literaly. The space I rented was in the back of this broken down shack that used to be a drive through hamburger joint turned cell phone shop. I had 300 square feet at most and a sign (tiny metal sign) outside that would give my customers who used to shop with me out of the trunk my car an idea of where I was. Business started booming for me in this little space and a friend of mine got me turned on to buying domain names and websites. I created allsportsnutrition with huge dreams of becoming a big time supplement dealer. Little did I know, EVERYONE was thinking the same thing! As the internets supplement companies grew by the day, I finished my website and paid the over priced fee that the guys required to do this ****ty little site. Some how, I was ranked 1-5 on most of the search engines for very popular key words. Again... business was booming! Life was good.... Sold the retail store for 75k (remember, I only had 1k in it) and opened a bigger, more professional store. During the transition of the big move, I wanted to use some of the remaining money from the sale to better my website. Unfortunelty, I had no idea that by doing so would completley screw my web positioning. We LOST all ranking The internet business was BAD, but the new store I opened was Booming! Great! What can I do to get the internet back up and running? I tried and learned my lessons with the high priced web position companies (they saw me coming a mile away), I re-did my website with big hopes (that failed) and then realized that the only way to keep a real base of customers was to NOT have to rely on web position. I thought about what it was that I could do to get a certain type of customer in my online store. Someone who is not a weekend warrior getting ready for the summer, someone who takes training seriously and doesnt let the seasons change his training habbits, and someone who will do whatever it takes to get a good selection of products at a good price.

Bottom line.... my thoughts turned to those who used AAS. Anyone who was serious enough to use AAS, would be (hopefully) serious enough about their training ALL year long. (which meant sales ALL YEAR LONG) I had "known" someone in highschool that used steroids along with some HORRIBLE advice and though about how it would be nice to offer a FREE site to those people who needed to learn the proper way to use steroids WITHOUT the charges that EVERYONE but a very small handful of sites charged. If you didnt know, before me, there were VERY VERY few sites who were free. Now free sites pop up everywhere anyway..........

I decided to put the two ideas together and offer a place for users to learn and chat as well as buy supplements at awesome prices from the website sponsor, www.allsportsnutrition. (back then the prices were higher and the supplement business was not whored out yet. It was a business that would actually pay the bills although that is not the case now in this industry) I took some money from the profits of the retail store and invested about 15k into a small website. For those of you who remember... it was very small and ****ty BUT it was FREE. A good group of guys found the website and created an awesome message board forum without allowing bitching, moaning, complaining, and flaming. Sales were slow, but the website became a huge addicting hobby that WAS NOT doing anything but causing more bills. Supplement sales trickled in VERY slowly and picked up very little speed as we moved on. I had purchased some 200 awesome steroid domain names and my prize name, steroid.com several years ago and fell in love with my favorite past time (working out) and growing my new website.

LOOONG story short, (I am tired of writing) The website now gets between 7-15,000 VISITS a day from over 100 Counties and continues to become the best source of AAS information in the world. The supplement business is great as far as customers and orders, but is not a profitable business anymore due to all of the websites (like myself) who sell product for **** near nothing. It makes me a nice living, but it is always rocky as far as growth. We now have our own line Solid Muscle, Inc. which is TOP quality and low priced to help our customers stay faithful to us. This is now doing increadible even though it has only been around for 5 months or so. Anabolic Review will alway be a hobby, but to answer any questions........

This website was started with a business idea, but never knew it would grow to this level. We grow every year and I suspect that in 5-10 years, this website will be unmatched with providing quality information to the world on our favorite gym hobby. We started with hopes of being a huge supplement dealer and still have those plans. Day by day we get closer and with the support of our members, we will be there sooner than anyone would think. IF not.... oh well. It was one hell of an expericence and unless someone comes along and offers a ton of money for the site, or I die... this site will ALWAYS be here. The people who come together to talk and learn here are some of the coolest people I know. I wrote this to answer a question and thought it would be a cool story. Thanks to all for being an active part of this website.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Amazing. You've worked hard BC, and your toils are appreciated by all of us, they really are. Keep on truckin', and we'll do our best to help you help us keep our favorite website alive and kicking .

Georgie is offline Member
    Very interesting. Started off in a shack in college and now own a successful store. I like stories like that. A true american story!

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    d*mn... that's some deep shlt bro!
    props go to you for stickin it out through the long haul!
    Good job my man, and now just for that i'm going to allsportsnutrition to buy some supps, gloves and wraps

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    Much appreciated BC. Not sure what mistakes I'd be making if I never found AR. THanks!

LimitsAreNothing is offline Associate Member

fo sho

Thanks man, mos deffinatly. I for one will buy all my supps from yo site man. The least I can do.
    Thanks
    LAN

Quote Originally Posted by aXe
    Much appreciated BC. Not sure what mistakes I'd be making if I never found AR. THanks!
    I have made MANY! But, now with a website as full of info and knowlegable people as AR, I never worry about not getting an answer on a question. It is a great comforting feeling to know that people care about your health.

Thank you all for the comments.

By the way... in the LOOOOONG story part, I also sold my other retail business and have invested in some other projects that should come to life very soon. We now focus on our internet customers only and our new line that we intend to grow to a main stream line in a few years.

Bc

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    We now have our own line Solid Muscle, Inc. which is TOP quality and low priced to help our customers stay faithful to us
    **** skippy, just ordered 10 pounds of the chocolate

I have always wondered how AR came about. Sometime in 2001 I heard about it by word of mouth from a good friend of mine. I was too intimidated to join the forums -because I didnt know much- so I just read for a few months. Finally joined and have never looked back.

One day when I'm feelin like writing -or perhaps loaded with clomid- I'll write the story of how AR changed my life forever; what it has meant to me for this board to exist.

Thanks for all your hardwork.

peace

meat is offline Associate Member
    **** Motovating>>>

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Awesome work BC. Your work and this board are much appreciated by myself. As a result of AR I send all of my buddies to ASN for their supplement needs and AR for any cycle advice needed. This website has an incredible amount of information that one could read and study for years and yet still not fully grasp it all which is what makes this message board so addicting and fun at the same time. When I joined 2yrs ago I was planning to do a dbol and deca cycle with zero knowledge of what even PCT was. I thought Fina and Finasteride were one and the same for the first 4 months of this board I think too. Hell it wasnt until just recently that I honestly gave thought to researching the use of slin and now with the knowledge of the board I am planning to take that next step. Now anyone who comes in contact with me for AAS advice gets sent to AR just like my girlfriend has (dawn3rj) and she has become addicted to the board like myself which is a pretty badass thing I think.

Great work BC keep it up!!

You all will never know what your stories mean to me. What a great thing we have here. Thank you all

Bc

Angelis is offline Banned

Exclamation

Thanks for the site bro... ive been on here for a short amount of time and before that I would just read as a guest. Ive learned more in the past 6 months than I learned in the 1 1/2 years of research I did before AR... this site is trully the best... oh yeah and about the thing about the site being here till u die, put it in your will bro, everyone is gonna need AR long after ur gone. ITS THE BEST

Hey TCO just wondering about this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    When I joined 2yrs ago I was planning to do a dbol and deca cycle with zero knowledge of what even PCT was. I thought Fina and Finasteride were one and the same for the first 4 months of this board I think too. Hell it wasnt until just recently that I honestly gave thought to researching the use of slin and now with the knowledge of the board I am planning to take that next step.
    You say you joined 2 years ago yet ur join date says march 2004. Whats up with that?
    Last edited by Angelis; 10-12-2004 at 01:06 AM.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Pretty cool, didnt know any of that.

SKiN is offline Member
    Thanks Guy...

Surferboy is offline Associate Member
    I remember the little shop. I was in Tyler back in '98-'01 getting my Radiology degree. A couple of my friends and myself use to buy everything from there, I even had some friends who worked for you. I also remember the smoothie shop in the back, but I can't remember if that was before or after your sold Dyn Nutr. The service was always great back then and still is today. Thanks bro!

flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by system admin
    You all will never know what your stories mean to me. What a great thing we have here. Thank you all

Bc
    your story was better...... HEY, WANT TO TRADE LIVES ?!

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    great post.. inspirational

Maybe one day you will be on the cover of "Forbes"

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    ive been on the board for almost 2 years and it still rocks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Surferboy
    I remember the little shop. I was in Tyler back in '98-'01 getting my Radiology degree. A couple of my friends and myself use to buy everything from there, I even had some friends who worked for you. I also remember the smoothie shop in the back, but I can't remember if that was before or after your sold Dyn Nutr. The service was always great back then and still is today. Thanks bro!
    The Tyler shop was AFTER I sold the "small" one. The store on the Old Bullard side was where I started the idea for AR. Who did you know that worked for me? I have had some great employees!

Bc

mass junkie is offline banned
    Great Job Brian

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    D@mn good story, shows hard work does pay off....I wonder how many cases of gyno, bad sides, etc. AR has prevented? Thanks for the platform you provide to help us learn ......

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Awesome story! And huge props for your new solid muscle line. Cant wait to try out some of your upcoming products!

djboots is offline Associate Member
    great story and awsome web site MUCH PROPS!!!

tdawg is offline Associate Member
    your hard work is obv appreciated..and this site gives out great advise to help people and allow them to do things the correct way

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelis
    Hey TCO just wondering about this:

You say you joined 2 years ago yet ur join date says march 2004. Whats up with that?

I had my old account deleted and name changed for security reasons last winter. Now you get the job of trying to figure out my previous handle.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    When is your VH1 special?

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    I had my old account deleted and name changed for security reasons last winter. Now you get the job of trying to figure out my previous handle.
    Oh, oh, oh I know I know!!!! But like Superman's identity I'll keep that too myself....makes for a great mystery. hahahahaha

That is pretty cool how you started the whole business and the board and all. Takes a daring, smart and very poor man to come up with something like that. Kudos to you my good man! Kudos indeed.

Now all I want to know is................did you clone Cycleon or is he pieced together from spare parts? Or is he a robot? You picked him up off the set of "Lost in Space" and with a few batteries and a lot of chips and wires you created him didn't you? When he sees a post he doesn't like he blurts out "Danger Brian, Danger!" doesn't he? hahahahahahaha

sore24/7 is offline Associate Member
    I loved the anabolic review name. so much better. any how ,keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by sore24/7
    I loved the anabolic review name. so much better. any how ,keep up the great work.

Yes i do too, but steroid

I'm just trying to sound like i know what im talking aboot.

Big,
    Your avatar (like you mentioned) is the worst one in here!!! LOL Mine is second worst though ;-)

Sorry, I had to get that out.

Bc

GetinBig is offline Anabolic Member
    Best site EVER..
    I will continue to order from AR-R ..
    Lets keep this neverending source knowledge around!!!!

Big,
    Your avatar (like you mentioned) is the worst one in here!!! LOL Mine is second worst though ;-)

Bc
    So what you are really saying is that my avatar would win the ugliest avatar contest? If this is the case then I have the best **** avatar here.

Yes im sure Mass does like it ANABOLIC MONSTERZ
    Last edited by BigMike J; 10-12-2004 at 08:57 PM.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    awesome story bro, AR is where i got my start as a noob almost 2 years ago. this site has helped me tremendously to better understand "the dark side" a hell of a lot better. i came here knowing what i got from bro's at the gym and now i am very seasoned in the use of AAS. thanks ADMIN and all the AR staff for all you have done. HOP

EastCoaster is offline Banned
    interesting...

mass junkie is offline banned
    Big,

Bc
    I dunno, I kinda like it

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Very Cool Bri...very cool...and i am glad to be a part of this web page...XXL

sore24/7 is offline Associate Member

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I wouldn't expect anything less from you, since that is exactly what AR and ASN is all about...going that extra step for the customer! Taking an impersonable online business model and making it personal. No wonder why AR gets so many hits per day. Thanks!!!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    MM interesting and I read it in its entirety. I also purchased some supps recently(solid muscle) from you. Thanks

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    if i hadnt found you i would know nothing about pct and would be doing deca only cycles. i now know a hell of a lot more than my old school bros that juice and insist that they are doing it correctly but never seem to grow. thanks for everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information