Thread: Genetic Limit

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member

Genetic Limit

Hey guyz... Just wondering..

I see a lot of talk about reaching your genetic limit before you use gear.. What exactly us your genetic limit and how long does it take to reach it? thanx

Jackman is offline Banned
    the obvious answer is its differnt for everyone....... no one gains at the exact same rate. also depends on natural test level.

well how does each person know when this is reached?

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    well first off how old are you, second, it is going to be different for everyone. I think you'll know when you eat as much as you can and you bust your ass in the gym for a long time and dont see any gains. Have you tried eating more, switching up the routines, takin a week or so off from lifting to give your body a break?!

wired-up is offline Member
    unless you've been eating a flawless diet and pushing yourself extremely hard in the gym for several years without gaining weight or strenth, then you haven't reached it. most guys i've read on here say it took about 5 years to reach theirs with a good diet. that's why they say not to use gear till you've been on a good diet and workout plan for a couple years.

hmmm.. sooo basically even though im almost 21 i should still wait and continue to switch things up?

toolman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    hmmm.. sooo basically even though im almost 21 i should still wait and continue to switch things up?
    Not necessarily. I think if you are 21 and been lifting seriously for 2-3 years straight, I think you are ready to start using gear.

wired-up is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman
    Not necessarily. I think if you are 21 and been lifting seriously for 2-3 years straight, I think you are ready to start using gear.
    i would agree if he's been eating properly that entire time and has essentially stopped gaining muscle and weight. if he's still gaining naturally, then hold off a little longer.

calidude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman
    Agreed.

Natural Mac is offline Associate Member
    I was just thinking about this the other day. Each persons genetic limit is different. As far as strength goes (this rules out overweight guys trying to lose weight) I think a base measurement is that if you can't bench 100lbs over your own body weight, you have not reached your genetic limit. Again, this is a base line. Some guys will have no problem doing this, and they should keep going on naturally until their gains dramatically decrease. But if you can't do this weight, you haven't nearly put in the time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Mac
    I was just thinking about this the other day. Each persons genetic limit is different. As far as strength goes (this rules out overweight guys trying to lose weight) I think a base measurement is that if you can't bench 100lbs over your own body weight, you have not reached your genetic limit. Again, this is a base line. Some guys will have no problem doing this, and they should keep going on naturally until their gains dramatically decrease. But if you can't do this weight, you haven't nearly put in the time and effort.
    I dunno man for people who are just built bigger.. like bone wise etc.. thats a lot.. I way 250.. A 350 pound bench isnt light.. and some people arn't good at bench at all.. so I don't know if strength is really a good determenation of reaching your genetic limit?? thanx boys

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    I dunno man for people who are just built bigger.. like bone wise etc.. thats a lot.. I way 250.. A 350 pound bench isnt light.. and some people arn't good at bench at all.. so I don't know if strength is really a good determenation of reaching your genetic limit?? thanx boys
    No offense intented, but at 250 lbs you should be a tank. If you work out properly, have a good diet, there is little reason you shouldn't be around 12-14% bf. At this %, 350lbs wouldn't be a problem. As far as not being "good" at bench. Thats a major lift, and with 2+ years of lifting experience that should not be an excuse. Again bro, I am not trying to flame, but this should be some sort of baseline as to where you stand as far as your genetic limit. Sounds like you can go alot farther naturally. It may just take some time.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    So by your retarded definition, all natural powerlifters have reached their genetic potential.

Let me clue you in on something: strength is not indicative of whether you've reached your genetic potential. The only way to measure that in bodybuilding terms is by the mirror or on the stage. It's very much a subjective thing. Attaching numbers to your bench is a gross oversimplification.

Huge_Pimp is offline New Member
    I trained 3-4 days a week for 7 years before I made the move. But I'm Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    So by your retarded definition, all natural powerlifters have reached their genetic potential.

Let me clue you in on something: strength is not indicative of whether you've reached your genetic potential. The only way to measure that in bodybuilding terms is by the mirror or on the stage. It's very much a subjective thing. Attaching numbers to your bench is a gross oversimplification.
    Agreed. It is way oversimplified. I was in no means trying to define a level or measurement. Like I said, some people (natural powerlifters and the sort) have no problem reaching this. On the other side, I don't think I have ever met a dedicated weightlifter (5+years of training) that couldn't or haven't reached this level naturally. You have to admit, a 200lb guy benching 250lbs has not nearly reached his genetic potential, unless he has a physical impairment.

48ngoin is offline Associate Member
    Hey, Needmorestrength, ask another question you were just wondering about...this is great. Someone could get their dick knocked in the dirt if you ask a really open ended question!

bluestrm is offline Associate Member
    You have to admit, a 200lb guy benching 250lbs has not nearly reached his genetic potential, unless he has a physical impairment.
    Strength is not the way to determine your genetic limit. Some people are naturally strong, and some are not.
    You genetic limit is easy to notice when you have a good build (not layered in lard) and you are visibly larger than the majority of males in your family. Being muscular of course, being we are talking about bbing, not just lifting. When you reach a plateau and you have tried ALL means possible to break that barrier and you are just stagnating...then you are possibly at your genetic limit.

No offense intented, but at 250 lbs you should be a tank. If you work out properly, have a good diet, there is little reason you shouldn't be around 12-14% bf. At this %, 350lbs wouldn't be a problem. As far as not being "good" at bench. Thats a major lift, and with 2+ years of lifting experience that should not be an excuse. Again bro, I am not trying to flame, but this should be some sort of baseline as to where you stand as far as your genetic limit. Sounds like you can go alot farther naturally. It may just take some time.
    i dunno man I can throw around weight on incline at about the same rate as my gym owner.. but my flat bench is not good.. I really dont think strength is a factor... my close grip is amazing.. so are my skull crushers and deads etc.. but beacuse my flat bench isnt that good i havn't reached my genetic potential? really doesnt make sence if you think about it man as far as I am concerned.. strength doesn't have a genetic potential..

Quote Originally Posted by 48ngoin
    Hey, Needmorestrength, ask another question you were just wondering about...this is great. Someone could get their dick knocked in the dirt if you ask a really open ended question!

what the hell are u talking about?

My point did not come across that well. I am going to differ to bluestrm's comment,

"When you reach a plateau and you have tried ALL means possible to break that barrier and you are just stagnating...then you are possibly at your genetic limit"

IMHO this comes after several years of training though.

toolman is offline Banned
    Guys, how many can say they waited until they reached their genetic limit. I myself didn't start juicing until my mid 30's. I never stopped gaining strength and size. However the gains came alot slower than they do with gear. If you show you are committed through a couple years of lifting and good diet, and you are at least in your early 20's, then I see no harm in starting even if you aren't at your genetic limit. If your lifting half ass and n0ot sticking to a program, then the gear will do you no good.

Thread Information