9000rpm is offline Member

I think I tore a muscle

I wasn't sure where to post this, so mods feel free to move it to where it belongs.

Anyway, I was doing squats yesterday. I just finished my warmup set of 12 reps with 135lbs. I then went to my first real set of 375lbs for 10 reps. I felt a slight and sharp pain just above the back of my knee. I finished the set anyway. I wasn't sure if I hurt myself or not. It didn't feel good, but it wasn't all that painfull. So I moved up to 385lbs. I did 4 reps then had to stop. It just didn't feel right.

So now this morning, there is definetely something wrong with my hamstring muscle. It is hurting just at the top of where you can feel the ligaments attached to the muscle above the back of my knee. If I dig my fingers into it, it is sort of a dull pain.

I don't have any experience with a torn muscle, so can someone help me out? Do you think it sounds like just a bad pulled muscle, or a torn muscle.

I'm guessing I should stay light for the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    If you're worried I would just go to the doctors and get it checked out just to be safe.

soo2bhuge is offline Senior Member
    i don't think u can get a better advice in here than at the doc's office bro. goodluck!

UnNaturalBuff is offline Member
    Last edited by UnNaturalBuff; 12-09-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    see how it is tommorrow man. could be a tendon or something like that cause its right above the back of the knee, but a Dr. will know better.

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    its probably not torn. I tore both my hamstrings at the same time 6 months ago playing softball. I felt them pop and i knew right away. Both of my legs turned black from my butt to my knee.

I'll see how it feels in the next couple of days. If it continues to hurt, I'll go to the doc. Thanks for the advice guys.

thick one is offline Associate Member
    in the future, i would do a few more warm-up sets then just 1 set of 135lbs.(especially on a large muscle like legs/squats) jumping from 135 to 375lbs, your just asking for an injury.. do 3-4 warm-ups with 135x 12, 225x8, 275x6, 300x's2. then go to your heavy sets. most people i see in the gym don't warm-up properly and that definitely leads to injuries..just my 2cc's

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    If there's no bruising then it's probably not torn. And you definitely need more warmup sets. 135 to 375 is a big jump.

Too many people blow off their warmups and don't focus until they get to their work sets. That's a recipe for injury. I think most injuries probably happen because your muscles aren't warm enough. I tore my pec last year as a result of benching 315 cold, with no warmups. 315's nowhere near my max, but it didn't matter because I hadn't taken the time to warm up properly.

BDTR is offline Retired
    if it's that bad, see a doc. Not something you want to get worse, trust me on that, I'm speaking from experience.

Odin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmeat
    If there's no bruising then it's probably not torn. And you definitely need more warmup sets. 135 to 375 is a big jump.

Too many people blow off their warmups and don't focus until they get to their work sets. That's a recipe for injury. I think most injuries probably happen because your muscles aren't warm enough. I tore my pec last year as a result of benching 315 cold, with no warmups. 315's nowhere near my max, but it didn't matter because I hadn't taken the time to warm up properly.
    I agree, I always go 135, and work up one plate at a time, However I quit doing leg's for over a year now to let upper body catch up.

rixyroids is offline Associate Member
    if the feeling is deep within it may be ligament damage, i did the same thing last year and had to get a small operation to repair it but i was only out of squatting for 3-4 weeks, but from the injury to the op, i cud only do presses with a VERY light weight

hopefully, a muscle tear will b what it is, will repair faster!

Quote Originally Posted by thick one
    in the future, i would do a few more warm-up sets then just 1 set of 135lbs.(especially on a large muscle like legs/squats) jumping from 135 to 375lbs, your just asking for an injury.. do 3-4 warm-ups with 135x 12, 225x8, 275x6, 300x's2. then go to your heavy sets. most people i see in the gym don't warm-up properly and that definitely leads to injuries..just my 2cc's
    Thats a good point. I do stretch a LOT, but I do need to do more warm up sets before jumping to the higher weights.

It does feel better today. I really don't feel it anymore unless I dig my fingers into the area. So I'm guessing it's just a pulled muscle. I've just never had a pulled muscle that felt like that before. But then again, I've never pulled my hamstring either.

Anyways, thanks for the advice guys.

Thread Information