cut260 is offline Associate Member

Arrow You think its just calf strain but you are probably wrong - Compartment Syndrome

I purposely put this in the gear section due to this being usually caused by gear usage and also there are some significant complications that can result if you are using Deca or EQ during a procedure to correct this problem, so bear with me, and I am speaking from personal experience with this as you will see from the attached pictures.

There was recently a thread where a guy was asking about why the anterior side of his calves were continuing to hurt so much, and also continuing to worsen. In bodybuilding this is most commonly a result of compartment sydrome.

This is where the muscles in the calf and lower leg areas are growing too fast for the fascia wrapped around the muscle to accomodate it. The blood will flow into the muscle but becomes trapped. This causes a buildup of subcutaneous pressure that can be one of the most painful things ever felt in life. You will notice that things such as cardio, calf exercises and even normal walking increasingly become not only more difficult but painful.

This is very common in bodybuilding and can also lead to severe medical problems. If you have these symptoms you need to go see a doctor, get deep tissue massage and also a massage therapist that specializes in fascia work.

Here are some pics after my surgery and you will also see some of the complications caused by my stupid usage of Deca during the surgery period.
    If anyone has any questions or follow up let me know and I am happy to help if I can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You think its just calf strain but you are probably wrong - Compartment Syndrome-image-056-.jpg   You think its just calf strain but you are probably wrong - Compartment Syndrome-image-059-.jpg   You think its just calf strain but you are probably wrong - Compartment Syndrome-image-068-.jpg   You think its just calf strain but you are probably wrong - Compartment Syndrome-image-069-.jpg   You think its just calf strain but you are probably wrong - Compartment Syndrome-image-071-.jpg  

In my left leg I developed a severe hematoma where the wound needed to be reopened and the hematoma squeezed out. It was a bit difficult to hold the phone and take pictures while they were doing it but for sme reason I felt I needed to record this so others can avoid making the same mistake I did. You can see this in the last pictures.

The Deca caused an enormous amount of adema and because of its water retention properties it complitated things, so my only advice is if you need this procedure it is usually very simple and you are training again in 2 weeks but if you are using Deca you will be in bed for 2 weeks like I was.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You think its just calf strain but you are probably wrong - Compartment Syndrome-img_2281.jpg  

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member

I haven't had any trouble like this, but I will keep it up top for others to see.

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    What are the last two pics all about ?? Those parts of my legs kill me after a more than 10mins of running just like you say and it feels like the muscle is gonna explode. My older brother has had surgery for anterior compartment syndrome but he is not a body builder. Maybe you were just unlucky ?? I also have a friend using deca who complains a lot about these pains when he is running - he also uses winny and test enanth.

thanks

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    i think im going to be sick.

sorry to see you had to go throw that.

You probably have the same thing bro. a sonogram will show it for sure and an MD specializing in Sports Medicine can feel the area and tell you whats up. If you get it soon and get the massage you can avoid the surgery, but I was stupid and tried to work through it and it came back to bite me later on. I am totally fine now and feel great but for a few weeks I was in hell.

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    jesus have mercy...will Test injectons do the same.

This is a result from extreme muscle growth from using gear and the complications were from the fluid retention caused by using Deca . I still do and will continue to use gear but as this is really common in bodybuilders I wanted to pass along my experiences in hopes I can help some people avoid what I went through.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    you are very lucky cut260. espn aired a story of a boxer who was using decca and didnt go to doctor and had same thing and ended up losing both his legs

worldtraveln is offline Associate Member
    When you mention anterior portion exactly where is that? Is that the front side of your shin? Also do you feel the pain in your muscles or is it more a general area pain? I am asking because I have some pain in the right front part of my shin that I was assuming was shin splints but this post is getting my attention. Plus I'm pretty much a hypocondriac.

Tags is offline Associate Member
    Man, I wouldn't of thought for deca to cause such issues.... thanks for letting us all know...

LD_18 is offline Associate Member
    yea thanks for the info on that bro, i aint usin deca no more lol. that crap is nasty lol sorry u had ta go through all that

Honest Abe is offline Associate Member
    i used to get those pumps when i was taking winny. I stopped taking winny and they went away. Yes it feels like there going to explode. when i played basketball everyone keep asking me if i was ok, cause i walked around like an old man. Its just an extreme muscle pump, not fun, especially when your trying to get cut and have to do a lot of cardio. But i sure am glad my condition didn't end up like yours. Its funny i've never heard of anything like this before. People ot to know about it!
    Bump

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    sweet! im glad you made a thread about it. Mine seem to get worse day by day. Im gonna see a doc and hopefully wont need surgery but we shall see.

jordanfanatic23 is offline BANNED SCAMMING TRAITOR AKA LIL VITO AKA **TR LIVES 5 MINUTES FROM HIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    you are very lucky cut260. espn aired a story of a boxer who was using decca and didnt go to doctor and had same thing and ended up losing both his legs
    I saw that, he was like the 8th ranked boxer in the world in the 80's or something nad he lost both his legs. now he's in a wheelchair going around to schools talking to young kids enforcing them to not juice.

Zennie is offline Junior Member
    During my last cycle of deca with winny, I had the same problem. I was running and after 5 mins, I had to stop and could hardly walk because of the pump in my tibia (i think it is what it is called, beside the shin) muscles. I get it from walking up a bridge as well. Used to be like that while on dbols. Basically any AAS that causes you to have great pumps. I think the best is to stretch before and after, and also to have deep tissue massages at least once a week.

maxmuscle187 is offline Senior Member
    I get this tremendous pressure/pain thru the shin area and the calf muscle. It doesnt happen all the time but usually when i walk at a fast pace. or on the treadmill.

Meso is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle187
    I get this tremendous pressure/pain thru the shin area and the calf muscle. It doesnt happen all the time but usually when i walk at a fast pace. or on the treadmill.
    Yeah, I get that same shin pain when I jog after not jogging for a while.
    but I dont think thats the same thing as compartment syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by C130nav
    When you mention anterior portion exactly where is that? Is that the front side of your shin? Also do you feel the pain in your muscles or is it more a general area pain? I am asking because I have some pain in the right front part of my shin that I was assuming was shin splints but this post is getting my attention. Plus I'm pretty much a hypocondriac.

Its exactly where you mentioned it. It started as a general pain but then got so severe it was like ripping pain from just above the andle to just below the knee - just on the outside of the shin bone.

devilman208 is offline Associate Member
    hey cut260, I went to the doc yesterday and they were pretty much clueless. They took bloodwork and told me to get back to work. They should get back ahold of me today and I will let you know what they say. Thanks for all your input and I will keep you posted.

Thread Information