Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

How to do a source check

Once you've found a source, ask him/her for their refs. If they tell you they don't have time for that, then that's someone you don't want to deal with. Once you get the refs, send the e-mail addy with their refs and we'll go from there. If they tell you ask any mod about me, ask them what mods, you want names, not general statements.

If they tell you they don't give out customer info, beware, because you didn't ask for customer info, you asked for refs or people that back them. One thing to always keep in mind, this is a 2 way street, if they want your money you want their refs or backers, to verify they are legit. These refs will tell us if they're being backed by vets of our community or some unknowns.

You need to do some work before asking us, we can't be e-mailing refs, it's your job to do that. All we are here for is to verify if those refs are trustworthy. One more thing if a member here just joined in the last 3-4 months and has 150 posts, that should give you a clue that their member for other reasons, like selling gear or taking your money.

Play it smart and don't take whatever addy some newbie gives you. Their are a lot of new sources out there and if they don't have the backing of a few vets in our community, I'd stay away.

Here's one of the dumbest thing I've ever gotten as a source check. Hey is this guy okay, I just ordered $1k or $100 of gear. Once you send money, it's to late to ask, is he's a scammer, your money is gone.

Play it smart, don't be in a hurry to get some gear, wait and a safe reliable source will come your way. Scammers love impatient people, they'll send their money to anyone and they're ready to take it from you

JohnnyB

qw1ck2 is offline Junior Member
    great post, sticky this!

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member
    Amazing to me how this post can be right on the front page and a couple posts above or below it I see at least three questions either looking for sources, or asking how to do source checks, complaining about not getting their PM's or e-mails answered right away.

I think people often come here, don't bother to read or learn anything, and immediately expect to have their questions answered. Human nature is to be impatient and lazy I guess.

ccriderss is offline New Member
    good post... should definately be a sticky...to many people source checking on the boards and too many people complaining... people dont realize thyey need to do the research and the work... it is not up to the mods to hold everyone's hand through the process...

Great post.

Jerzey is offline Member
    bump

I think there should be a source check forum. There is a feature where only the member making the post and the mods can see the thread. Then a member could make one post, no other members could read it, and they'd get potentially 10-15 replies very quickly, and wouldn't have to wait on a PM. It could even be mods and vets who could see it all. The member could say: "XYZ" sent me the e-mail addy for "ABC Labs" ...is this legit. And then all the mods would know which members were tied into which particular lab(s)...and vice versa.

That would virtually eliminate 100% of the scamming here....as well as put everything on the table for the staff to see openly. It would also keep potential or present sources off the staff, and if it didn't it wouldn't allow them to use Steroid .com as a source of income. There would then be 0 potential for another Einsteinergate scandal. With 0 drawbacks, and the members only standing to gain, I wonder why this idea has never been utilized here, when it is used on many boards successfully?

I wonder, wonder, wonder....

peump is offline Senior Member
    this sounds logical
    is there any reason not to go this route?

Quote Originally Posted by hooker
    I think there should be a source check forum. There is a feature where only the member making the post and the mods can see the thread. Then a member could make one post, no other members could read it, and they'd get potentially 10-15 replies very quickly, and wouldn't have to wait on a PM. It could even be mods and vets who could see it all. The member could say: "XYZ" sent me the e-mail addy for "ABC Labs" ...is this legit. And then all the mods would know which members were tied into which particular lab(s)...and vice versa.

That would virtually eliminate 100% of the scamming here....as well as put everything on the table for the staff to see openly. It would also keep potential or present sources off the staff, and if it didn't it wouldn't allow them to use Steroid .com as a source of income. There would then be 0 potential for another Einsteinergate scandal. With 0 drawbacks, and the members only standing to gain, I wonder why this idea has never been utilized here, when it is used on many boards successfully?

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef

I thought AR was actually going in the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by peump
    this sounds logical

I suggested it nearly a year ago in the Mod forum. I suggested it several times over my tenure as a staff member here. It was always met with resistance from mods/smods, or welcomed openly...and then never implimented.

is there any reason not to go this route?
    Hmm...

Prol is offline Associate Member
    Bump!!!!great post

Quote Originally Posted by eGGz
    Amazing to me how this post can be right on the front page and a couple posts above or below it I see at least three questions either looking for sources, or asking how to do source checks, complaining about not getting their PM's or e-mails answered right away.

I think people often come here, don't bother to read or learn anything, and immediately expect to have their questions answered. Human nature is to be impatient and lazy I guess.
    Isn't that the truth, I got some source checks and it was obvious they didn't read this.

We're here to help not do the work for you, come on guys work with us here

JohnnyB

soldier21 is offline Junior Member
    Great thread Johhny B! Your right about being impatient it will bite you in the ass, as you know it did for me.

Prol is offline Associate Member
    bump!!!!!!!!!!Great post!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    I thought AR was actually going in the opposite direction.
    Of what? Not letting sources on staff?

RA
    Of what? Not letting sources on staff?

No, I mean the scammer forum is gone so Im thinking AR doesnt want to do source checks any other way than pming.
    Last edited by RA; 10-18-2005 at 06:54 AM.

We don't really want to be part of that kind of thing, no. We want to provide the best AAS/Training/Diet information possible, while still remaining user friendly. But, having a 1on1 forum would stop sources from being on staff, and would open things up considerably with regards to back room dealings. Not that either are a problem...

RA
    We don't really want to be part of that kind of thing, no. We want to provide the best AAS/Training/Diet information possible, while still remaining user friendly. But, having a 1on1 forum would stop sources from being on staff, and would open things up considerably with regards to back room dealings. Not that either are a problem...
    Why would having a 1 on 1 forum stop sources from being on staff?

Because if you did a "Can anyone tell me about [email protected]?" would give it away. Everyone would know ModsName was a source. And if someone said "I got ModX's name from this source list, is this source legit" then the staff would know that ModX was tied in with a particular source. Neither ought to be tolerared here, I think.

RA
    Personally I dont see a problem with mods pushing a particular source. People still have the option of going to someone else.

Seajackal is offline Anabolic Member
    Great post JohnyB, again things that are forgoten by the guys who ask for source
    checks. We never get refs names in the PMs for soruce checks, that makes things
    harder to work with sometimes we come with a "never heard about him" kinda
    answer to the guy who asked for a source check. Please guys cooperate with us!
    Thanks.

Personally I dont see a problem with mods pushing a particular source. People still have the option of going to someone else.
    I don't like the staff having vested interests, as it isn't conducive to providing optimal source checks. However, it would be different if the person getting the source check got the answer:

"I get loads and loads of free gear from the guy you are asking about, so I am obligated to tell you he's good"

And often, a source check will (according to PM's I used to get) go something like this:

"Hey...can you tell me about source A? Is he legit?"

"Yeah, he's legit, but [email protected] is much better."

A 1on1 forum will stop vested interests from being pushed over other, just as legit sources, and it will keep everything out in the open, regarding vested interests and such.

RA
    I don't like the staff having vested interests, as it isn't conducive to providing optimal source checks. However, it would be different if the person getting the source check got the answer:

"I get loads and loads of free gear from the guy you are asking about, so I am obligated to tell you he's good"

And often, a source check will (according to PM's I used to get) go something like this:

"Hey...can you tell me about source A? Is he legit?"

"Yeah, he's legit, but [email protected] is much better."

A 1on1 forum will stop vested interests from being pushed over other, just as legit sources, and it will keep everything out in the open, regarding vested interests and such.

I see your point but the mods spend lots of time teaching/refereeing for free. Maybe its not a bad thing that they push different sources.

I think it is, and certainly the owner of the site agrees with me.

DWayne is offline Junior Member
    BUMP - Great post Johnny B

I see your point but the mods spend lots of time teaching/refereeing for free. Maybe its not a bad thing that they push different sources.
    Pushing different drug dealers isn't really part of any legitimate buisness' staff, insofar as I know.

Every source on the internet gives discounts to mods. Sponsors give hookups to mods. It's not income, but certainly no mod at any major board, does it totally for free. 25-50% off, plus freebies, is typical for a mod discount, from a source. The owner of this site also offered free supps, etc...to the mods and staff. So to say everyone does that job for free isn't really accurate.

But maybe honesty would behoove people. Perhaps if a mod wants to push a source, they can say "XYZSource gives me free stuff for me to reccomend him to people...." every time they reccomend that source, or give a glowing source check on him/her?

RA
    Pushing different drug dealers isn't really part of any legitimate buisness' staff, insofar as I know.

Every source on the internet gives discounts to mods. Sponsors give hookups to mods. It's not income, but certainly no mod at any major board, does it totally for free. 25-50% off, plus freebies, is typical for a mod discount, from a source. The owner of this site also offered free supps, etc...to the mods and staff. So to say everyone does that job for free isn't really accurate.

But maybe honesty would behoove people. Perhaps if a mod wants to push a source, they can say "XYZSource gives me free stuff for me to reccomend him to people...." every time they reccomend that source, or give a glowing source check on him/her?
    I had forgotten about the mods getting freebies. Thats cool, I think they should.

Also what you said about telling people up front that they get a discount from a source makes sense.

Bytista is offline New Member
    great post dude! BUMP!

I had forgotten about the mods getting freebies. Thats cool, I think they should.

Also what you said about telling people up front that they get a discount from a source makes sense.
    How about the mods (hypothetical, as far as you know) who source? Is that cool too? If they are upfront about it?

RA
    How about the mods (hypothetical, as far as you know) who source? Is that cool too? If they are upfront about it?

I still dont see a problem with it as long as they were up front. It seems to me that a mod would have more to loose and therefore have be less likely to scam. I could be wrong..

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    For a mod on a board this large to have alterior motives could be very hazardous if he ever got in the mindset to pull a scam and disappear. Makes me think of Einstein.

I like the idea of a forum for people to post in that only mods can see, seems like a good idea to me.
    Last edited by shortie; 10-18-2005 at 09:54 AM.

RA
    Oh, and by the way, just because I think its O.K. does not mean they have ever did it to me. Every mod Ive asked for a check has been very professional and hasnt pushed their own lab.

See...there's a no sourcing policy for mods here...so I think, a mod who sources should be dropped immediately. 0 vested interests.

RA
    See...there's a no sourcing policy for mods here...so I think, a mod who sources should be dropped immediately. 0 vested interests.
    If thats the case then yes, drop em. I still do not see a problem.

Thats what I said...I mean say. Hypothetically. Say.

RA
    Thats what I said...I mean say. Hypothetically. Say.

lol, hooker, you sound like your in a back peddle.

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    This is a beaut, let's keep her bumped.

Some mods or former mods and/or members have pushed certain sources or UGLs, no one is pure as the driven snow, when it comes to sources. You don't think members passing on sources are doing for a pure, I'm a good guy reason, do you? They have a vested interest, it's part of the game. With all the competition out there sources will give a commission for new customers

I don't give out sources, I have that in my sig, so I don't push anyone over another. But as always, even if a mod gives you a source, check their backers out and e-mail those refs to make sure they actually back them. Then ask a different mod if the source is legit, ask more then one too. If that person (mod) is on the list check him out with other mods, try other boards too, not just the one he/she mods on.

So do the proper checks and above all, be safe, do just order from someone cause joeblow said he was good. You do the work, we'll verify if they are legit refs and/or source.

JohnnyB

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    i'll bump this too

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier21
    Great thread Johhny B! Your right about being impatient it will bite you in the ass, as you know it did for me.
    Yeah, good things come to those who wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information