Thread: gym mirrors

hardgainer21 is offline Junior Member

gym mirrors

what is up with the mirrors is gyms?? it seems like those things put another ten pounds on my frame. are they like that on purpose??

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I think they are. The grains are manufactured so they make people look a little wider, and with the addition of the lighting, it brings even the slightest definition out. Why? Sheer marketing and economics. People like what they see and notice results when they look in the mirror, so they keep coming back.

Shit, I ain't complaining. *haha*

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    oh also dont forget the little message on car mirrors, 'objects may appear closer than they really are' or something of that nature, just another hint that it may appear closer or, bigger...heh...nonetheless i enjoy them...

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    I love the mirrors at my gym...I think that got them from the circus...they work great

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The top lighting in the gym helps bring out a lot of muscular definition. Especially if you are used to seeing yourself with front lighting - for example, camera flashes and most bathroom lights.

Biznatch is offline Junior Member
    very observant of you, warrior. Sometimes i even intentionally work out under one of the lights in the gym, just so i look a little more defined, hehe

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    It seems that the mirrors at my gym make me look skinnier. weird?

Cali is offline Female Member
    I was thinking the same thing dizzle. Might be a different mirror in the cardio area than in the weight area. The women who are trying to lose weight don't want to see an extra 10 lbs on their frames.

There's a bar here that has a mirror just like a circus mirror. If you're the slightest bit tipsy you're gonna get sick.

overactive-girl is offline Female Member
    I noticed that too-- I always wondered why I was more defined at the gym than in my own mirror at home.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    hehe, i've wondered the same thing...now i know...=)

-clocky baby

P.S. that kinda stinks though...so now i gotta bring all my friends to the gym to show em how big i >really< am?

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quit staring at yourselves in the mirror and get back to working out. Now wonder I can't get an open bench.

Originally posted by Rickson
    Quit staring at yourselves in the mirror and get back to working out. Now wonder I can't get an open bench.
    You will have to wait then - mirrors help to keep proper form during sets and posing between sets helps to keep blood localized. FYI.

jamotech is offline Member
    Yea its a rude awakening when you think your looking nice and wide, but then you take pictures of yourself and wonder whats wrong with the camera, then realize the camera dosent lie.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by jamotech
    Yea its a rude awakening when you think your looking nice and wide, but then you take pictures of yourself and wonder whats wrong with the camera, then realize the camera dosent lie.
    bahaha, aint that the truth.

actually, could it be the reason why we look bigger in gym mirrors is cuz we got our pumps going?

-clocky baby

If you want a good photo you need to use bounce flash or off camera flash. Most consumer cameras do not have this option.

When you take a photo your flash fills up all your cuts and shadows making you look flat.

Many consumer digital cameras will work in ambient light w/ no flash so just adjust yourself under a fixture and - WALLAH! Cuts!

And yes short-term hypertrophy from workout pumps would obviously help...

McBain is offline Member
    huh I had never noticed that. I always assumed it was just because I was pumped. Makes sense I guess although I am not convinced on the lighting thing, as it would be near impossible to make the _entire_ gym like that I would think.

I shoot with a Nikon F100 film set up and trying to explain it's use to a buddy to get some good pics of myself can be like explaining the chemical make up of nortestosterone.

I am going to try and preset it with the timer and see what I can get get sooner or later...

Originally posted by McBain
    huh I had never noticed that. I always assumed it was just because I was pumped. Makes sense I guess although I am not convinced on the lighting thing, as it would be near impossible to make the _entire_ gym like that I would think.
    Not really. You just make sure your top lights are stronger than any others...

There is such thing as short term hypertrophy induced from workouts. The pump. If you do not think your gym uses lighting to make you look good, which would be a huge marketing mistake by them, look and see how you appear before you get your pump on...

Warrior,
    I was kidding sort of. However on a different note I don't agree at all that mirrors are helpful with form except maybe at the very novice level. It takes away from your focus, distracts from the mind/muscle connection, and does very little to show flawed forms. I don't think you will find many powerlifting groups who advocate the use of mirrors. I'm not even sure how someone can look into a mirror while doing heavy weights. If form is a concern I suggest you video tape the workout from two or three angles for much better feedback. As far as localized blood volume (or the pump) it looks good, feels good, can be useful in posing situations for BB's nearing a show, but doesn't do much for muscle growth in most people. FYI.

Here is a quote from Vasili Alexeyev on the use of mirrors in training. He has some great Powerlifting advice when you can find articles about or by him.

"Here they've put up a lot of mirrors in the gyms. They're good for furniture
    but not for training. When an athlete looks into the mirror he gets away from
    himself; instead he should be totally focused. In the mirror you'll see
    nothing but your image. This means that you won't understand and won't pick
    up the technique of exercise, you won't make sense out of the method. My
    advice during training is to think, think, think! ...

Originally posted by Rickson
    Warrior,
    I was kidding sort of. However on a different note ...
    I am not a powerlifter. I am a bodybuilder. I would not compete for maximum strength but rather for a symetrical well balanced physique.

So for powerlifters I can see how looking in a mirror may be distracting. But for a bodybuilder where the cosmetic is more important than the function - mirrors help a lot. For example, while doing barbell curls, check to see both sides move in the same manner - for equal lat development. More importantly in dumbell movements. Dumbell Alt Curls in a mirror can help you be sure that both arms move in the same strict manner. And so on...

For Powerlifting, maybe not. But for Bodybuilding where it is form more than function - mirrors are important for equal growth as muscle groups become larger.

Also, it is more than a physical thing with posing during training (I believe it was Arnold, not a powerlifter either, who even recommended this in his last book - stating it helps with muscle growth and response). If looking in the mirror and giving yourself a biceps flex helps you concentrate on the region at work - than do it.

If you want me to quote BODYBUILDERS, and coaches for them, who believe in both theories I can - but I still got some work to do tonight, and I some reading... just got my Anabolic 2002 in today!

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I think most BB's who are not genetic freaks lift heavy weights, low reps for growth at least all the ones I lift with do. Obviously the closer to competition they get the more they deviate from that technique. Posing can help shape muscles and I agree is good for symetry but not for growth. Enjoy the book and let us know if it is good.

BTW - low reps are not for hypertrophy. Low reps are for strength (maximum strength: 1-7 reps, hypertrophy: 6-12, muscular endurance: 30-150 - Tudor Bompa, PhD, East European strength coach)...

but anyways... agreed...

or disagreed...

yeah the book is pretty indepth so far with well atributed opinions, liking it!

GrapeApe is offline New Member
    Damn!! they might have the wrong mirrors in my gym. I think i look small so i work Harder, either that or i have a poor self image. Actually, i wish it was the mirrors..

Thread Information