luispnp is offline New Member

When does strength peak?

I see alot of powerlifters and strongmen hitting their peak in the early 30s, some even competing and winning in there early 40s. I know there are strong guys in there early-mid 20s but it seems in general strength peaks in the early 30s for alot of people, why is this even though testosterone peaks at 21 and starts slowly dropping. Why isnt it when our test levels peaks that we hit our strength prime at 21-22?

thanks for help

4linked is offline Associate Member
    They probley start lifting when there 18-20

ojm3 is offline Associate Member
    I'd say most men hit their prime early 30's.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am not so sure it's a matter of age as it is genetics.

chaps is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luispnp View Post
    I see alot of powerlifters and strongmen hitting their peak in the early 30s, some even competing and winning in there early 40s. I know there are strong guys in there early-mid 20s but it seems in general strength peaks in the early 30s for alot of people, why is this even though testosterone peaks at 21 and starts slowly dropping. Why isnt it when our test levels peaks that we hit our strength prime at 21-22?

thanks for help
    I was on a college powerlifting team, this is how I see it:

We had a guy that was lifting hard since he was around 14 (with proper coaching) and I do believe he is natty. He use to crush collegiates and now he medals internationally. This guy definitely ate his way to his natural limits - every year he was up one weight class and by the time he was mid 20's he was getting fat. To me it was clear he just wasn't gonna grow anymore. He ended up cleaning up his diet and for a guy thats around 5'6" I think he's lean just over 200. Best example of natural limits if you start early that I've seen.

Most guys on the team didn't start lifting until they were 18-20. The guys that obviously ran some cycles that didn't start lifting until this later time in their life were the only ones that won medals. No one natty that starts lifting at 18 wins shit. It also definitely matters at what point in training they got introduced to a proper coach. Lots of young kids lift but most waste their first few years doing ****ing stupid routines, eating wrong, not sleeping enough, etc. The education and discipline at an early stage matters.

If I had to put my finger on it, I would say you peak after 10 years of training. But timing matters, those that started training with proper coaching at 15 peak a hella lot higher than those start at 20. I think 25 is the natural peak, but most peak at a different time because of when they started.

Honestly, I feel like steroids do more to balance things out than they do to set records. A kid that started lifting right at 15 and continued to do so for 10 years staying natty can totally wreck non-nattys that started lifting at 20.

Strongbow is offline New Member
    Im 47 and I'm stronger now than I ever have been. As far as being in my athletic prime...well that was over a long time ago. I think we continue to fill out until our early forties provided we live a healthy life style even though our test levels have naturally decreased...weird.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
    Im 47 and I'm stronger now than I ever have been. As far as being in my athletic prime...well that was over a long time ago. I think we continue to fill out until our early forties provided we live a healthy life style even though our test levels have naturally decreased...weird.
    There are so many factors involved
    .........genetics play a huge role, maybe the biggest. A Guy with great genetics and has had the opportunity to train with a good strength coach would really have an advantage because not only is he gifted but his technique would help him achieve more as well. The injuries are what gets us at some point....some worse then others and everywhere in between.

Thread Information