man_of_steel is offline Associate Member

does anybody know anything about hernia's?please help!!!

I had one of the best workouts ever in my life the other day and got a fucking hernia out of it and was wondering if anybody else has had one,what was thier experience with it..I'm cocerned about scarring,and when I'm gonna be able to start lifting again,because its inevitable that I'll have to get some surgery done to correct it.I have a doctors appoinment monday and would appreciate any info I can get before then so I know what my possible alternatives will be and what procedures I'll favor over others..thanks guys..please help!!!

bravo11p is offline Associate Member

hernia's

Well, it depends on which type of hernia you have. There are a couple. I imagine you have an inguinal hernia, probably on the right side which is the most common for men. There are others such as ventral, umbilical, but inguinal is the most common. Sorry, but the most accepted and usual option is surgery. The reason being is that if a hernia goes unrepaired there is a chance to get a loop of bowel caught up in the hernia hole (incarcerated hernia)and you have MAJOR problems then. As in dead bowel from it being constricted and a host of other problems. There are two main approaches to an inguinal hernia repair, an open procedure and laproscopic. I am not a fan of the second due to the rate of failure. (JMO) The open is pretty straight forward. A small incision in the groin, the defect is identified and usually a peice of gortex mesh is sewn oer the defect and the incision is closed. As for training, sorry again but you'll be out of the gym for about 6-8 weeks and no heavy lifting for another 5-8 weeks. The main reason being is that force from the abdominal cavity is pushed against the defect, even though it's been repaired, the scar tissue has to form. So I imagine that your doc will tell you to stay away from lifting for about 4-6 months. But this gives u time to get really big arms I would not recommend you put off this procedure due to the risk factors involved if you were to have an incarceration of the bowel. But this will all be covered in your appt. Feel free to PM me and I can send you a more detailed outline of the surgery and recovery if you want. (Bravo11p is in no way offering nor soliciting medical advice. Only his opinion from personal experience in the surgical setting)

Psycoswole is offline Member
    Had an inguinal a few years back on my right side. Surgery sucked, was bed ridden for a day or so and did not get back to 100% lifts untill about 2 months afterward.

CYCLEON Guest
    wow - very informative, bravo!

little-man-zane is offline Associate Member
    yeah bravo....

That's alot of info i didn't know...i love this board..

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Bravo, bravo!

I'm impressed, bro . . . You have actually out TNT'd TNT!

Martin is offline New Member

Hernia

Just got over an inguenal hernia , had surgery in early November and am just starting to lift heavy again. The operation is quite simple but recovery takes an age . I was bed riden for a week and it was about 2 weeks before i could straighten up properley.
    This with the sleepless nights because of the stomach pain makes it a bit of a nightmare.
    Give it 2 - 3 months before you start to train properly again - good luck , take care.

Boston is offline Associate Member

Question

I'm curious guys... what are the symptoms of a hernia? How would you know if you had one?

Hey check it out I'm a "Senior Member" now! When did that happen? Now I'm gonna get a big head!
    Last edited by Boston; 01-13-2002 at 10:26 AM.

bravo and everyone else,thanks for the info,I trully appreciate it.this is just so damb depressing I cant even start to tell you.I'm in the best shape I've EVER been in and now I'm kinda screwed for a while.at least it's only gonna take about 2 months to totally get back,thats not too bad.I'm not gonna sit it out for 2 whole months though,theres no fucking way,I dont think I can do it..I'll take the 4-6 weeks off,but then its back to the gym I go,if all goes well..again,thanks for the advice guys,I'm really grateful..I'll let you know how it goes monday..

for boston

Boston, the usual indications for an inguinal hernia are pain in the groin, swelling of the scrotum and or pain and swelling of the inguinal area. Thats the basics. The swelling of the scrotum usually comes from fluid and or intestine migrating into the scrotal sac. Yea, sounds gross but true. Thats one good reason to wear your weight belt. It not only protects your back but also evenly distributes pressure across the abdomen. In that way you are less likely if you have the beginnings of a hernia, you don't exert as much force on the area when you wear a belt.

another thing,you know what REALLY sucks?? I just got all my gear and was about to start a big one.now it looks like that's gonna have to wait.I wanted to bulk till april/may,then cut till june(it takes me no time at all the lean out,just have to diet harder and have a little disapline..)for summer..ahhh fuck it...

Psycoswole is offline Member
    Just be glad it didnt happen mid cycle bro. Best of luck and tell us how it goes

gear

Actually, it might be good to use a little gear. About 1 week post op you could use low dose suspension weekily to speed recovery. There are some reports on using low dose AAS to spped digital matrix recovery post-operatively. I'll look for the particulars and drop a thread for you with dosages, etc.

yeah bro ... if not everyone ... i would like to be kept posted

Oxandrolone in wound healing

OK bro's, here is the summary of the study "The influence of the Anabolic Agent Oxandrolone upon the expression of procollagen types I & II mRNA in human fibroblast cultured on collagen or plastic.

Due to the length of this article I am going to paraphrase and summarize in laymans terms the results of this study from "Wounds" What this trial was trying to identify is can Oxandrolone speed wound healing? YES!!!!!! using 3ml, the granulation tissue content of type III collagen increased 30% total of the collagen (which is essential in wound healing) What the study proves is that the use of Oxandrolone helps to speed the granulation process of wound healing. I can go into specifics if you would like and give you all the boring details of this rather long article but the proof is in the pudding. And they think AAS is just for muscle heads DOn't ask me for the dosages because they were not stated in the article but I will find out if needed. Let me know about your appointment with the surgeon. Also an important question to ask is if the Doctor is going to use mesh!!!!!

just another good to outweigh the bad with AAS!!

I was wondering that myself,about doing some juice in low dosages during recovery time.but a question there: wouldnt it be more likely to convert to estrogen since I would be doing virtually no pysical activity while in recovery?

aromatization

Oxandrolone has shown no aromataise activity but I imagine it's hard to get a hold of. I would try to find an AAS that is very similar to Oxandrolone and take it in a small dose. i.e. the medically theraputic dose, not the BB dose. Arthurb999 would be someone I would holler out to on this one. macrophage69alpa (I think) is another one. Cycleon or TNT also. AAS is not my direct field of expertise. Ask me anything about surgery and I got the answer but AAS I am still learning about. I dont think that taking a theraputic dose would cause aromataise activity with most any AAS. It's when you take the BIG BB doses you have those problems though correct me if I am wrong. I will do some more research on the JAMA and NEJM databases and see what I can find for you though.

thanks for the informative replies,appreciate it..

Thread Information