USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member

Need some medical advice bros

I know this the wrong forum but more people go to this one than any other so I'm posting to get more repiles.Ok here is the info. Everytime I bench press I dont exactly have pain in my left shoulder but it's more of a burning sore feeling. It gets aggravated by heavier weight and even if I do a lot of reps with a light weight I sometimes get the same result. Also I'm very unpredictable with chest I may have a good set and then when I go heavier I may go to total muscle failure in one shot. Also when I press and if i'm tired the last inch or two that I come down to my chest for the rep I sometimes completely collapse. It always seems the weight gets 20 times heavier the last inch. Also I should have mentioned this earlier but I also have a clicking in my shoulder. If i turn my arm like a windmill it clicks everytime. Flies hurt the shoulder even more and I cant do them free weight. Also when i bench I have to turn my shoulder a little as the weight comes down because it almost feels impossible to come down safely if i dont. It use to click with free weight rows but the clicking actually stopped.
    I been to a doctor and had x-rays taken and they came up negative and he found nothing wrong.
    Do any of you bro's experience the same problem or have experienced it? I dont want to get an MRI because I'm going to the police academy and I may have to turn over my medical records to them and I'll be disqualified for this. Just need some advice from anyone who has an idea what i'm talking about.....thanks all.

DF2003 is offline Banned Boofus

hurt

bicep tendon!

not a doc

but im not a doc so its just my opinion same symptoms i had and it was my bicep tendon. they have a tendency to pop out of place while training

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    I know this the wrong forum but more people go to this one than any other so I'm posting to get more repiles.Ok here is the info. Everytime I bench press I dont exactly have pain in my left shoulder but it's more of a burning sore feeling. It gets aggravated by heavier weight and even if I do a lot of reps with a light weight I sometimes get the same result. Also I'm very unpredictable with chest I may have a good set and then when I go heavier I may go to total muscle failure in one shot. Also when I press and if i'm tired the last inch or two that I come down to my chest for the rep I sometimes completely collapse. It always seems the weight gets 20 times heavier the last inch. Also I should have mentioned this earlier but I also have a clicking in my shoulder. If i turn my arm like a windmill it clicks everytime. Flies hurt the shoulder even more and I cant do them free weight. Also when i bench I have to turn my shoulder a little as the weight comes down because it almost feels impossible to come down safely if i dont. It use to click with free weight rows but the clicking actually stopped.
    I been to a doctor and had x-rays taken and they came up negative and he found nothing wrong.
    Do any of you bro's experience the same problem or have experienced it? I dont want to get an MRI because I'm going to the police academy and I may have to turn over my medical records to them and I'll be disqualified for this. Just need some advice from anyone who has an idea what i'm talking about.....thanks all.
    If you are getting a muscle injury, could be a tear or strain in muscle, then you need to lay off the affected muscle or it will get worst. Lay off it a while, like skip a week or two on that muscle. The muscle will shrink a little but muscles also have memory and return quickly later when reworking it. Then when you come back, dont work it to exhaustion, lower the weights to a more comfortable level and one that doesnt cause pain. After this in 2 week steps start increasing the weights again but only when you sense some healing going on and reducing pain.

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    I got confused by the bicep tendon thing, where is the pain at... Is there any swelling, is there any brusing, my shoulders click also if they are not warmed up and i do a windmill..

Throw a lil more info bro

Everytime I bench press I dont exactly have pain in my left shoulder but it's more of a burning sore feeling. It gets aggravated by heavier weight and even if I do a lot of reps with a light weight I sometimes get the same result. Also I'm very unpredictable with chest I may have a good set and then when I go heavier I may go to total muscle failure in one shot.

thats why i think bicep tendon

tendon

the bicep tendon runs up your shoulder

I would assume a rotator cuff, If these are poorly developed they would be the first to go, you don't use much of your biceps when benching, its a pushing motion, not pulling...

USfighterFC give some more info bro

There really is no pain just the outter delt will be hot and sore for a little while, there is no swelling and no bruising and no lingering effects after the workout. But at times when I bench press it feels like my shoulder may break in half if I dont have a spotter who is watching me and actually having his hands on the bar to prevent a collapse. I'm capable of doing the weight for a few reps like everyone else but my mind is always on my shoulder during the bench. Going up with the weight isnt what has me nervous its coming down with it that scares the sh** outta me.

LM1332 Guest
    ok this is what i got

Shoulder injuries are relatively common among bodybuilders. Heavy Bench Press, Dumbbell presses, and shoulder presses put a particularly high degree of stress on the shoulders.
    Heave stress can cause partial tearing of the rotator cuff. It is also possible to overstress any part of the three heads of the deltoids or their tendons of insertion or origin.
    Another possible problemin the shoulder area is subdeltoid bursitis. A bursa is a closed cavity in the connective tissue between a tendon and an adjacent bone that move relative to one another. It provedes a lubricated surface so that the tendon can glide directl ovet he periosteum of a bone. Bursitis is an inlammatory condition in which a bursa is not able to do its job and movement in the area causes pain and difficulty. And the way to deal with that is with extensive vitamin supplementation, treatment by a chiropractor, and a light training until it healed.
    Biceptial tendinitis is another common shoulder problem in which the biceps tendon working back and forth gets inflamed because of the stress and friction. Medications such as corisone are frequenly indicated in treatment of shoulder injuries such as this.
    In the even of shoulder injury, it is sometimes possile to do shoulder excercises at different angles Bent Over Laterals instead of front presses for exmaple to work the rear head instead of the front one or to simply use the flushing method and hold heavy dumbbells out to the side which will keep the deltoids toned and firm prior to contest.

Alright this is it ill do some reasearch on chest muscle because it might be involved too

Sometimes there will be a little pain where the usual surgery for a rotator cuff injury takes places but nothing major. It's usually just the burning sore feeling i get no sharp pain unless i do flies then I feel a sharp pain in that location.

LM1332 Guest
    you might be dropping weight too quickly while doing a bench press this can cause a very heavy and sudden jerk to the whole pectoral structure (includes flys) warm up before doing anything

cuff

i believe if it was the cuff you would have pain around under your arm pit
    i have had similar pains and it was the bicep tendon not due to benches just the tendon popping out of place due to growth. i would just warm up and stretch more but if it continues to bother you or get worse lay off and see a doctor

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    There really is no pain just the outter delt will be hot and sore for a little while, there is no swelling and no bruising and no lingering effects after the workout. But at times when I bench press it feels like my shoulder may break in half if I dont have a spotter who is watching me and actually having his hands on the bar to prevent a collapse. I'm capable of doing the weight for a few reps like everyone else but my mind is always on my shoulder during the bench. Going up with the weight isnt what has me nervous its coming down with it that scares the sh** outta me.
    I would say if you can safely handle weight with it until your negative, it must be your form... Is it just one shoulder, It doesn't look like your injured, it just looks like you need to change your form up before you get injured, try putting your pinkys on the outer ring on the barbell...go maybe a lil wider and see if that takes some strain off your front/side deltoids and focuses more on your chest... If you were injured you'd feel it, torn muscle, tendon, rotator cuff..((knock on wood)) You'd feel the pain bro without a doubt and it wouldn't go away....

Try to lighten it up for a couple chest days and work on your form, find a way to comfortable lower the bar...

good luck bro

Hit us back if you need anything else

I appreciate all the responses from you guys I wasn't expecting it so quick. But going to what you said 50%animal i actually come down real slow with the weight if I came down fast my shoulder would fall apart. I have to take it slow to ensure myself that I wont be seriously hurt

Thanks guys I appreciate all of the advice. I'll take your advice and let you all know what happens.

LM1332 Guest
    oh np man i am just trying to help out
    Last edited by LM1332; 01-13-2004 at 12:44 AM.

no prob

no problem bro thats what this board is for just remember if you can give a bro some advice pay it back so to speak hope it gets better

My first guess would be a strained rotator cuff. Take the arm that is injured and point it straight out to the side...now bend your elbow 90 degrees so your fingers are pointing down....put the back of your injured hand against the small of your back....with your other hand, pull the elbow of your injured arm forward while keeping the hand of that injured arm against the small of your back. If you feel pain in your rear delt area, it's a rotator cuff problem. Especially since you said you feel it most on the negative of your bench movement. Bursitis is also a possibility, but you'd more than likely feel it at other times too.

LM1332 Guest

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It sounds as if you have a rotator cuff injury..Very common among strength training athletes and often overlooked for treatment. .

If the pain persists, then you really need to see a Doctor..If it is a RC injury, then continued lifted is only going to aggravate the problem and possibly cause more severe damage..

It's better to get it looked at now then to wait where it will require surgery and physical therapy..A Police Academy is not going to drop you from a list just because you have an injury..If they see it as an immediate problem, they may bump you to another class, but to drop you for medical reasons is not legal unless they can articulate that the injury would keep you from performing your duties..Quit wasting time and go get checked out!

Doc M

Thread Information