Slugger is offline Junior Member

Lyle Alzado died of AIDS not brain cancer?

I just got done watching a videotape of the Lyle Alzado SportsCentury episode on ESPN Classic (good story until the bull**** about roids killing him). Anyway it was a group of us watching it and the debate turned to did the roids in ANY WAY shape or form contribute to his death.

Ofcourse I know roids don't cause brain cancer, but of couple of my friends are very ignorant. Anyway, ok follow me here, my friends father said he knew a sports reporter in California (I assume LA since that where he played at the end of his career) that said there were many rumors that he was bisexual and could have gotten AIDS but he wanted it hush hush.

Is there any truth to this at all? Did anyone ever hear of anything like this?

alpineslide is offline Junior Member
    I've heard it. I believe what I heard was that he died of T-cell lymphoma, which is a form of cancer prevalent in AIDs patients. I could be wrong though.....maybe somone else could expand on this.

BrownBomber is offline Member
    I look up to Alzado (excpet for the gay **** if that was true and the rec. drug use) that man was as intense as the y came and is ability to rise over some of the **** he went through when he grew up is very inspirational. He always had his eyes on his dream.

Later on in his career he was known to be big into the paryt scene where they used a bunch of recreational drugs that were administered by needles, which they all shared. And we all know what that can do. Im not saying he used them, but its just one of the many rumors I hear.

Another (Which I tend to beleive) is the fact that he was a HUGEEEE fan of HGH, not GH, but HGH. HGH comes from human cadavors (Sp?) and GH is a synthetic version of GH. This is where i beleive he contarcted the AIDs virus from but thats just my opinion.

LAter
    BB

Slugger is offline Junior Member
    I personally don't think he was gay but he may have gotten AIDS.

skii96 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBomber
    I look up to Alzado (excpet for the gay **** if that was true and the rec. drug use) that man was as intense as the y came and is ability to rise over some of the **** he went through when he grew up is very inspirational. He always had his eyes on his dream.

Later on in his career he was known to be big into the paryt scene where they used a bunch of recreational drugs that were administered by needles, which they all shared. And we all know what that can do. Im not saying he used them, but its just one of the many rumors I hear.

Another (Which I tend to beleive) is the fact that he was a HUGEEEE fan of HGH, not GH, but HGH. HGH comes from human cadavors (Sp?) and GH is a synthetic version of GH. This is where i beleive he contarcted the AIDs virus from but thats just my opinion.

LAter
    BB
    Thats exactly it he used that old GH, which in and of itself had its own nasty sides from what ive heard! Anyways GH is known for its ability to accelerate the growth of cancer cells in the body, so he would have gotten the brain cancer anyway it just might have taken a little longer thats all.

GeoQuadzilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skii96
    Thats exactly it he used that old GH, which in and of itself had its own nasty sides from what ive heard! Anyways GH is known for its ability to accelerate the growth of cancer cells in the body, so he would have gotten the brain cancer anyway it just might have taken a little longer thats all.
    Yep the reason the fda banned hgh in the first place was because of the amount of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease found in many of it's user... The hgh was taken from the brains of dead people... and the bacteria that cause's CJD can only be killed by heat... but the catch is heat renders hgh ineffective so at best they used to pasturize the hgh... leaving a lot of the bacteria left. Lyle probably got his Hgh from a black market source... it's bad enough that he was using hgh... but some of it could have been manufactured dirty... and the aids comment could very well be valid... because Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease has an incubation period of 10-30 years before the effects of the disease really show up... so I guess it's all speculation but I think the aids comment is more valid.

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    It is sad he died, but what is worse is how the doctors and media blame it all on the gear he used. Bottom line is, unless he really did have aids and there was a cover up the experts can't say the gear he used caused his cancer. Fact is they don't know, but it was a nice easy out to say the gear was the cause.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCopy
    It is sad he died, but what is worse is how the doctors and media blame it all on the gear he used. Bottom line is, unless he really did have aids and there was a cover up the experts can't say the gear he used caused his cancer. Fact is they don't know, but it was a nice easy out to say the gear was the cause.
    He was the one that swore up and down that it was the steroids that gave him cancer. I have seen videos of him were he would go on a rant about how he knew it was the roids. Whether he was just saying that to hide something, of course I don't know.

boliver is offline New Member

lyle alzado

I worked with Lyle for 1 yr. He had many women in & out. Not once did I see drugs on the man. He told me that he never stopped taking roids. But drugs, I offered them to him and he refused. I then quit at that time. thx lyle u saved my life.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    He was in football so...no telling how or what he died from. Doubtful that it was the roids that caused his cancer...but certainly could have been the old style hgh. That chit sounds nasty.

pittbulldad is offline Associate Member
    T-cell just describes several non-hodgkins lymphomas.. so that may not be a case to say he had AIDS..

however Burkitts lymphoma is very common in AIDS patients.. Burkitts is a very rare disease in adults since it usually shows up in children. without knowing exactly what he had all you can do is speculate.

on a side note I've worked in cancer therapy for 7 years... and I have never heard of cancers caused by steroids ... steroids are actually given to many cancer patients

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    stop bumping 5 year old threads

pittbulldad is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey_6t9 View Post
    stop bumping 5 year old threads
    Didn't realize it was that old.. someone probably bumped due to the video on the main page.

blondebomber is offline New Member
    Ive known for many years that Al died of aids,a close friend of mine and HIS told me.ive just never heard it discussed.its like seeing a UFO.Do you tell people?would they believe you.but yes he died of aids.

Samaritan is offline New Member

Not the Gear...

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCopy;***808
    Actually Lyle Alzado's doctors (ALL of them) refused to blame it on steroids . They knew full well steroids don't cause brain cancer and refused to lay the blame on anabolics. They do however concede that his use of hGH is likely to have contributed.

So who then is responsible for laying the blame on AAS? Who else, the popular media. Anything to sell headlines. There was and is NO empirical evidence to back up the media's claims about steroids.

When Lyle blamed his sickness on his long term steroid use he was lumping everything he used under the banner/moniker of "steroids" including hGH.

Greg Hanlon is offline New Member

Journalist inquiry on this matter

Quote Originally Posted by blondebomber View Post
    Ive known for many years that Al died of aids,a close friend of mine and HIS told me.ive just never heard it discussed.its like seeing a UFO.Do you tell people?would they believe you.but yes he died of aids.
    Blondebomber, I'm a journalist looking into the cause of Mr. Alzado's death for a major national print publication.

I wanted to speak with you about this -- we could be off-the-record if you'd like. Can you email me at greg.hanlon[at]gmail.com ? Thanks.

Greg

Thread Information