Thread: Sesame oil base

dawgy52 is offline New Member

Sesame oil base

Alright here is one of those questions that nobody ever thought to ask. I might have to take a drug test soon for a new career opportunity and although I know that they dont test for gear they do test for marajuana and of course other illegal narcotics. Well I always heard that you can test positive from eating sesame seeds. I dont know if this is an old urban legend or what but if it is true and alot of the testosterones use sesame oil as a base can this make you pop positive on a drug test. This might be a stupid question but I just had to ask it.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    along time ago when i was on probation I asked my PO about this myth and he said you'd have to eat 20lbs of pure poppy seed a day before a test for it to show a positive result for coke.
    I'm sure the same would apply to marajuana/sesame seed.
    Not a bad question though.

db2
    db2 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    along time ago when i was on probation I asked my PO about this myth and he said you'd have to eat 20lbs of pure poppy seed a day before a test for it to show a positive result for coke.
    I'm sure the same would apply to marajuana/sesame seed.
    Not a bad question though.
    your po is very confused bro. eating one poppy seed muffin can result in a positive for Morphine on drug test... I have seen this tested on discovery channel. Also all drug clinics now specifically state to all clients "do not consume poppy seeds during treatment, as it may show up as a false positive." Dont know about the sesame seed tho, that is a good question.
    Last edited by db2; 02-27-2004 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by db2
    your po is very confused bro. eating one poppy seed muffin can result in a positive for Heroin on drug test... I have seen this tested on discovery channel. Also all drug clinics now specifically state to all clients "do not consume poppy seeds during treatment, as it may show up as a false positive." Dont know about the sesame seed tho, that is a good question.
    I dunno about that. I had poppy seed bread quite a few times before piss test's and never showed positive.
    Did u say you saw it on discovery channel? Was it that show myth busters or something? I'm not saying your wrong, but I'd like to see proof.

db2
    Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    I dunno about that. I had poppy seed bread quite a few times before piss test's and never showed positive.
    Did u say you saw it on discovery channel? Was it that show myth busters or something? I'm not saying your wrong, but I'd like to see proof.
    yes that is the show. also it was on urban legends on mtv. bro, the true myth is that you have to eat 20lbs for it to show a positive. also why would your po tell you it would show positive for coke? that is impossible, poppy seeds come from poppy plant, and have traces of morphine, therefore show positive for opiates or morphine. here are some of the substances that show false positives. i will get some more later. oh yea one more thing, if you test positive for morphine or opiates for eating poppy seeds, your ****ed! because upon confirmation the lab cannot tell the diffrence between eating poppy seeds and doing morphine. but it can tell the diffrence between taking ephedrine and meth. as ephedrine will also show false positive for meth.

Ibuprofen
    Ibuprofen is a common pain reliever and anti-inflammatory which even in low doses used to cause a false positive for marijuana/cannabis on the EMIT test. The EMIT has been changed to use a different enzyme to eliminate these drug test false positives. But recent evidence suggests that Ibuprofen taken in very high doses, along with other anti-inflammatories such as Naproxen will still interfere with the EMIT test.

Decongestants and Cold Remedies
    Phenylpropanolamine and ephedrine are both substances found in many over-the-counter cold remedies. They can result in a drug test false positive for amphetamines on the EMIT test. Antitussives, to suppress coughs, such as dextromethorphan and perylamine may cause a drug test false positive for opiates.

Anti-depressants
    Aside from when this class of drugs is specifically tested for, some of them including amitriptyline can test positive for opiates for up to three days after use. Even quinine in tonic water can also cause a positive result for opiates.

Poppy Seeds
    Poppy seeds which are usually found on bread contain traces of morphine and can lead to positives for opiates. Codeine, which is found in many pain relievers, may cause a false positive for morphine or heroin because of its similar chemical structure.

Antibiotics
    Certain newly developed antibiotics including amoxicillin and ampicillin have been reported to cause false positives for cocaine.

DHEA
    This treatment developed for use by AIDS patients will cause a false positive for anabolic steroid use .

Benzodiazepines
    Diazepam may cause a false positive for PCP.

Enzymes
    A small fraction of the population excrete large amounts of certain enzymes in their urine which may produce a positive drug test. The enzymes in question are endogenous lysozyme and malate dehydrogenate, which according to research may run as high as 10% of positive samples.

Melanin
    Melanin is the pigment which protects skin and hair from UV light. It is also very similar in chemical structure to THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol, the active component in cannabis) and some data exists claiming it causes false positives for cannabis. Unfortunately, an equal amount of data suggests that there is no link whatsoever.
    Last edited by db2; 02-27-2004 at 07:31 PM.

db2
    I got this from www.varian.com. In there question and answer section on drug tests. It says eating one poppy seed bagel can result in a "TRUE" positive for morphine or opiates. Once again this sucks because confirmation test in lab will not be able to distinguish the two.

Q: Can eating poppy seeds cause a false positive drug test for heroin?
    A: Eating poppy seeds cannot turn a drug test positive for heroin. However, poppy seeds do contain morphine. Therefore, eating poppy seeds (e.g., a poppy seed bagel) can result in a "true" positive result for opiates, more specifically, morphine. At the new cutoff levels required by the federal government in testing for opiates and the subsequent search for a metabolite that is exclusive to heroin called 6-acetylmorphine (6-AM) during the confirmation testing phase, it is very unlikely a false positive for heroin will occur.

dawgy52 is offline New Member
    Thanks for all the research guys. I started reading up a little more on sesame oil and couldnt find a link to false positives occuring in drug tests from it. That would suck getting nabbed for eating a poppy seed bagel though. If your gonna get busted it might as well be from the real thing! But I never even talked to anyone thats ever done opium. Is opium found in certain drugs or is it a drug you take on its own? Hey MBaraso are you related to the profesional hockey player Tom Baraso? Thanks again guys!

Good info! However like I said i've had poppy seed bread before 9 pannel piss test's and showed negitive.
    Just for the fck of it i'm gonna order a 9 pannel drug screen, eat 3 poppy seed rolls, then take the test the next day and see what happens.
    Maybe the results will be benificial to our members :-)

Thread Information