Receiver84 is offline Associate Member

Forward Laterals

I'm having trouble figuring out the forward lateral rule by the NFL and other leagues. Let me explain.

Case 1 - Quarterback is scrambling, crosses the line of scrimage, and then throws a pass which is complete. The receiver takes off down field. Does the play stay alive until the receiver hits the ground/scores/fumbles, etc???

Case 2 - Now assume the receiver catches a legal pass downfield. He now attempts to throw a legal lateral but instead throws an illegal foward lateral. Now the fun part. The foward lateral doesn't hit its intended target and falls to the turf. Is this illegal foward lateral a live ball/fumble or is it automatically a dead ball (forward pass)? I feel it should be live and fumble but I a fellow agruing with me that this is not the rule.

Thanks for any help.

Thedudex2000 is offline Junior Member
    case 1- it is a penalty, you cannot throw a pass beyond the line of scrimmage.

case 2- im not sure

dude

keithquig is offline Associate Member
    case 2- if the ball is thrown foward and the player that the ball is thrown to does not catch it it is a fumble but if the team that fumbled it recovered the ball it would be a foward lateral but if the opposing team recovers it it is there ball

dmcf99 is offline Junior Member
    case 2 is actually a penalty also... think about it this way..... everwonder why people just dont fumble the ball forward out of bounds to get extra yards?

Thread Information