Chris Columbus is offline Junior Member

use of insulin increasing pills

I know people like to use insulin injections, and that they supress natural insulin production. There are pills such as glucotrol that increase natural insulin production thereby not affecting the pancreas in a negative way. Does any one attempt to use such pills (e.g. glucotrol)?
    Last edited by Chris Columbus; 04-13-2004 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    I use Chromium Picolinate.

Chromium Picolinate: Benefits
    As an essential trace mineral, chromium picolinate enhances blood sugar control by enhancing the effects of insulin . Therefore chromium picolinate influences carbohydrate, lipid and protein metabolism.

Insulin users may experience enhanced blood sugar control when supplementing with chromium picolinate. This may allow the user to lower their insulin dosage.

Because chromium picolinate controls insulin it has also gained attention as a weight loss aid. Some studies show chromium picolinate promoting an increase in lean muscle mass.

Chris Columbus is offline Junior Member
    yea I use that too and I find it to be good stuff. I don't think I was quite as clear as I needed to be with my question

What I am talking about is the use of pills by non-insulin dependent (type II) diabiabetics to control their blood sugar. I am wondering if they have bodybuilding application.

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    CHROMIUM PICOLINATE

Chromium is a trace element found in brewers yeast, organic meats, whole grains, cheese and nuts. It is a nutrient required for good health. Chromium is also an essential cofactor for the hormone insulin which regulates the metabolism of protein fat and carbohydrates. In 1982, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) discovered and patented a biologically active form of chromium called picolinate. The USDA then licensed the patent, to provide the benefits of this discovery to the American consumers.

Extensive research published in scientific and technical journals shows that daily supplementation with at least 200 mcg. of chromium picolinate can:

(1) reduce body fat,

(2) retain and build lean muscle,

(3) lower elevated blood sugar,

(4) reduce cholesterol levels,

(5) extend the lifespan of laboratory animals.

A study by Drs. Kaats and Blum which included 154 moderately obese (20 to 25% over ideal weight) people showed that when they supplemented with 200 to 400 micrograms of chromium picolinate for 72 days without any other lifestyle changes, they lost an average of 4.2 pounds of body fat compared to just 0.4 pounds for those in the placebo group. A double blind study conducted by Dr. Schneider targeting moderately obese diabetics (who are significantly insulin resistant) on a calorie restricted diet showed that supplementation with choromium picolinate aided fat loss, especially abdominal fat. Supplementation also showed significant improvement in glucose control. These studies indicate that chromium picolinate supplementation has a positive affect on the body composition of moderately obese people.

How does it work?

The following is an explanation of how chromium picolinate works as stated by Dr. Julian Whitaker's Health and Healing: Tomorrow's Medicine Today. Chromium enhances the body's sensitivity to insulin - a hormone that helps metabolize sugar and, in fact, is essential for it. Ninety percent of those of us who have diabetes have Type II, or non-insulin dependent diabetes, which, by definition, is caused by an insensitivity to insulin. Chromium has been shown to reduce complications from diabetes by lowering blood glucose levels by 18% and the important glycosylated hemoglobin by 10%. These affects were reached with only 200 mcg. of chromium per day.

Nine out of ten people do not get an adequate amount of chromium in their diet because:

(1) they do not eats foods containing chromium

(2) chromium is lost during food processing

(3) chromium is not required by plants so it will be poorly supplied by plants in chromium depleted soil

(4) a high sugar diet causes a loss of chromium from the body

(5) the form of chromium in many foods is not easily absorbed. Chromium deficiencies can cause difficulites in regulation of blood sugar. It has been shown that supplementation of 200 mcg. of chromium picolinate daily can benefit some type II (adult-onset) diabetes and people suffering from hypoglycemia.

Chromium picolinate is safe. In clinical studies involving 200 to 400 mcg. of daily chromium picolinate supplementation, no adverse side effects have been noted.

The recommended dosage is one 200 mcg. capsule or tablet twice daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Columbus
    yea I use that too and I find it to be good stuff. I don't think I was quite as clear as I needed to be with my question

What I am talking about is the use of pills by non-insulin dependent (type II) diabiabetics to control their blood sugar. I am wondering if they have bodybuilding application.
    Things like metformin (glucophage) or rosiglitazone (avandia) can increase insulin sensitivity. I know metformin works by a couple different mechanisms to control BG....I'm not so sure it would be very beneficial to us. It's also hepatotoxic (but what isn't?). Avandia is something I don't know lots about. I can dig up more on it later. In either case, these are used for very moderate insulin resistance or in conjunction with insulin, so that lower doses of insulin are needed.....very mild in comparison to actual insulin.

Thread Information