TOkidd is offline Productive Member

Relief from steroi-induced acne

This is a repost from the AAS Q&A forum, but I figured it wouldn't get buried so fast here and could help a lot of people:

As a preface to this little article, I'd like to establish my credentials as something of an expert in acne treatment, having used just abut every prescription and OTC remedy available. When I was 18, I developed a nasty case of acne that did not respond to conventional treatments and had to go on Accutane eventually. Ultimately, I needed 2 courses of Accutane to obtain long-term relief, and I had little to no scarring.
    As I started my first cycle of test and dbol last year, I began to break out again pretty badly, so I tried Pro-activ, and it did not work very well. I saw my dermatologist, and she prescribed me a new topical medication called Tactuo (Epiduo in the US), which is a combination of Benzoyl Peroxide and a retinoid called Adapalene. The medication worked quite well, but not nearly as well as Accutane. However, I consider Accutane a med of last resort, and advise that people only use it under the supervision of a dermatologist.
    Anyhow, my cycle was cut short, and the acne eventually started to disappear after PCT .

This time around, I prepared myself much better for acne before I started my cycle, and have managed to find a very effective regimen that should be effective for 90% of AAS users. Most of this information comes from a book called The Acne Cure by a dermatologist whose name I cannot remember. Having tried so many different approaches to acne over the years, including tetracycline, minocycline, benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical cream, Salicylic Acid, Proactiv, and many other treatments, this regimen has finally cleared my skin entirely of acne, and is flexible enough that it can be adjusted for the severity of the situation. The regimen consists of three parts, two of which do not change. It is the final step where some changes can be made. So here we go:

Step one: 2% Salicylic Acid face wash. Neutrogena Oil-Free Face Wash is the best product I could find because it contains no sulphates, parabens, or other irritants. If you can't find it, any 2% Salicylic Acid face wash should be sufficient. Wet your hands and face with warm water, apply a small amount of face wash, work into a lather, then work it into your skin thoroughly. Leave the soap on your face for about two minutes before rinsing off. Do this twice a day - once in the morning, and then in the evening, as the first step of the three-step process.

Step two: 8-10% glycolic acid toner. Neo-Strata Step One Toner is a great product with an 8% glycolic acid content. This step is especially important because it will dissolve plugs that lead directly to pimples. In the evening, after washing your face with the Salicylic Acid face wash, dry your face comletely and apply the toner. It will burn a bit, and might take some getting used to. Allow it 10 minutes or so to do its thing, and them proceed to step three.

Step three: the reason step 3 can have some variation is because, based on the severity of the acne, different products can be used. For mild to moderate cases a simple high-quality 5% Benzoyl peroxide acne cream will suffice, while more serious cases should be treated with a stronger topical cream like Tactuo (Epiduo), or any other topical medication with Benzoyl Peroxide. Consult a dermatologist to find the best topical medication for your needs. Other than your choice of medication, step three is fairly simple. After allowing the glycolic acid to do its work, get an ice cube or two, a paper towel, and your topical med of choice. Now rub the ice on your face until the skin is cold but not frozen - this is apparently a dermatologist trick that helps the skin absorb topical medication. When your skin is sufficiently chilled, quickly dry with a paper towel, and then apply the medication all over your face.

To avoid any confusion, remembers that only step 1 is repeated twice daily. The other two steps are done in the evening before bed.

That's the regimen, and after 14 years of dealing with acne, it is by far the most effective I have encountered other than Accutane.

In addition to this regimen, you can possibly take an antibacterial antibiotic like minocin in addition to topical stuff in more severe cases. The point is, this can be customized depending on the severity of your problem, using a high-quality OTC BP topical cream if your acne is fairly mild, or using a prescription strength medication that includes clindamycin or Adapalene if your situation is more severe.

Also, even though I have described using this procedure on your face, your back and shoulders will benefit equally, though you may need a partner to apply the various compounds. Use ths daily for the month leading up to your cycle, and all through your cycle, and you will find acne to be much less of a problem.

Hope this is helpful.

TOkidd

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    great post!

just curious..do you have any experience with Pan Oxyl?

Pam-oxyl? Absolutely. It's a high-quality OTC Benzoyl Peroxide topical cream - 5% I believe. A good first choice for mild acne, especially for use in stage 3 of my program. Much better than Clearasil or Oxy. However, it may not be strong enough for more serious cases, where an additive like Adapalene or Erithromycin/Clindamycin will make the BP more effective. Also adding an oral antibiotic like tetracycline, or the stronger, more expensive Minocin will be especially helpful for the more severe cases. If none of this works, Accutane is the only recourse.

TOkidd
    Last edited by TOkidd; 09-02-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    great post!

just curious..do you have any experience with Pan Oxyl?
    PAN OXYL AND ACNE ANNIHILATOR FROM
    http://www.platinumlabz.com/servlet/Detail?no=2
    Last edited by Razor; 09-03-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Regardless of how good these products may have worked for you, they are proabbly only going to help people with mild acne. Panoxyl is just straight Benzoyl Peroxide, albeit a very high quality preparation.

The reason for my three-step process is that each individual step deals with a particular aspect of the process that causes acne:

-Salicylic acid penetrates deep into to the skin, working as an anti-inflammatory, and an antibacterial to prevent future breakouts. It's also a great anti-oxident, which is excellent for the overall look of your skin.

-Glycolic acid is extremely important because it attacks the key process whereby pores become plugged and acne pimples form - the shedding of dead skin cells, and the potential for those skin cells to block the pore rather than be pushed all the way to the surface of the skin where they can be washed away. Glycolic acid literally melts these dead skin cells, unblocking your pores and simultaneously doing wonders for your complexion by evenning skin tone, and reducing the appearance of marks from previous pimples.

-The final step is the most important, and the cooling of the skin with ice is a crucial detail. Topical acne creams do not easily penetrate deep into the skin, and especially deep into the pimple where it's needed most. The cooling of the skin allows this medication to penetrate deeper into the skin, where it can kill acne bacteria and help dry out the lesion. However, for those who have more severe acne, Panoxyl and other OTC topical creams and gels just aren't strong enough. I've recommended the pricey but very effective Tactuo (Epiduo in the US) which combines BP and a retinoid called adapalene. Sufferers of more severe acne will find this much more effective than any OTC product. Also, other prescription creams and gels that contain BP and an antibiotic like erithromycin or clindamycin work very well and are a little cheaper. Backing this up with an oral antibiotic like tetracycline, or the more powerful and expensive minocycline will clear all but the most severe cases.

Please remember that this 3-step program must be repeated every single day, and takes 4-6 weeks for optimal results. Therefore, it is advised that you start the program at least a month before starting your cycle for best results, rather than waiting until you're five weeks in and your face and back are breaking out like crazy.

TOkidd
    Last edited by TOkidd; 09-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    thanks Razr!

Quote Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
    Regardless of how good these products may have worked for you, they are proabbly only going to help people with mild acne. Panoxyl is just straight Benzoyl Peroxide, albeit a very high quality preparation.

The reason for my three-step process is that each individual step deals with a particular aspect of the process that causes acne:

-Salicylic acid penetrates deep into to the skin, working as an anti-inflammatory, and an antibacterial to prevent future breakouts. It's also a great anti-oxident, which is excellent for the overall look of your skin.

-Glycolic acid is extremely important because it attacks the key process whereby pores become plugged and acne pimples form - the shedding of dead skin cells, and the potential for those skin cells to block the pore rather than be pushed all the way to the surface of the skin where they can be washed away. Glycolic acid literally melts these dead skin cells, unblocking your pores and simultaneously doing wonders for your complexion by evenning skin tone, and reducing the appearance of marks from previous pimples.

-The final step is the most important, and the cooling of the skin with ice is a crucial detail. Topical acne creams do not easily penetrate deep into the skin, and especially deep into the pimple where it's needed most. The cooling of the skin allows this medication to penetrate deeper into the skin, where it can kill acne bacteria and help dry out the lesion. However, for those who have more severe acne, Panoxyl and other OTC topical creams and gels just aren't strong enough. I've recommended the pricey but very effective Tactuo (Epiduo in the US) which combines BP and a retinoid called adapalene. Sufferers of more severe acne will find this much more effective than any OTC product. Also, other prescription creams and gels that contain BP and an antibiotic like erithromycin or clindamycin work very well and are a little cheaper. Backing this up with an oral antibiotic like tetracycline, or the more powerful and expensive minocycline will clear all but the most severe cases.

Please remember that this 3-step program must be repeated every single day, and takes 4-6 weeks for optimal results. Therefore, it is advised that you start the program at least a month before starting your cycle for best results, rather than waiting until you're five weeks in and your face and back are breaking out like crazy.

TOkidd
    good stuff bro. just a question on your last step. i would tend to think that the ice on your face would close up any pores and prevent the absorption of the topical? no? just wondering out loud here..

thanks again

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TOkidd

TOkidd
    You obviously never tried the stuff from platinumlabz.com

They don't call it acne ANNIHILATOR for no reason

And it has 2% Salicylic Acid as well

MickeyKnox:
    In regards to your question about the ice, I thought it was pretty counterintuitive as well, but I read it in a book written by a well-known LA dermatologist who states that cooling the skin is an old dermatologist trick used to help facilitate the absorption of topical medications by the skin. I'm not a dermatologist, so I cannot confirm this, but I'll take his word on it. I know we've always been told that heat opens up the pores, but I don't think opening the pores has anything to do with the efficacy of this technique, but rather somehow allowing for greater absorption of medication through the outer layers of the skin. All I can say is that it's worked for me - anecdotal, yes, but still.

Razor:
    As far as Acne Annihilator, I'm glad that it works for you, but as I said before, it's most likely a blend of OTC meds like salicylic acid and BP. It may work well for mild and even moderate acne, but will probably not work for more severe cases. The above program is for all but the most severe cases (where Accutane is required). As I detailed above, each step has its purpose. It's not just about the ingredients, it's about how you use them, and the order in which you use them.

TOkidd
    Last edited by TOkidd; 09-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Razor is offline Banned
    MickeyKnox:
    In regards to your question about the ice, I thought it was pretty counterintuitive as well, but I read it in a book read by a well-known LA dermatologist who states that cooling the skin is an old dermatologist trick used to help facilitate the absorption of topical medications by the skin. I'm not a dermatologist, so I cannot confirm this, but I'll take his word on it. I know we've always been told that heat opens up the pores, but I don't think opening the pores has anything to do with the efficacy of this technique, but rather somehow allowing for greater absorption of medication through the outer layers of the skin. All I can say is that it's worked for me - anecdotal, yes, but still.

Razor:
    As far as Acne Annihilator, I'm glad that it works for you, but as I said before, it's most likely a blend of OTC meds like salicylic acid and BP. It may work well for mild and even moderate acne, but will probably not work for more severe cases. The above program is for all but the most severe cases (where Accutane is required). As I detailed above, each step has its purpose. It's not just about the ingredients, it's about how you use them, and the order in which you use them.

TOkidd
    You have a great thread should help lots of people!! If I ever get anything that Acne Annihilator and Pan Oxly can take care of I will use your protocol and ask questions
    Last edited by Razor; 09-04-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    [QUOTE=TOkidd;6143197]MickeyKnox:
    In regards to your question about the ice, I thought it was pretty counterintuitive as well, but I read it in a book read by a well-known LA dermatologist who states that cooling the skin is an old dermatologist trick used to help facilitate the absorption of topical medications by the skin. I'm not a dermatologist, so I cannot confirm this, but I'll take his word on it. I know we've always been told that heat opens up the pores, but I don't think opening the pores has anything to do with the efficacy of this technique, but rather somehow allowing for greater absorption of medication through the outer layers of the skin. All I can say is that it's worked for me - anecdotal, yes, but still.

I aint no rocket surgeon but,

My guess would be that by chilling and shrinking the skin and all that it encompasses then applying the medication, when the pores open, since the openings of the pores are coated with the medication, the medication will be drawn into the pores and as the Sebaceous Glands will expand as they continue to open. Thus penetrating deep into the pore and Sebaceous Gland structure, whereas application to an open pore ( hot ) will only coat the outer portion of the pore with minimal penetration.

FFM

Far From Massive said....

I aint no rocket surgeon but,

My guess would be that by chilling and shrinking the skin and all that it encompasses then applying the medication, when the pores open, since the openings of the pores are coated with the medication, the medication will be drawn into the pores and as the Sebaceous Glands will expand as they continue to open. Thus penetrating deep into the pore and Sebaceous Gland structure, whereas application to an open pore ( hot ) will only coat the outer portion of the pore with minimal penetration.

FFM
    That's a damn good theory, and very possibly true. I should go back to the library and re-read the section on ice to see if he gives and explanation for why this works so well.

BTW, to give y'all an update into my own situation, my skin had stayed completely clear up until just this week (week 5 of a test/deca cycle), and a few days ago I developed four pimples on my face. Three of them are minor, but one of them is a nodule. I started taking minocycline when it first appeared, and will remain on the antibiotic right through PCT (cause clomid is a BITCH for acne IMO). My back and shoulders have remained completely clear with the exception of one nasty pustule that developed a few days ago, just before the ones on my face. Overall, I'm still very impressed by the results of this program.
    Last edited by TOkidd; 09-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.

beafcake is offline New Member
    great thread, i was ache free until about 5 years ago when i started doing more serious cycles. My face doesn't break out hardly at all but my shoulders/arms are terrible and my back gets a decent amount as well. Im definally going to save this thread in favorites. thanks again

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Accutane is really the only fix. Other inferior products and lotions may work for some who think they have bad acne, but if it's that bad ull need accutane. It is great stuff used at low dose of 20mg I kicked upto 30 to clear my stubborn as fk acne then cruised on cycle with 20mg without one spot, I've been running it for 5-6 months and am just about to drop it and see how things go.

Blog Entries
    My only side is dry lips looking forward to not having to use lip moister user all day everyday, pawpaw cream is the best, lip balms are useless they lock in moisture, but there is no moisture to lock in so you need a moisteriser, I remember being told pawpaw ointment was one of the closest things to the oil ur body produces

auswest - having had acne on-and-off for 14 years, I don't believe Accutane is the only fix. It's the last resort, not the thing you buy on the black market and then read what the bros are dosing themselves with on the web, and go with half the medically recommended dosage and just run it for months so you don't have to see a spot. Accutane should be taken under a derm's supervision. I do believe the side effects are overblown, but come on! You don't reach for Antiretrovirals when you have a case the Clap, and you don't take Accutane just 'cause you think topical meds (not to mention oral antibiotics) are useless. Have you actually tried prescription-strength topical medications, or is it just easier to buy Accutane on the black market and write off everything else?

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    auswest - having had acne on-and-off for 14 years, I don't believe Accutane is the only fix. It's the last resort, not the thing you buy on the black market and then read what the bros are dosing themselves with on the web, and go with half the medically recommended dosage and just run it for months so you don't have to see a spot. Accutane should be taken under a derm's supervision. I do believe the side effects are overblown, but come on! You don't reach for Antiretrovirals when you have a case the Clap, and you don't take Accutane just 'cause you think topical meds (not to mention oral antibiotics) are useless. Have you actually tried prescription-strength topical medications, or is it just easier to buy Accutane on the black market and write off everything else?
    This^^^^

I am lucky never had acne anywhere other than my face when I was young. Since I started using steroids I got acne on my shoulders and back for the first time ever, all it took in my case was a thorough scrubbing with a brush and neutragena. Wound definately no use accutane unless I had to.

Blog Entries
    I was only talking from personal experience, I personally have tried everything from home remedies, OTC scrubs cleansers lotions moisturizers, scrubbing not scrubbing, washing 3-4 times a day,diet changes,antibiotics and prescription topical ointments.
    I was not prepared for a derm to spend the next year or 2 giving me shit that may or may not work only to end up giving me accutane anyway. Most people are on 80 or so mgs a day, I recommended a quarter of that because it worked for me....
    It all depends how much acne is effecting your life mate.. For me I was depressed as **** about it, and now I couldn't be happier..

And btw you are on a steroid forum saying

not the thing you buy on the black market and then read what the bros are dosing themselves with on the web, and go with half the medically recommended dosage and just run it for months so you don't have to see a spot. Accutane should be taken under a derm's supervision.

Do you go see your doctor to run your cycles mate? Or do you "read what the bros are dosing themselves with on the web, and go with half the medically recommended dosage and just run it for months"?????

No difference brother, regardless of what you are going to put in your body we all make a choice weighing up pros/cons and read and read again about it, accutane works! Others might work..
    Last edited by auswest; 09-05-2012 at 09:34 PM.

I understand the temptation to go for Acuutane, because it works so well, but I know that only the most severe cases require it and I don't want anyone with not-so-mild acne to start sourcing Accutane. There are lots of other options to try first. If you try them through a derm, the derm will see they aren't working and you'll end up on Accutane much faster than two years. Usually a derm tries a topical med, then two months of topical med + oral antibiotic if the topical doesn't work well on its own, and if the improvement is still minimal they'll write an Accutane script. So it really only takes about four to six months to get on Accutane with a good derm.

As far as buying steroids on the black market, I have no choice. There is no legal outlet where good medical advice can be found, and AAS obtained legitimately from an MD. I would much rather do it this way, because then you would have way less 19-year-olds asking about their first cycles on boards like this, 20-year-olds taking D-bol only cycles after working out for six months with no PCT, so much confusion about HCG and other compounds, etc. So there is a big difference. I can get Accutane legally, from a doctor if they believe I need it. If they see I have nasty acne that is not responding to other meds and still don't put me Accutane, they are a bad doctor. You should always talk to your derm the first time you visit them about the possibility of takikng Accutane, and ask them if and when they would prescribe it to you. If they are not very open to the possibility, find a new derm.

peace

Thread Information