Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Would another MRI show everything?

I'm sorry to be a pain by posting another thread on this, but my last thread was closed so I couldn't add this post to it. I got some bad news from my doctor.

As most of you know I had surgery for a torn pec on May 9, 2006. 11 weeks later I still have pain in my bicep area. I went to see my doctor (again) the other day and he agrees something is wrong and ordered another MRI for Monday on my pec AND bicep. He thinks there is a good chance it may be an abscess infection in my bicep that has caused my pain. What do you guys think?

Would another MRI show everything? Would another MRI show if there was an abscess infection? What about if one of the permanent sutures came loose, would it show that? Excess scar tissue? Arthritis? Tendonitis? Would it show those? Basically what I'm asking is, will another MRI show me why I'm having pain in my bicep right now?

My doctor also said if nothing major showed, he would just give me a cortizone shot and my pain would go away. Is that true? How long will that take away my pain for?

I'm starting to think the operation was botched and I'll never be able to lift or box again. I know you guys think I'm whining but this has been a nightmare. I don't smoke, don't do recreational drugs, rarely drink, don't have many friends, and I don't have a girlfriend. Working out is all I got, if that's taken away...I got nothing.

Again, I'm sorry to post another thread but a moderator closed my last thread cause I guess I was posting too much on this topic. I apologize but please don't close this thread. I'm counting down the hours until Monday (when I get this next MRI). But my question to you guys is...will an MRI explain why I'm having this pain?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 07-23-2006 at 07:37 PM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I won't close this, but seriously, you are asking these questions on a message board where NO ONE will have an answer. These are questions your healthcare professional and rehab people would have to answer. How are we to know via text what the issue is? We have no MRI's, no education in those things, can't see shit, don't do check-ups with you, rehab, etc., so it's like pissing in the wind. Sometimes you get an injury and you're f*cked for life, that's the nature of the game, you just have to learn to train around and/or live with it. Be happy you can walk and are alive, some don't even have that.

~SC~

I understand you can't diagnose what is wrong with me over the computer. I just wanted to know if I will have some clarity as to what's wrong with me once I get this next MRI. That's what I was asking...will an MRI show those things that are possibly wrong with me (infection, excess scar tissue, etc.).

And I'm starting to think my doctor botched the surgery.
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 07-23-2006 at 06:48 PM.

My doctor f*cked my knee surgery up on both knees. He's not actually my doctor, but was the doctor on call that a.m. to perform the surgery. I now have patella "alta" which means my knee-caps are a bit higher than they should be, but I have to live with it and have learned to train legs w/this condition. As to what an MRI will/will not show, I've no idea really, but those performing the MRI should be able to help you out.

Once you are injured seriously as I was (and how you are) very rarely are things ever 100% as they were before. Best thing to do is just push through it and do the best you can, because in reality, that's all that can be done.

Have faith!

~SC~

rake922 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    My doctor f*cked my knee surgery up on both knees. He's not actually my doctor, but was the doctor on call that a.m. to perform the surgery. I now have patella "alta" which means my knee-caps are a bit higher than they should be..................
    Sorry to hear that. Did you consider getting a lawyer and receiving a settlement since that sounds like surgical malpractice...

My doctor f*cked my knee surgery up on both knees. He's not actually my doctor, but was the doctor on call that a.m. to perform the surgery. I now have patella "alta" which means my knee-caps are a bit higher than they should be, but I have to live with it and have learned to train legs w/this condition. As to what an MRI will/will not show, I've no idea really, but those performing the MRI should be able to help you out.

Once you are injured seriously as I was (and how you are) very rarely are things ever 100% as they were before. Best thing to do is just push through it and do the best you can, because in reality, that's all that can be done.

Have faith!

~SC~
    Swole I feel bad for what happened to you but our situations are kind of different. You obviously made a comeback and can now train/lift/run/play sports,etc...I may never be able to do any of that again. With the pain I feel in my arm now, I don't think I'll ever be able to lift again.

One more thing I forgot to add. What about the fact that the part of my bicep that hurts...is still numb. The skin area covering my brachialis is still numb. It's been almost 11 weeks post surgery.

Swole based on everything I've posted, is it possible my doctor botched the operation? By law do doctors HAVE to tell you if they screwed up your surgery...or if post surgery things aren't going right? Or is it going to take me going to ANOTHER doctor to find out if my current doctor dropped the ball? At what point do I get that second opinion?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 07-23-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rake922
    Sorry to hear that. Did you consider getting a lawyer and receiving a settlement since that sounds like surgical malpractice...
    I have no such energy to make a stink like that and pay a lawyer 1000's of dollars when it can't be proven that there was a better way to do it.

Just the cards I was dealt, so I make the best hand I can.

~SC~

Hey Swole, actually if a lawyer thinks you have a legitamate case he may take the case on for free granted if you win he gets 1/3 of the settlement. I understand you don't wanna go through with all that but it's just something to think about.

Swole about the question I asked...based on everything I've posted, is it possible my doctor botched the operation? By law do doctors HAVE to tell you if they screwed up your surgery...or if post surgery things aren't going right? Or is it going to take me going to ANOTHER doctor to find out if my current doctor dropped the ball? At what point do I get that second opinion?

I have no idea if the doc botched your operation, it's impossible to prove and winning a case against an established health professional are not odds I'd take at all. If he fudged your repair, hell nah he won't admit it, why would he??

I'd have gotten a 2nd opinion a long time ago judging by how concerned you are with this matter and your threads brutha.

Again, good luck to you, there's nothing more that we can really hash out here.

~SC~

If I'm still feeling this pain months from now and my current doc is pussy footin around...I think than I will go to another Doc. But the question is, how long should I wait until I do that? Should I get one now, in 3 months?, in a year? How long?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 07-24-2006 at 01:47 AM.

I'd have gotten a 2nd opinion a long time ago judging by how concerned you are with this matter and your threads brutha.
    ~SC~

sonar1234 is offline Banned

Wink

[QUOTE=SwoleCat]My doctor f*cked my knee surgery up on both knees. He's not actually my doctor, but was the doctor on call that a.m. to perform the surgery. I now have patella "alta" which means my knee-caps are a bit higher than they should be, but I have to live with it and have learned to train legs w/this condition. As to what an MRI will/will not show, I've no idea really, but those performing the MRI should be able to help you out.

Have faith!

Swole cat is on the money right there, it sucks but has me and my damn back injury, you got to arm yourself with patience and try to find ways to work around the injury.

For me its been hell just to get back, took 5 years and i saw a lot of bullshit experts, physio, massage, acupuncture, chiro damn even osteopaths that where full of it.

I am just barely getting back in the gym and the pain has just started going away and coming back a bit but not has much has it used to be.

I know how you feel, life sucks, sucks even more when you cant freaking do what you love, you gotta hang in there and if your doctor is a dick just drop him and go elsewhere to seek advise.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    tommy, the mri will show it all, if there is an abces, it willbe seen on the mri. this mri will give you the piece of mind you need, if there is something there, if the surgery was botched, or if it was retorn, it will b on the mri. the radiologist will not miss something like this, . if they tell you it is a normal mri and just alot of swelling,than thats all it is. sit back and wait thats all you can do.

My doctor suggested if nothing is wrong, than he will just give me a cortizone shot to take away the pain. What do you think about that Doc? Will a cortizone shot take away my pain?

Also if it is just swelling, will a cortizone shot help with that (in terms of pain relief)?

I have heard that cortizone shots are horrible as they weaken the area around them greatly. I'd never get one of those myself, but that's just me.

I hear people say how bad they are all the time, but that's only what I hear, however it was enough to keep me away from that shit and I never needed it.

~SC~

I have a gut feeling the doc botched the operation

Yeah but Swole, I'm in alot of pain. I was just wondering if the cause of the pain was inflammation and swelling, would a cortizone shot take the pain away so I can train again one day.

Also, let's say it turns out to be the worst case scenario and the doc did botch the operation thus causing my pain...can another type of operation be done to correct this and get rid of this pain...or am I screwed for life?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 07-24-2006 at 10:26 PM.

I'm done w/this thread my man because you just keep asking the same things over and over again and they are inquiries that only your healthcare professional can answer. Make an appointment and go see him/her/them and ask them what you are asking here, that is the proper thing to do for answers.

~SC~

I have asked my doctor all of these things and I always get the usual "I don't know, I'm not quite sure." And as we all know doctors lie all the time to cover their asses. That's why I post here alot because people here would have no reason to lie to me.

You've been in my shoes before Swole, of all people YOU should know the torture I'm going through right now. I realize I'm being aggravating but I feel hopeless and desperate and I have no where else to turn.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    tommy cortisone isnt the answer,it takes away the pain but doesnt fix the problem,also it makes the ligaments weaker. truth is not me, your DR, or anyone can tell you Y you have pain, the mri, willl help diagnose y this is, without the mri, nobody can tell you squat.

Thread Information