Thread: Folliculitis

optionsdude is offline Member

Folliculitis

Has anyone had experience with this? What I thought was just acne ends up being folliculitis. I first noticed about a year ago when my scalp broke out in a horrible painful itching rash. It was only on the left side,so I automatically freaked out and thought it was shingles. Not the case its folliculitis. My dermatologist treated at first with antibiotics and clobetasol drops. Which cleared the horrible itching rash up. However, I still have some areas that haven't gotten much better and if I wear a hat the back of my head where hat rides will become itchy after 15-20 minutes. This sucks since my hair isn't as thick as it used to be and the last thing I want is a sunburned scalp. I am now using clobetasol shampoo daily, the Clear brand shampoo after, clobetasol drops once daily,and minocycline oral antibiotic daily. Been on this regimen for a few months. I can tell that this is keeping it under control (barely). If anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I haven't and I am not interested. Sounds awful! Good luck to you. Hope it goes bah-buy!

Thanks Girly. I've had what I thought was just backne for quite some time. And after this thing happened with my scalp I think the rashy stuff is folliculitis. I've been on TRT for years which never made it worse so that's not the issue.

Creech is offline New Member
    I had some acne many years ago on my head but that eventually just passed with time. Good luck. Hope you manage to get it treated.

Thanks Creech I've had acne on my back and shoulders since I was 12. It has always been a nuisance, went through a round of Accutane and that cleared up the big boil types. The folliculitis feels like acne starting but never develops a head and is extremely painful. It seems to be under control but I'd like to get away from all of the cortisol steroid based shampoo and lotions and antibiotics. There's been some write ups on using hair removal laser for treatment. So I think I'll ask my dermatologist about it on my next visit

Thread Information