FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member

Calling Pheedno (or any one else)

Alright, got my blood tests back from last cycle....everything looks good execpt two things:

Recommended Actual
    Bilirubin .2-1.5 mg/dl 2.0
    Ion Gap 2-14 meq/l 17

What exactly does this mean and how can i fix it. I know bilirubin is a liver value and i have researched it, but if someone could explain these two and what they do in the body, that would be appreciated.

anyone???

peaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrkyBgStok
    Alright, got my blood tests back from last cycle....everything looks good execpt two things:

Recommended Actual
    Ion Gap 2-14 meq/l 17

What exactly does this mean and how can i fix it. I know bilirubin is a liver value and i have researched it, but if someone could explain these two and what they do in the body, that would be appreciated.
    i have gilberts disease meaning that my bilirubin count is extremely high like many times higher than the normal range. its a beign condition and i only found out when i had blood test years ago. your results seem out of the range but you could ask you doctor if you might have gilbert disease. dont mean to stress you out bro, its not a serious condition, just a name given to naturally high bilirubin levels. it has something to do red blood cells when they die etc, i cant remember exactly.

maybe pheedno can help you out

Pheedno is offline Respected Member

Recommended Actual
    Ion Gap 2-14 meq/l 17

Bilirubin is a breakdown product of hemoglobin. T. & direct bilirubin are usually measured to screen for or to monitor liver or gall bladder dysfunction so talk to your doctor about the possibility of Hepatitis or bile duct obstruction(possible gall stones) These are just possibilities, don't get alarmed bro. Elevated levels happen all the time. I'm just giving you some info to speak to your doc about.

Bilirubin metabolism starts witht the breakdown of red blood cells. Red blood cells are broken down to heme and globin. Heme is converted to bilirubin, which is carried by albumin to the liver. Most of the bilirubin is conjugated before excretion in the bile.

Bilirubin is excreted into the bile by the liver and stored in the gall bladder or transferred directly to the small intestines. Its then metabolized by bacteria which actually contributes to your shit color

I have no gall bladder. Had stones when I was 14, which is very painfull(kicks a kidney stones ass) if it isn't caught quickly so move on consulting your doc bro.
    Hepatitis is another possiblity which needs attention quick as well. I'm sorry to say that the medication for that is extremely taxing. A friend of mine had Hep C and ended up having to quit treatment on the first go-round because of sides.

Not to alarm you, these are merely possiblities and one test means nothing. So don[t go off thinking you have a major problem here, especially if your on, or just got off cycle. The likely answer is that you just have an elevated level that will return to normal. I've had elevated Bili once and it returned in three wks.

Check back with the doc, discuss the possibilities, (S)He will probably have you tested again in 6 wks to see if changes have occured and then assess the situation from there.
    Last edited by Pheedno; 10-17-2003 at 09:44 AM.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Pheedno said it...when i read your post, i was set to say most of the same stuff (altho he explained it much better than i might have)...

great advice pheedno...

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah, Pheedno knows his shit!!!!

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    I'm glad we have people like Pheedno around with knowledge on shit like that for one I have no idea what he just said and for two...big scientific words bore the shit out of me and kinda make me mad
    Last edited by D3m3nt3d; 10-17-2003 at 12:19 PM.

thanks pheedno, but what about the ion gap?

Bro, in all honesty, I don't know much about it. I have never had that level checked on my blood work.

I believe it's used to measure renal excretion. Which with abnormal levels can be a sign of abnormal kidney function. I'll do some checking in some folders to see if i can dig up something; but none the less, just mention abnormal kidney function to your doc and see if (S)he thinks it's a possible cause.
    I'll let you know if I dig up any info.

BUN and Creatinine are levels I have checked for kidney function.

Did your doctor give any explaination for possiblities?

just got off the phone with doc. he says all liver values are ok so don't worry about the bilirubin being high, because it isn't that high, and ion gap he says not to worry about because they only watch it if there is medical problems (i.e. diabetes). So i'm ok....thanks pheedno and bros for all your help.

just got off the phone with doc. he says all liver values are ok so don't worry about the bilirubin being high, because it isn't that high, and ion gap he says not to worry about because they only watch it if there is medical problems (i.e. diabetes). So i'm ok....thanks pheedno and bros for all your help.

Good to hear bro.

Thread Information