What changes need to be made when running NovoRapid in place of Humulin R

The Insulin that I can currently get is
    NovoRapid
    FlexPen
    Insulin aspart (rys)
    3ml's
    100iu per ml

http://www.novonordisk.com.au/Images...lexPencmi7.pdf

As most of the Insulin usage guidelines on here are for Humulin R could somebody please outline the main changes that would need to made for the quicker acting Humulin R ? Id done a bit of a search but the link that looked most promising to answer my question was dead.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Novorapid is faster acting therefore you need to consume all the necessary nutrients a lot sooner.

-Gear

mick86 is offline Member
    Thanks, I was aware that it is faster acting but I'm unsure how to modify the sorts of eating plans found on this site for Humulin R.

Is there a formula that can be applied, such as 30 mins sooner for each meal or is it not that simple? Can you give me a rough guide line?

Sure Mick.

Novorapid:

* Inject immidietly PWO
    * Immidietly post injection consume "x" amount of carbs. You can also add some glutamine and creatine for additional benefits, 5g of each is fine.
    * 15min later consume about 60 - 75g of whey protein isolate.
    * 1.25hrs later have a pro/carb meal. I would usually have something like baked potatoes and grilled chicken (something low in fat).
    * 2hrs later, have another pro/carb meal similar to the one above.
    * By the time you have your next meal insulin will no longer be active therefore you can eat as you usually do.

Humalin-R:

There are two ways of taking this type of insulin. I suggest you follow protocol #2, it involves a little more stuffing around but it's the most effective way to using humalin-R.

Protocol #1:

* Inject immidietly PWO.
    * 10min later consume "x" amount of carbs. (You can also take your carbs immidietly post injection). Once again, you can add other supplments as well such as bcaa for additional benefits.
    * 20min later consume 60 - 75g of whey protein isolate.
    * 1.5hrs later, have a pro/carb meal.
    * 2.00hrs later, have another pro/carb meal.
    * By the time you have your next meal insulin will no longer be active therefore you can eat as you usually do.

Protocol #2:

* Inject insulin approx 20min before you finish training.
    * Immidietly post injection consume "x" amount of carbs + other supps for additional benefits.
    * As soon as you finish training consume 60 - 75g of whey protein isolate.
    * 1.00hrs later, have a pro/carb meal.
    * 2.00hrs later, have another pro/carb meal.

There are two very important things to always keep in mind no matter what type of insulin you use:

1. Always, and I repeat ALWAYS carry glucose tabs on your while insulin is active. Energy drinks are fine.

2. Never fall asleep while insulin is active.

Hope that helped.

Best of luck.

-Gear

mick86 is offline Member
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks for that mate, much appreciated. I'd tried searching the archives but couldn't find a direct comparison or instructions. I wanted to make sure that I did things as safely as possible, thanks again.

No problems mate.

-Gear

Thread Information