Thread: Metformin

BigPimpin76 is offline Senior Member

Metformin

Hey Bros!
    Got Bw done and got Pre Diabetes.
    Doctor would not prescribe medicine.
    He said that a Diabetic diet should correct my situation.
    I have noticed that after a meal I get very lethargic and after that, a headache along with it!
    It really sucks!
    I read up on metformin and wanted to ask if its ok to take Metformin behind the Docs back?
    Is Metformin safe for me to take in order for this feeling to subside??

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    I have no experience personally with his drug. My wife takes it and she is always complaining how it makes her lethargic and tired and even feel pregnant for what it's worth.

Any other experience with Metformin?

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Im no doc nor can i say if it is safe for you to use. Have you changed your diet?
    I have used glucophage (metformin) a few timess. Honestly the only thing I found it useful for is helping me to enter ketosis faster when im on a CKD.
    Also you have to watch may people have stomach issues with it, severe stomach issues and end up on the toilet all day.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    been on half pill metformin daily (i will update exact dose) for few months now (AC1 tests came back with a few high days and regular glucose fasting is usually in range but towards top)

no side effects that i can notice thus far

and not one pound lost either

Quote Originally Posted by zaggahamma
    been on half pill metformin daily (i will update exact dose) for few months now (AC1 tests came back with a few high days and regular glucose fasting is usually in range but towards top) no side effects that i can notice thus far and not one pound lost either
    Are you on 500 mg daily? How is your hunger curb?
    Are you doing a diabetic meal plan?

Sent from my iPad using Forum

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup
    Im no doc nor can i say if it is safe for you to use. Have you changed your diet? I have used glucophage (metformin) a few timess. Honestly the only thing I found it useful for is helping me to enter ketosis faster when im on a CKD. Also you have to watch may people have stomach issues with it, severe stomach issues and end up on the toilet all day.
    I have changed my Diet plenty of times and it has been a pain to loose weight. I guess due to the fact that insulin levels have been out of wack. Now that I have been Diagnosed with Pre Diabetes it all makes more sense as in why It was so hard for me to loose weight. Doc said for me to reverse this problem is by A strict Diabetic meal plan.
    He didnt want to put me on meds like Metformin as of yet. I did it behind his back because I thought he could of put me anyway due to my situation. i also begged him to put me on med and he said for me to wait 3 more weeks.
    So, I have a justification to use Metformin!

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I take Metformin (Glucophage) at 3000 per day (500 before each meal.

Basically Metofrmin acts as Glucose in many ways. It prevents the change of carbs to sugar.

It is a wonder drug in my opinion. If you read up in detail on it there are about 15 items it does that are positive to the body.

You will see the full results after a month on the drug.

As far as curb appetite I could go without eating all day if I was not made to eat. The doctors here are not afraid to prescribe up to 5000 a day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPimpin76 View Post
    Are you on 500 mg daily? How is your hunger curb?
    Are you doing a diabetic meal plan?

i take 250 mg /day (cutting the 500 in half and taking one half daily)

absolutely zero sides noticed including any appetitle loss

and no i am NOT following a diabetic plan nor have i changed anything since i started....i wanted to see if the pill would do anything alone...havent retested blood since i started to see if it indeed lowered my glucose/insulin levels

like i said ..its been about 3 months

after reading chicago's post

i am assuming that the doctor's choice to have me on only 250mg wasnt nearly aggressive enough

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I saw very little appetite supression at 1500 a day. Once I crossed over the 1500 mark it was very noticeable. I am sure results vary person to person. I vary from the doctors instructions in that I take mine in 3 doese..upon awaking and before my 2 carb meals.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaggahamma View Post
    after reading chicago's post

i am assuming that the doctor's choice to have me on only 250mg wasnt nearly aggressive enough

Doubt i'll ever get prescribed more than 500mg/day

but if its appetite supression sought i dont want it

i thought it was supposed to just help with sugar(s) thus losing weight with the bodys better metabolism of food(sugars)

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I have never seen a resulting change in body comp using it....ever. Then again Im not pre diabetic. A lot of things you would think it would do based on all the thingss it does - it doesnt. At least not in healthy population.

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    If you decide to take metformin, ramping up the dose greatly reduces side effects.

If you are trying to lose weight, and are prediabetic, diet is very very important - the most important thing. Low carb, healthy fats, quality proteins will help to make you more responsive to insulin , and then you will secrete less, and store less fat. This is not a quick fix type thing, but a long term lifestyle change. Metformin will help, but there are holistic docs now who treat predaibetes solely with diet, and that is very successful.

Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites
    If you decide to take metformin, ramping up the dose greatly reduces side effects. If you are trying to lose weight, and are prediabetic, diet is very very important - the most important thing. Low carb, healthy fats, quality proteins will help to make you more responsive to insulin, and then you will secrete less, and store less fat. This is not a quick fix type thing, but a long term lifestyle change. Metformin will help, but there are holistic docs now who treat predaibetes solely with diet, and that is very successful.
    Thanks for your Input ThisAngel!! Yeah, before i was diagnosed I would Diet and it was very hard for me to loose weight! Especialy in my midsection!
    So, now I know it was a sign ,insulin would not respond to food in its proper way!! Pre diabetis can be corrected with a spot on diet!! I hope Metformin will help correct this issue further. Sent from my iPhone using Forum

bobtail is offline Associate Member
    I have a good bit of experience with Metformin since my wife use to take it and we have a ton of it left over. Most of the bros use it as a glucose disposal agent. I run it on my low carb days at 500mg in the AM. Just can't give up my coffee with sugar! Oddly, after about an hour I'm extremely hungry. I would guess it's due to the blood sugar drop.
    My A1C dropped by 6 points after 3 months, too.
    Beware of the runs, though. It will tear up your bowels big time!

Quote Originally Posted by bobtail
    I have a good bit of experience with Metformin since my wife use to take it and we have a ton of it left over. Most of the bros use it as a glucose disposal agent. I run it on my low carb days at 500mg in the AM. Just can't give up my coffee with sugar! Oddly, after about an hour I'm extremely hungry. I would guess it's due to the blood sugar drop. My A1C dropped by 6 points after 3 months, too. Beware of the runs, though. It will tear up your bowels big time!
    So have you been using Metformin for 3 months now?
    Have you dropped any weight?
    Any signs of increased energy?

Thread Information