deepcover is offline New Member

Spinal Decompression

Has anyone had sucess with spinal decompression? I just did my first session for my neck that has been giving me trouble. I signed up for 9, 30 min sessions.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    is this the same thing as being on an inversion table?

No. I have an inversion table and they are very helpful for alleviating the daily affects of gravity. I use mine almost daily. The spinal decompression is a hi-tech old school rack that your strapped into and it stretches you. This stretch is supposed to help the discs heal. I did my neck for the first time this morning and it felt pretty good. I started at 16 lbs for 30 min and will work up to 20 lbs (20% of my body weight). Apparently the neck has the best % of success after just 3-4 sessions. I will keep it up for 6 and then move to my low back. The low back has less chance of success buy I’m going to give it a shot. If it helps it will be the best money I have spent in a long time. I am paying $75 for a 30 min session. Not covered by insurance. Fortunately I can write it off through my business as a medical expense.

johnnylucifer is offline Junior Member
    I have for my lower back...Well, I think it helps anyway. My problem comes and goes, so it's hard to say what is really making it better.

I don't go the chiro anymore for decompression, I just make an effort to hang from a bar. Seems to work and I figure it can't hurt.

Everyone’s body responds differently and there are different decompression machines. I know what you’re saying with the low back issue coming and going. When it’s on my life is miserable. I am willing to try...

johnnylucifer is offline Junior Member
    I've been battling mine for many months now. On day three of the chiropractor I also started up on prescription strength Naproxen (500mg)...A week later and I'm practically 100%. Had a pinched nerve at L5 and two herniated discs at L4 and L5. My L5 is in really bad shape from having been injured 20 years ago.

Go to the doc to figure out whats wrong. They will often give you some prednisone to clear up back issues. Great for innflamation.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    As others have said it depends on the individual and also on what is wrong. If the discs are compressed/ruptured and nerve impingment is present then it will almost always be beneficial as long as there is sufficient stability to ensure further damage is not done during the process. The combination of anti-inflam meds and spinal decompression will work best early on and then quickly reach a plateau, that is after 4-6 wks you will see minimal gains and are really just throwing money out the window.

Also my experience has been that its much more beneficial for lower back than neck issues. I feel this is due to the fact that so much pressure is put on the lower back during day to day activities that its crucial to alleviate this with decompression, conversely with the neck, the use of anti-imflammatories and simply being careful will allow for a large amount of relief of nerve impingement, I am not saying decompression will not help simply that it will not be nearly as helpful as on the lower back. However this is simply my feelings based on my experience.

PS Good luck with your neck brotha, having been there myself I know how much this stuff sux. On a bright note I assume you are fairly young, to that end I ruptured multiple discs in my back as well as having major damage to my neck back in my late 20s to early 30s. Now in my late 50s I can still hit the squat rack, do bent over rows and pretty much anything else I desire without issue all with just phys ther and lots of core work.

FFM

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I did spinal decompression on the fancy machine and it was a lifesaver. It was like a miracle, which surprised everyone because my doctor said my injury might be too severe for it to work...we were both pleasantly surprised.

I went from being immobile to walking and standing again in a couple of days. The pain went from me sobbing all the time to manageable.

It was still around seven years before I could go to the gym again, but I was fully functional as long as I didn't push myself hard. I started TRT early last year which I believe contributed to my recovery because I started lifting again with little discomfort (six months previous I was still having problems) and now I am lifting heavy again. I will never be able to to deads or squats until I have surgery (if ever), but I work around my injury and am very happy.

Thanks for the input guys. I did my third session of spinal decompression on my neck today. I start with heat and electrodes on my neck, then he cracks my neck, and straight into the decompression machine. Im up to 20 lbs of pressure. When I walk out I have a tingling feeling in my neck but its good because my range of motion is 100%. Still get some nerve pain at night that causes trouble sleeping. I will start a steady dose of naproxen and lay off the weights per the doc for a bit while we get this neck in shape. A little extra time doing cardio is not going to hurt me for sure. LOL.. I am going to do another week of neck decompression and then hopefully start into the low back. I have had herniated discs that flare in my L4 & L5 for more than 20 years. It would be a miracle if I could go through a day without knowing the problem is there. A wise man once said "you are only as young as your spine is flexible". I want to feel young again!

After 8 sessions of spinal decompression on my neck I can honestly say I have significant improvement. My neck is at about 90%. I have full range of motion, numbness and tingling in my right arm is gone and I can sleep through the night like a baby! At $75 for a 30 min session it is a little pricy, but well worth it! I am going to start working on my low back. In addition to the decompression I use the inversion table once a day as well for 15-20 min.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Glad to hear you are getting better!

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    X2 ^^^^

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deepcover View Post
    After 8 sessions of spinal decompression on my neck I can honestly say I have significant improvement. My neck is at about 90%. I have full range of motion, numbness and tingling in my right arm is gone and I can sleep through the night like a baby! At $75 for a 30 min session it is a little pricy, but well worth it! I am going to start working on my low back. In addition to the decompression I use the inversion table once a day as well for 15-20 min.
    I think if it wasnt for the cost a lot more people would try ti. I only did it 2x but I was in such bad shape at the time it wouldn't had mattered. My disc was not just herniated but ruptured.

The doc administering the decompression said the low back L-4&5 will likley not work as well and will likely take longer. As I am typing this I desk a little pit of that pain in my neck. So its no silver bullet! I can write all the medical expense off through my business. If not I would stop and stretch 30 min a day. I better start stretching more anyway!!!

Thread Information