Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Degenerative disk disease...

Shadow530i is offline Junior Member

Degenerative disk disease...

So the doctors say I have degenerative disk disease, I've been lifting with a back brace and it seems to have been giving me just enough support to continue doing what I love to do but recently the pains gotten worse and I feel like there is some sort of pressure build up in my lower back area. Anyone know what's wrong?

Does anyone know of a top quality back brace that offers more support or anything? I'm just looking for some solutions to my issue without having to stop lifting.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow530i View Post
    So the doctors say I have degenerative disk disease, I've been lifting with a back brace and it seems to have been giving me just enough support to continue doing what I love to do but recently the pains gotten worse and I feel like there is some sort of pressure build up in my lower back area. Anyone know what's wrong?

Does anyone know of a top quality back brace that offers more support or anything? I'm just looking for some solutions to my issue without having to stop lifting.
    At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, yeah, I know what's wrong. You have degenerative disk disease! I think maybe it's time to modify your routines so that you are not putting a lot of pressure on the discs. I have back problems too, so instead of the squat, I leg press instead. Yeah, not ideal, but the last thing I want to do is get hurt.

I think finding a better brace is the wrong approach.

just my .02
    Shadow530i likes this.

thehor is offline Member
    About a month ago I was having really bad back pains for about a month and I noticed it was getting more intense as I was squatting more heavy. What I did was just stop squatting and doing other leg workouts and then also took 1 week to rest and that actually helped alot. No I am squatting again and not pushing really hard since im cutting.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Like Roman stated you need to modify your routine. I have a bad disc in my lower back that was needing surgery and i modified my training and avoided it.

Shadow530i is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, yeah, I know what's wrong. You have degenerative disk disease! I think maybe it's time to modify your routines so that you are not putting a lot of pressure on the discs. I have back problems too, so instead of the squat, I leg press instead. Yeah, not ideal, but the last thing I want to do is get hurt.

I think finding a better brace is the wrong approach.

just my .02
    Your approach is definitely the correct one to take....I did legs today but was scared to squat so I did leg press and I also added in some lunge pass throughs because I needed another hamstring exercise anyway.

Tomorrow is chest/abs and I am looking for some good ab routines that aren't stressful on the lower back...my weighted decline sit-ups might have been what has recently been aggravating my back since I started doing them just a few weeks ago.

Other than a good abdominal routine I guess I need something to replace rack deadlifts for my back day...

Here's my current routine (minus the deadlifts starting this week)

Close grip lat pulldowns: 2 warmup 3 working
    Rack deadlifts: 2 warm up 3 working
    Rows: 2 warm up 3 working
    Pull-ups: 3 working
    Dumbbell shrugs: 2 warmup 3 working

And the last exercise is like a bent over row on the smith machine except you stand with the bar in between your legs and pull the bar up until it hits you in the ass...not sure what its called : /

What would you guys recommend me adding?

I appreciate all the feedback!

Thread Information