Thread: Torn meniscus

EasyDoesIt is offline Knowledgeable Member

Torn meniscus

Anyone had success rehabbing a torn meniscus on the inner joint of knee? Think mine is acute tear. Money is an issue and have not had MRI, so before those questions arise i have to work within capabilities for now at least. I tore it several years ago and had ORTHO surgery which worked well. It is improving and stability issues are gone, but definitely not healed. I flared it up a bit training someone in M Arts. I want to rehab it to be able to pivot etc. and not just be able to do cardio.

I have read where it can be rehabbed without surgery, just wanted to find out from someone who has actually done it.

I have good flexibility and utilizing bands, body and light weight squats, leg presses etc. Staying away from leg extensions, although i test the waters from time to time doing single leg light weight leg extensions. It has been around 3 months since injured.

Read where it can take 6 months to a year and i don't see it healed in 6 months.

Trevtrev is offline Associate Member
    I tore mine near the edge some time ago racing dirt bikes and stand up jet skis. I tried to allow it to heal, but it never was the same. After about five years I gave up and had surgery to fix it.

During the five years of "healing" it actually got worse to where it would "click" when I walked. Pre-surgery MRI showed that the torn area had also lifted and was just hanging in there getting in the way.

All they did was go in and snip the tear away and smooth it out. That was 8 years ago. Within 60 days of the surgery it was like new and I've been fully active ever since; heavy squats and all.

Good luck!

Yeah my first tear same thing snip, clean and healed quick. No insurance now and with NO MRI recorded i can wait till i get it without pre existing.
    Thanks my suspicions are that it would not heal well enough anyways.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    whether you can recover with just rehab probably depend on the severity of the initial injury. small partial tear may be able to heal with enough rest. large or complete tear may be more troublesome.

but if you're currently still training with the injured knee, then the risk of poor healing and re-injury is significant.

obamacare not helping?

Initially i rested it with just rehab exercises for about a month. It started feeling better so i started light leg workouts. I had a bit of flare up and it seems to be calming down. But my suspicions are surgery would be needed.
    Obamacare A DISASTER! It hasn't started yet. US in worst economy of my 59 years of life. Not going to get better with him in office and to repair his damage will be a miraculous job. Only thing that will bring back a real economy here is manufacturing. if economy was not so horrible here i could afford insurance. No not a fan of him. lol
    Thanks for replying bud..

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
    Initially i rested it with just rehab exercises for about a month. It started feeling better so i started light leg workouts. I had a bit of flare up and it seems to be calming down. But my suspicions are surgery would be needed.
    Obamacare A DISASTER! It hasn't started yet. US in worst economy of my 59 years of life. Not going to get better with him in office and to repair his damage will be a miraculous job. Only thing that will bring back a real economy here is manufacturing. if economy was not so horrible here i could afford insurance. No not a fan of him. lol
    Thanks for replying bud..
    lol
    sorry i mentioned it

the worse action with regards to meniscal tear is pivoting. (twisting or turning your upper body while putting your weight on one leg. so take it easy till you get your surgery.

take care bro.

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    lol
    sorry i mentioned it

the worse action with regards to meniscal tear is pivoting. (twisting or turning your upper body while putting your weight on one leg. so take it easy till you get your surgery.

take care bro.
    Yeah i have not been pivoting as i know that's at healed stage.
    Thanks again!

Thread Information