pitweiler is offline Member

Pitweilers recovery log

I want to make a log for myself to keep track of my progress along the way of my recovery. Also any critiques anyone has would be helpful as well. If this is in the wrong section let me know.

Heres a little background on what happened. I was in a life changing motorcycle accident 7 months ago. I was on my street bike and was going really fast around a corner. I hit some sand, the bike kicked out and tossed me from the bike. I wrapped my back around a tree and laid unconscious at the base of the tree in hot fluid from the bike. Which caused severe burns on my lower back. I guess it was so severe that you could see bone, muscle and nerves. On the way to a local hospital they had to bring me back to life.

At the hospital the found out that i had 7 broken ribs, a dislocated hip and cracked the ball of it, broke two vertebras in my back. One up between my shoulder blades and one on my lower back that was completely shattered. the local hospital couldn't treat the severity of my injuries. So put me in an adduced coma for a week while i wait for a room in a Boston hospital. Once at the Boston hospital i had a 14 hour spinal fusion in my lower back and removing all of the fragments of the shattered vertebras. After the surgery they were really concerned that id be paralized from the waist down. A miracle happened and i was able to regain feeling and movement in my legs. After a month and a half there i went to a local rehab hospital for two weeks to learn to walk again.

Since being home i have made a quick recovery. Faster than my doctors have expected. I was feeling great, pain was barely there up until i started working again at a local clothing store, so i could help out with the bills. When i started working the pain ramped up. I know its because my body wasn't so used to the increased activity. Since being back to work I've been going to the gym off and on, About 3 times a week. Im hoping that posting a log will help with the motivation to get me back on track. To gain back all of the muscle mass that I've lost. Before the accident i was about 195-190lbs and about 13-15%BF. I'm 6 foot BTW. Now I'm down to about 165lbs and about 15-18% BF, mostly in my stomach. Its kinda depressing loosing all this weight so fast and pretty much start over to square one. But I've noticed some muscle memory coming back which is a good motivator.

About to get ready to the gym and do some back and tris!

ETITED; some spelling errors
    Last edited by pitweiler; 01-24-2015 at 01:47 PM.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    thank you for starting this pitweiler.

i also ride and had a bad crash riding street (now a year and a half ago). although not nearly as bad as yours, i spent a few days in a boston hospital with internal injuries and a large number of broken bones and lost 15 lbs of muscle in 30 days. i joined this forum a couple of months after the crash and have learned a lot here that has helped me with workouts, nutrition, trt (which i started at about the same time) and motivation. since my renewed commitment, i've added 30 lbs of muscle (although i'm down a bit now due to a recent hip replacement).

since my crash, i've only ridden track where you don't have to worry about sand in corners. i'm debating whether or not to ride street also and will decide in the spring.

good luck with your recovery and i'll be following your progress!

It been awhile since I've logged in. Between work and all of this snow we've been getting. I've still been going to the gym 4-5 times a week. I still can't lay flat without my back hurting or being uncomfortable. It's like my back cant go straight. Hopefully my back will loosen up and straighten out. For DB presses and flys I can only do on an incline or machines. This past week I've been felling good in the gym. Getting in the zone and not wanting to leave. It feels good, I haven't felt that in a long time!
    I worked out my legs yesterday. Leg press machine, same machine did some calf raises, DB lunges with light weight 15-20lbs. Leg raises seated and on the same machine laying down on your stomach (forget what their called) I'm keeping my reps between 7-15. Depending on how my body is reacting to that particular workout. I don't want to over do it and hurt myself

Since my last post I've gone to my spinal surgeon in Boston and he said that my back is all healed up and that I won't have to see him any more unless any problems arise. Which I think is great news! Work has been going good also I've been doing more physical work and I've been able to take my pain pills later and later in the day. I'm trying to ween myself off of them gradually. I feel like my body is depending on taking them. I also don't want to take them for the rest of my life if I don't have too. My health care provider will no longer pay for my pain management doctor because he's price gouging. He was charging 5-6k for a 10 min visit and a couple injections along my spine.

My appetite has been increasing. Most likely because of my increased activity at work and the gym. I'm trying to get on track with my diet, I'd say about 90% healthy. Just need to increase the amount of food. The wife is going to make my meals for the week, Atleast for work.
    I think I'm going to workout the shoulders and traps today.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman314
    thank you for starting this pitweiler.

i also ride and had a bad crash riding street (now a year and a half ago). although not nearly as bad as yours, i spent a few days in a boston hospital with internal injuries and a large number of broken bones and lost 15 lbs of muscle in 30 days. i joined this forum a couple of months after the crash and have learned a lot here that has helped me with workouts, nutrition, trt (which i started at about the same time) and motivation. since my renewed commitment, i've added 30 lbs of muscle (although i'm down a bit now due to a recent hip replacement).

since my crash, i've only ridden track where you don't have to worry about sand in corners. i'm debating whether or not to ride street also and will decide in the spring.

good luck with your recovery and i'll be following your progress!
    Good luck with your recovery as well! I've been reading your log as well. I've been on and off this forum for over 10 years, it's one of the best I've come crossed.
    If I ever get back on a bike, it's going to be a Harley. Something that I can just cruise and have less of an urge to go so fast. Plus I don't think my back could handle that riding style anymore.

I took a couple days off to rest, my body was feeling really tired. I'm so glad that I did. The past couple days have been great. I'm feeling stronger, my back hasn't been hurting as much and lasting a little longer until a pain med for the day. Yesterday I was able to lay down flat on the bench to do DB skull crushers. It was a little uncomfortable but it didn't hurt. Seeing this little progress feels good and is some good motivation!

Thread Information