• 1 Post By Oldguysrule

Thread: Bodybuilder dies after snapping neck attempting 400 pound squat

s1nc1ty is offline Member

Bodybuilder dies after snapping neck attempting 400 pound squat

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This was the 1st I had seen the video.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Sad if it’s actually true never know these days. Gotta have some safety stops in case that happens. I always squat with safety racks or bars. I rolled 455 of the front of my neck a few months back. If I hadn’t had the rack to catch it could have been bad. Strangely i never even had neck pain the day after.
    Cylon357 likes this.

s1nc1ty is offline Member
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-accident.html

some more info on it. the guy was from indonesia, in great shape and had 30k insta subs apparently

Tbh i wouldve never imagined you could die this way but I never squatted that insane weights tho either. But def. from now on i will be squatting only in the rack unless its like 1 plate. I bet even 2 plates could break your neck this way if its a freak accident... 100kg falling on your neck is no joke
    Last edited by s1nc1ty; 07-22-2023 at 01:15 AM.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1nc1ty View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-accident.html

some more info on it. the guy was from indonesia, in great shape and had 30k insta subs apparently

Tbh i wouldve never imagined you could die this way but I never squatted that insane weights tho either. But def. from now on i will be squatting only in the rack unless its like 1 plate. I bet even 2 plates could break your neck this way if its a freak accident... 100kg falling on your neck is no joke
    It’s not necessarily the amount of weight that did it. If he fell and his head/neck were at a bad angle, it could have happened with far less weight. I’m honestly surprised there’s not more squat catastrophes. Not necessarily deaths, but severe injuries.
    s1nc1ty likes this.

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    It’s not necessarily the amount of weight that did it. If he fell and his head/neck were at a bad angle, it could have happened with far less weight. I’m honestly surprised there’s not more squat catastrophes. Not necessarily deaths, but severe injuries.
    I think there are A LOT of severe inuries from squats, deads, and clean & jerk but so many that it's not mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0922 View Post
    I think there are A LOT of severe inuries from squats, deads, and clean & jerk but so many that it's not mentioned.
    Agreed, but by severe, I’m thinking more catastrophic injuries due to a loss of footing or balance while squatting rather heavy resistance. I’ve treated plenty of backs & knees from squats & deads, but never a fall. And for all of the decades I’ve been in the gym now, I have never seen one (thankfully).

That said, I’m recalling now some scary stuff I’ve seen on “gym fails”.
    Oldguysrule likes this.

Oldguysrule is offline New Member
    Agreed, but by severe, I’m thinking more catastrophic injuries due to a loss of footing or balance while squatting rather heavy resistance. I’ve treated plenty of backs & knees from squats & deads, but never a fall. And for all of the decades I’ve been in the gym now, I have never seen one (thankfully).

That said, I’m recalling now some scary stuff I’ve seen on “gym fails”.
    Hi, are you a chiropractor, if you don't mind me asking or a Physical therapist

I may have turned my head up and left while doing 1 arm knee dumbell conc. curls trying to watch Jay Cutler as he's doing his Jay Walking program on youtube

or i may have got my foot caught on a plastic bag while doing a barbell squat

I think the 2nd one, the barbell just went sideways, thankfully there was no immediate pain or shooting nerve chills and I didnt feel the barbell cracking over bones in my neck loud enough-- Immediately after this little clumsy move, there was no immediate pain right after this barbell rolling slightly off my neck

What are your thoughts on "the severity" of injuries....if it's a causal relationship, it usually immediately follows? thanks....
    wango likes this.

In other words, if a barbell was on your shoulders when you did squats which is what I did and my your foot got caught in a plastic bag and the bar rolled a bit

You'd Definitely know for sure that you got some weird neck pain from that, because it would be immediate pain ?

But the doing the single arm concentration curls with the free arm on the knee and lifting your head and neck up & to the left, to look at a Tv screen, that's more possible to cause neck stiffness and neck crinkling?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldguysrule View Post
    Hi, are you a chiropractor, if you don't mind me asking or a Physical therapist

I may have turned my head up and left while doing 1 arm knee dumbell conc. curls trying to watch Jay Cutler as he's doing his Jay Walking program on youtube

or i may have got my foot caught on a plastic bag while doing a barbell squat

I think the 2nd one, the barbell just went sideways, thankfully there was no immediate pain or shooting nerve chills and I didnt feel the barbell cracking over bones in my neck loud enough-- Immediately after this little clumsy move, there was no immediate pain right after this barbell rolling slightly off my neck

What are your thoughts on "the severity" of injuries....if it's a causal relationship, it usually immediately follows? thanks....
    PT, but retired. Either of those could easily mess up your neck. Wow, you dodged a bullet with getting your feet tangled while squatting. How’s the pain doing now?
    Oldguysrule likes this.

PT, but retired. Either of those could easily mess up your neck. Wow, you dodged a bullet with getting your feet tangled while squatting. How’s the pain doing now?
    It didn't roll over my neck so that I felt immediate pain, I didn't hear cracking while the barbell rolled a bit
    I feared the pain would creep up on me

My current neck status:
    Range of motion is good, no stiffness
    Turning right all the way from left makes less low volume crinkling noises (they were never loud crinkling noises).

This is a sign of getting older and the crinkling is called Crepitus (sort of like bones rubbing on bones)

You may note, this crinkling is a lot less, as I'm overstretched hyperextended neck up at a curve. As u probably know, when you get older, the neck has less of a curve and chiropractors try to restore that curve

So, what has led to this "crinkling is a lot less" (in terms of frequency) is an over the door top, triangular, 2 pulley system neck traction system that has a pad you put under your chin and on the other end of the pulley is a plastic bag, I fill with water according to various levels (5 pounds, 10 pounds or more)

I started with 10 pounds of water weight for 45 minutes, then 30 minutes every other day, it really seems to be working

But I also had something like this which my chiropractor sold me back in 2002, so it has a chiropractor's seal of approval.

If you want, I can link it here if it's allowed to do so? Neck traction system with pulley sold on amazon. It has a lot of great reviews from customers.

It's like not when the chiro cracks your neck left or right, but when he holds under your chin and pulls back allowing for decompression of the neck.

Thanks for asking and letting me know.
    wango likes this.

So I'm more apt to think because of the lack of the severity of the problem with my neck that the looking up and left caused 1st neck stiffness and then crinkling

the barbell rolling would have cause immediate pain and unmistakeable pain as a standard barbell weighs 10 to 15 pounds, plus the weight, going over neck bones, is reallly really bad and would cause a lot more damage, than just neck crinkling (crepitus)
    wango likes this.

Thread Information