usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member

Starting a message board of your own...

Is there good money in starting up and running a bodybuilding message board? Just wondering cuz I'v been noticing boards popping up left and right lately.

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    You could PM jason here probably...Or Over at www.worldclassbodybuilding.com PM basskiller about it. Both would be able to tell you alot...Massjunkie just started his own also at www.bigdogbodybuilding.com ...check them out brotha. All these guys are very knowledgable and good with getttin back to your PM's

Not really interested in starting my own board since I have other business ventures on my plate right now, but just like to know some of the financial rewards a message board can offer. Thanks for the reply though man.

~US~

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    well if you're running a research co... or something similar on the side that is promoted by the board... then i'm sure you make really good money.

system admin is offline Owner
    IT DOESN'T PAY!! TRUST ME.... But it is a hell of a lot of fun :-)

Yeah I gotcha. Sometimes the self-fullfillment outweighs the economic benefits. Lol Must be fun being the lone sheriff in town.

system admin is offline Owner
    Ha! I'm not the real sheriff :-) I may own the board, but the real sheriffs are the mods of whom I dont know the real names of! LOL Once you start a board, it takes the shape of amlost whatever it wants to. We started real small and "adult" and it kindof shaped from there. Still can give you trouble though and the bandwith and upkeep can empty your pockets fast.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    You definitely have to work and network if your goal is to make money from a website for sure. Whatever your service is, or whatever services you will host, you have to find a way to reach your audience and bring them to you. You could have the best site in the world, best offerings/prices on things, and if no-one really knows about it, it never fully develops into it's full potential.

It does take planning, yes. As far as the financial reward, that depends on the person behind the entire endeavor.

~SC~

decadbal is offline Banned
    i have a small company that im tryin to get bigger and mainstream, id def like to have a board for BSing and talkin about this stuff we love... but i fear thats year or two away... but id def love to know what all goes into it, and that sorta thing... im not a comp guru at all, so is it capable for someone who has some decent knowledge of comps, or would i need to invest some time in comp classes. any info is apprechiated bro..

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i would be curious to know

swole or brian, what do you estimate your yearly cost to maintain and keeo your boards would be?on average?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Honestly the costs really fluctuate unless you have a server host that gives you unlimited bandwidth ammounts. Usually a message board site's only costs are monthly hosting fees for the server (or shared hosting) and the bandwidth fees. Everything else can be maintained through the webmaster. I run a lot of internet companies, and I have my own server and those are 99% of the costs of running a site such as this. Then of course if you don't know how to program or install message board software such as this board uses.... you would have to pay someone to set it up. But really it just depends on how much bandwidth your server/site is using that determines your monthly costs etc.

Mike

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    If you can do all of the tech work yourself the costs are largely variable because banwidth will be your only real expense after the initial upfront hardware purchase. A message board costs a fraction of what a media rich content site costs to run. Depends also what kind of bells and whistles you add. Does AR need an arcade? How many people does a feature like this bring? What level of software do you wish to run? ect, ect

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    running a board would seem to be alot of work imo...much props to all mods and board owners

mass junkie is offline banned
    I would say that Marketing is the biggest expense that a board owner would make initially, then depending on the road you choose to travel if you choose to sell products then you have to make the decision on wether or not to front the cost of the product for a bigger discount or have smaller margins of profit and not stock the product but rather ship directly from a distributor. Either way its gotta be intresting and fullfilling to see ones own creation grown and prosper....to all board owners out there I say "may the fruits of your labor flow like the salmon of capistrano"

Thread Information