Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    you dont WEIGH 200lbs. thats the force gravity exerts on you. weight is a measurement of MASS. so to be correct, we would say we weigh 6.25 slugs, which approximates to 200lbs of force. its futile to try to correct anyone or ask them the truth, so i guess as long as the gravitational force remains the same here on earth it should be ok. however, 100kg will be 100kg wether its on the moon or the earth
    In space you have no weight
    But you can always reach around and grab your mASS.

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    Americans ferar change we wnat nothign to be changed, we relie on rutine and comfort of nowing what is going on. lets say they took the main street in your town and made it one way, you would go nuts for quit awhile

decadbal is offline Banned
    bc you guys all need to come to us..

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    **** right money boss!!! im so sick of converting. Ive seen so many people fail a class just cause they cant grasp the metric system.

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Canadians use the metrics system.. yes..

Sup Kiwi! Long time brutha!
    G'day mate, yeah its been a while but its about to all settle down over my way so i'll be in more often. How you been?

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    G'day mate, yeah its been a while but its about to all settle down over my way so i'll be in more often. How you been?
    Good brutha... real good.. just finished my co-op actually.. glad to get back into school as a matter of fact.. might go to Germany to work for the winter though.. (co-op thru either BMW, Audi, or Benz)..
    Stay in touch !

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chances
    Conversion between metric and imperial is pretty easy:

2.2 liters to 1 gallon
    2.2 kilograms to 1 pound

convert kph to mph approximately:
    multiple kph by 6 and drop last number (i.e. - 120kph X 6 = 720 so mph = 72)

convert mph to kph approximately:
    multiple mph by 6, drop last number and add mph (i.e. 72 X 6 = 432 then 72 + 43 = 115)

celcius to fahrenhite:
    (degrees C X 5/9) + 32

fahrenhite to celcius:
    5/9 X (degrees F - 32)

Not that big a deal actually.

chance
    Hahahaha. Easy huh? There are 4.54 litres to a gallon!!!

BTW it's .621.

Just bugging ya!

l6873 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Hahahaha. Easy huh? There are 4.54 litres to a gallon!!!

BTW it's .621.

Just bugging ya!
    ...I thought there were 3.78 liters in one US gallon

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by l6873
    ...I thought there were 3.78 liters in one US gallon
    We use the British gallon...my bad.

Vanmuscle is offline Junior Member
    One of the major benefits of the metric system is conversion within the system. Because it's a decimal system, everthing is based on tens. The basic unit of length is 1 metre, which is based originally on 1 ten millionth of the distance from the north pole to the equator, as running through Paris.

Once you have the metre, you just divide/multiply by ten. A centimetre is 1/100 of a metre, a millimetre is 1/1000 of a metre. Likewise, a kilometre is 1000 metres.

Same goes for mass. The basic unit of measurement is a gram, which is equal to the mass of 1 cubic centimetre of water. Then a kilogram is 1000 grams.

Volume is the same concept. The basic unit of volume is a litre, which is 1000 cubic centimetres, or 1 kg of water. Millilitres are 1/1000 of a litre (or 1 cubic centimetre), centilitres are 1/100 of a litre, which is how Europeans measure canned drinks (in Canada we use milliltres (ml)).

I think once you are using the metric system, it's very easy to use, especially if you're in a discipline like Engineering, where conversion and movement of decimals is so easy. The trouble is the conversion. In Canada, we switched to metric in the 60's or 70's (I'm not entirely sure when). The older people still use English measurements for a lot of stuff, but the roadsigns are in metric, as are standard weights and volumes on packaging. I think the conversion was hell, and probably cost a helluva lot of money. One benefit for my generation is that most of us still know both systems. I would imagine the costs for conversion for the US would be hurrendous, maybe that's why things haven' tchanged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information