Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    so is it canada vs usa? i didnt see the canada czech repub game although i will confess i was rooting for the czechs.
    Canada won 4 to 3
    OT goal by LeCavalier. It was a shot by him rebound snap shot again deflects to a sharp angle shot in.

it was crazy.

great game.

its Canada vs Finland.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    well crap both teams i wanted in arent. oh well, i cant believe the us got as far as they did. too bad about the czechs. did you see them smear germany something like 7-2

Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    well crap both teams i wanted in arent. oh well, i cant believe the us got as far as they did. too bad about the czechs. did you see them smear germany something like 7-2

yah... crazy... but I HATE Jagr with a passion. WHINEY WHINEY WOMAN OF A WANNA BE MAN.

Id pay money to beat that dudes a$$.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator

Woooooooooooooooo!!!

Canada wins World Cup of Hockey

Canadian Press

9/14/2004

TORONTO (CP) - The elation of winning the World Cup of Hockey on Tuesday night was mixed with regret and uncertainty for Team Canada.

Shane Doan's third-period goal lifted Canada to a 3-2 victory over Finland, ending a 16-day tournament played under the knot of anxiety that the NHL will lock out its players at midnight Wednesday, placing the 2004-05 season in jeopardy.

"It's definitely disappointing after the high we're having now that we might not be able to play,'' said goaltender Martin Brodeur. "But the business side enters now.''

Doan's goal 34 seconds into the third period stood up as Canada ended the eight-team tournament with a perfect 6-0 record. They never trailed in any of the games.
    "It was pretty special,'' said Doan. ``I'll never forget being part of this team and being able to contribute.''

All thoughts of negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement with the owners were temporarily put aside as the final horn sounded and players mobbed Brodeur in celebration.

They were presented with the new tournament trophy - an odd-looking crystal tube designed by architect Frank Gehry - after shaking hands with the dejected Finns.

Vincent Lecavalier, one of the young players who led Canada in this World Cup, was named tournament MVP. He led the team with seven points.

Three Canadians made the tournament all-star team - Brodeur, Lecavalier and defenceman Adam Foote - along with Finland's Saku Koivu and Kimmo Timonen and Swedish forward Fred Modin.

For Brodeur, who won his duel with hot Finnish goaltender Miika Kiprusoff, the World Cup victory added to his collection of an Olympic gold medal and three Stanley Cups with the New Jersey Devils.

"This ranks high,'' he said. ``The way we dominated this tournament is something I'll never forget.

"How often can you say you went 6-0?''

Finland finished first in the European pool of round robin play and then upset the United States 2-1 in St. Paul, Minn., in the semifinals. Canada won the North American pool and survived a weak 4-3 semifinal win over the Czech Republic on Lecavalier's overtime goal.

The labour negotiations followed Canada from the start of training camp on Aug. 20 in Ottawa, with meetings in Ottawa, in Montreal during the round robin and in Toronto during single-game elimination play.

Coach Pat Quinn, who also led the 2002 Olympic squad, said the men in suits could not be ignored.

"Our guys worked hard not to have it be a distraction,'' he said. ``I knew it was on a lot of their minds.

"It was around us all the time. It is bittersweet in a lot of ways. A wonderful experience and a great thing occurred for our players and the World Cup is a tremendous feat, and yet a little sour. (Wednesday) will be sour, I think.''

Canada scored early in each period - Joe Sakic in the first, Scott Niedermayer in the second and Doan in third. Riku Hahl got one back for Finland in the first frame and Tuomo Ruutu scored a beauty in the second, but Brodeur and Canada's defence shut down the Finns in the third.

"Kipper didn't play his best game, but our defence didn't help either,'' said Finland coach Raimo Summanen. ``We made a couple of mistakes as a team.

"Those three goals were a little bit weird, but there was lots of pressure and things happen. But I'm proud of our team and the attitude at this tournament.''

It was a huge game for the Finns, who reached the final of a Canada Cup/World Cup for the first time and were looking for their first victory at a best-on-best tournament. Their biggest win to date was at the 1995 world championships.

Canada, which only a few years ago feared it had slipped a notch in the hockey world, now holds the 2002 Olympic gold medal, two consecutive IIHF world championship gold medals and the World Cup.

"We're proving every tournament that Canada's the best in the world,'' said winger Dany Heatley. ``It's important to the fans and the country and we want to keep that tradition going.''

Ruutu's goal with one minute left in the second period sent the teams into the final frame at 2-2, but Doan broke the deadlock on the first shift of the final period when he banged a pass from Joe Thornton past Miikka Kiprusoff 34 seconds in.

Team Canada executive director Wayne Gretzky, a part owner of Doan's club the Phoenix Coyotes, was beaming for his player.

"I told him it's up there with (Mario) Lemieux, (Darryl) Sittler and (Paul) Henderson,'' Gretzky said, alluding to past stars who scored series-winning goals. ``You'll see that in highlights for years to come.''

The checking line of Doan, Thornton and Kris Draper had a huge night, producing two goals and tying up Finland's big line of Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne and Jere Lehtinen. The line played against the opposition's best throughout the tournament.

"They were a bit different from other lines because of their speed and how they like to give-and-go,'' Doan said of the Finns. ``But our defence also played incredible. (Robyn) Regehr and Niedermayer also played against them.''

The Finns played a strong forechecking game and several times had Canada boxed in its zone, but the home side responded with a robust checking game of its own.

The difference may have been in goal.

A chanting, sellout crowd of 19,370 saw Brodeur shine in his return to the net after missing a game with a wrist injury. He had the edge on Kiprusoff as Canada outshot Finland 33-29.

"I felt great, my wrist didn't bother me at all,'' said Brodeur.

It looked like Canada may have an easy night when Sakic scored only 52 seconds into the game, taking a feed in the slot from Lemieux and scoring on the first shot on goal.

But a tenacious Finland forecheck had Canada running around in its zone when Hahl tipped Toni Lydman's point shot past Brodeur to tie the game at 6:34.

Niedermayer put Canada ahead on a routine shot during a rush down the left side that dribbled through Kiprusoff's pads.

But at the 19:00 mark, Ruutu chipped the puck free in the neutral zone, sidestepped a hit by Simon Gagne and blew past Niedermayer to beat Brodeur with a shot just inside the post.

It was the first time in the tournament Brodeur allowed more than one goal in a game.

Spirited checking helped Canada open the third period by keeping the puck in the Finland zone and Thornton flipped a pass out in front for Doan to score his first of the tournament.

The winning team got $1 million, to be split equally between Hockey Canada and the players, who are to donate the money to a charity of their choice.

Canada also continued the Lucky Loonie tradition, this time with a twist. Instead of burying a loonie in the ice at centre or under a crossbar, six of the coins were taped under the Canadian bench, one for each of the team's wins at the World Cup.

Notes - Finland scratched Ville Nieminen in favour of Hahl ... With Brodeur back, goaltender Jose Theodore was scratched along with forwards Patrick Marleau, Kirk Maltby and Brenden Morrow and injured defencemen Wade Redden (shoulder) and Ed Jovanovski (knee) ... Pop singer Sass Jordan sang O Canada. Actor Cuba Gooding Jr. was in the crowd.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/n...y.asp?id=98659

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Congrats you silly canucks!

how did canada do in the olympics 2 years back?

We won the Olympics too.

Had a party over here last night to watch the game. We were all screaming at the Doan goal!! Sweeeeeet.

TooSmall is offline Associate Member
    one of the best lineups for a hockey team ever

iginla, lemieux, st louis is one hell of a line

and who can forgot brodeur

SEE?

ahhahahHAHHAHhA

YES.

I have the yellow jersey too, I LOVE IT. Now it means SOOO MUCH MORE to me.

I love Canada.

I so want that awesome pic MBH posted on a the wall. Cant wait till and nice framed one comes out!

Quote Originally Posted by TooSmall
    iginla, lemieux, st louis
    Sorry to say bro...it was Lemieux, Iginla, and Sakic.

St. Louis played with Gagne and Richards.

Smyth, Lecavalier, Heatley
    Doan, Draper, Thorton

I was happy to see LeCavalier got MVP

eh, I forgot to mention... I met Iginla on Spadina on saturday night! what a friggen gentlemen. Great fella. Real smiley. Nice to see a happy guy, who deserves it in my books.

and I met Johnny Knoxville at this party I was at... dude was wasted! AHHAHAH

yaph

TooSmall is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Sorry to say bro...it was Lemieux, Iginla, and Sakic.

St. Louis played with Gagne and Richards.

Smyth, Lecavalier, Heatley
    Doan, Draper, Thorton
    **** my bad
    these tylenol 3s got me on a cloud

dally thats awesome man
    did he do any crazy stuff like on the show?

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Im right here chica...i dont like hockey anymore.

Canada does have the best team atm, sobs.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Me either, those greedy bums are locked out at the moment and I hope they stay locked out all year.

Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Im right here chica...i dont like hockey anymore.

Canada does have the best team atm, sobs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information