Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183

    New record bench press

    Sailors Sets World Record in Bench Press
    By Journalist 1st Class (SW) Jay Cope
    Navy News Service
    September 01, 2004


    NEW ORLEANS -- Navy Counselor 1st Class James Burdette attached to Patrol Squadron (VP) 94, set a new world record in the 181-pound weight class Aug. 14 with a bench press of 540 pounds. The record lift was made while he was competing in the American Powerlifting Association sanctioned Panhandle Open in Mobile, Ala.

    Burdette competes in the drug tested open category. His meet winning lift in that category broke the previous record for that classification by 15 pounds. Burdette also lifted 500 pounds in the squat competition and 505 pounds in the deadlift event for a competition total of 1,545 pounds. His event total was second only to a lifter competing in the 308-pound weight class.

    Burdette's previous best in competition was 520 pounds, but he surpassed that in his workouts in preparing for the competition and had told the organizers of the event that he was confident he could break the record at their meet.

    He's hardly done, though, as he has his sights set on passing the 565 pound record bench press in the non-drug tested category for his weight class. If Burdette is successful, the 181-pound weight class would be the only one where the drug tested lift is higher than the non-drug tested.

    "I want to show that you don't need the "juice,'" he said, referring to performance enhancing drugs. "In the long run, they're bad for your body, and you can reach the same levels with just a little more time and dedication."

    But even the 565-pound record is not his ultimate goal. Burdette hopes to exceed 600 pounds in his current weight class, and possibly move up to the 198-pound weight class and shoot for 700 pounds. While those goals could take years to achieve, Burdette doesn't mind, because lifting has become pure fun for him.

    He works out five days a week at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans physical fitness center, including a three mile jog each morning and an average of two and one-half to three hours of lifting in the afternoons.

    But he says the meets are where the enjoyment really is.

    "With most sports, there is a lot of negativity towards your opponents. Powerlifting has a different mentality," said Burdette. "Everyone pulls for each other. You want to see everyone exceed their personal best, because you only want to beat a guy on his best day."

    Burdette's next competition is in Houston, Sept. 18, where he is hoping to break his newly set record.

  2. #2
    hung-solo's Avatar
    hung-solo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    HEELS 2005!!
    Posts
    3,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Sailors Sets World Record in Bench Press
    By Journalist 1st Class (SW) Jay Cope
    Navy News Service
    September 01, 2004


    NEW ORLEANS -- Navy Counselor 1st Class James Burdette attached to Patrol Squadron (VP) 94, set a new world record in the 181-pound weight class Aug. 14 with a bench press of 540 pounds. The record lift was made while he was competing in the American Powerlifting Association sanctioned Panhandle Open in Mobile, Ala.

    Burdette competes in the drug tested open category. His meet winning lift in that category broke the previous record for that classification by 15 pounds. Burdette also lifted 500 pounds in the squat competition and 505 pounds in the deadlift event for a competition total of 1,545 pounds. His event total was second only to a lifter competing in the 308-pound weight class.

    Burdette's previous best in competition was 520 pounds, but he surpassed that in his workouts in preparing for the competition and had told the organizers of the event that he was confident he could break the record at their meet.

    He's hardly done, though, as he has his sights set on passing the 565 pound record bench press in the non-drug tested category for his weight class. If Burdette is successful, the 181-pound weight class would be the only one where the drug tested lift is higher than the non-drug tested.

    "I want to show that you don't need the "juice,'" he said, referring to performance enhancing drugs. "In the long run, they're bad for your body, and you can reach the same levels with just a little more time and dedication."

    But even the 565-pound record is not his ultimate goal. Burdette hopes to exceed 600 pounds in his current weight class, and possibly move up to the 198-pound weight class and shoot for 700 pounds. While those goals could take years to achieve, Burdette doesn't mind, because lifting has become pure fun for him.

    He works out five days a week at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans physical fitness center, including a three mile jog each morning and an average of two and one-half to three hours of lifting in the afternoons.

    But he says the meets are where the enjoyment really is.

    "With most sports, there is a lot of negativity towards your opponents. Powerlifting has a different mentality," said Burdette. "Everyone pulls for each other. You want to see everyone exceed their personal best, because you only want to beat a guy on his best day."

    Burdette's next competition is in Houston, Sept. 18, where he is hoping to break his newly set record.

    308 lbs naturally! thats a biiiig boy! he needs to be in the nfl not the **** navy! well unless he is well....... you know! j/k!

  3. #3
    inheritmylife's Avatar
    inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    a state of denial
    Posts
    2,983
    He's in the 181 lb weight class. I'd like to see his bench shirt.

  4. #4
    hung-solo's Avatar
    hung-solo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    HEELS 2005!!
    Posts
    3,977
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    308 lbs naturally! thats a biiiig boy! he needs to be in the nfl not the **** navy! well unless he is well....... you know! j/k!
    where did i get 308?? ah nevermind

  5. #5
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Pretty amazing. I'd like to see that. See not all sailors are fat lazy slobs

  6. #6
    juicehoe's Avatar
    juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    the gym
    Posts
    2,405
    thats a sweet bench. Im in that same weight class, so thats mind blowing!

  7. #7
    PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    1,942
    For the APA that is a world record. There are numerous powerlifting federations. The "real" powerlifting federation is the IPF, the world record for the 181lb weight class in the IPF is 555. 540 is still an AWESOME bench press none the less. But it was done with a triple ply bench shirt. Verses a single ply in the IPF.

    http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/
    All weights and weight classes are in kilos, to get lbs multiply the kilo by 2.2 to get lbs.

    -PurePower

  8. #8
    MIKE_XXL's Avatar
    MIKE_XXL is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,335
    WOW that's impressive!
    SOURCE CHECKS ONLY FOR USERS WITH OVER 100 POSTS.



    All of the Statements made by Mr. Mike_XXL are purely fictional and have absolutely no merit and are not meant to cure, prevent or diagnose any disease, please consult your Physician before starting any exercise and supplement regiment.


    Canadian proud, Northern muscle baby!

  9. #9
    nathanw21's Avatar
    nathanw21 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    in some pu$$y
    Posts
    519
    how tall is this guy?

  10. #10
    Benches505's Avatar
    Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,366
    <~~~~I was doing this until I learned about the bench shirt.I just can't understand why those things are even allowed.

  11. #11
    Dude-Man's Avatar
    Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nowhere, USA
    Posts
    5,978
    is IPF drug tested?

  12. #12
    decadbal's Avatar
    decadbal is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Charlotte
    Posts
    11,924
    hes strong bc of all the marines who raped him... fightin em off...lol

  13. #13
    brian11's Avatar
    brian11 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Under the gym
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    He works out five days a week at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans physical fitness center, including a three mile jog each morning and an average of two and one-half to three hours of lifting in the afternoons.
    Sh!t, so much for a 45-60 min workout huh?

  14. #14
    Phillyboy1's Avatar
    Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    bout my money
    Posts
    2,445
    f-ck bench shirts. might as well use rubber bands to help pull the weight off of your chest

  15. #15
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    ****nnnnnn, one of my training partners is natural at 203 and benches 500 for a double, raw. I gotta get him into PL and juice.

  16. #16
    Spoon's Avatar
    Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    3,710
    thats superhuman!

  17. #17
    slizzut's Avatar
    slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstomper
    f-ck bench shirts. might as well use rubber bands to help pull the weight off of your chest

    My thoughts exactly.

  18. #18
    Benches505's Avatar
    Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,366
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstomper
    f-ck bench shirts. might as well use rubber bands to help pull the weight off of your chest
    I was starting to think I was the only one against them. And the rubber band analogy fits perfect hope you don't mind if I borrow it now and then <~~~No bench shirt

  19. #19
    Spoon's Avatar
    Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    3,710
    i agree bench shirts should be banned for record lifts.

  20. #20
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    I work out for 2-3 hours. I used to bench 280 at 190lbs raw.

  21. #21
    Phillyboy1's Avatar
    Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    bout my money
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    I work out for 2-3 hours. I used to bench 280 at 190lbs raw.
    dont work out so much, your bench may go up. it sounds like your over training. just for a examble im 182lbs and max 355 raw, and im not strong by any means. i train chest once a week for about 3 minutes with a total of about 12 sets

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •