Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    OneMoreSet's Avatar
    OneMoreSet is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    hell
    Posts
    316

    Starting A GYM!! need some advice

    hey guys I am looking into opening a gym and was curious if you guys could gimmie some ideas of what a good gym name would be. also if there are any gym owners on here could you please pm me, I have some buisness oriented questions.

    thanks
    OMS

  2. #2
    Ben Lifton's Avatar
    Ben Lifton is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    361
    ...open a gym!!! Why would you do something like that to yourself. Picking a good name is the least of your worries... PM me with any questions Bro.

  3. #3
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    SwolesRUs!!

    ~SC~

  4. #4
    decadbal's Avatar
    decadbal is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Charlotte
    Posts
    11,924
    the name doenst mean crap, make sure u have 200lb dumbells and tbar row... i hate gyms that dont

  5. #5
    craneboy's Avatar
    craneboy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    nor*cal
    Posts
    1,540
    PILEDRIVERS gym

  6. #6
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Yeah, and let all the fine ladies in free.

    ~SC~

  7. #7
    Psychotron's Avatar
    Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    the name doenst mean crap, make sure u have 200lb dumbells and tbar row... i hate gyms that dont
    I true T-bar for that matter, not that lame lay against the pad.

  8. #8
    OneMoreSet's Avatar
    OneMoreSet is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    hell
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    the name doenst mean crap, make sure u have 200lb dumbells and tbar row... i hate gyms that dont

    DONE

  9. #9
    Maraxus's Avatar
    Maraxus is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4,345
    The Dungeon....

  10. #10
    hung-solo's Avatar
    hung-solo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    HEELS 2005!!
    Posts
    3,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus
    The Dungeon....
    i like that one! simple and catchy!

  11. #11
    Mart651's Avatar
    Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    chatt
    Posts
    3,142
    Here is my best advice. What ever money you have decided you need to open the gym and operate. DOUBLE that and you should be fine. Got a good buddy that owns three and took none of my advice. By next month he should be down to 1. He had six.

    A gym is woese than a restraraunt for failing if you ask me. Good luck, I hope you the best.

  12. #12
    needmorestrength's Avatar
    needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    7,079
    Man have some live strippers!!! u'd be the most popular gym ever.. but you can only enter the strip room once you have puked from working out so hard lol

  13. #13
    partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,143

    best of luck

    Quote Originally Posted by Mart651
    Here is my best advice. What ever money you have decided you need to open the gym and operate. DOUBLE that and you should be fine. Got a good buddy that owns three and took none of my advice. By next month he should be down to 1. He had six.

    A gym is woese than a restraraunt for failing if you ask me. Good luck, I hope you the best.
    it is IMO on of the hardest if not the hardest thing i have ever done in my life and no matter hwo prepared you are nothign ever works out as planned completely. best advice is to be proactive at all times. you can't wait for a problem to arise to try and fix it. every problem costs you $$ in some capacity. location is #1 and define precisely who your target market is and get at them through every marketing tactic know to man. **** advertising as that is $$ that will never pay itself back IMO. you don't just get a lease throw some **** in there, open the door, and hope for the best. the $$$ is huge for start up especially if your space needs to be demo'd and rebuilt. the licenses and insurance alone are a kick in the balls. there are so many things to think about. have a good legal team around you.

  14. #14
    Mart651's Avatar
    Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    chatt
    Posts
    3,142
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    it is IMO on of the hardest if not the hardest thing i have ever done in my life and no matter hwo prepared you are nothign ever works out as planned completely. best advice is to be proactive at all times. you can't wait for a problem to arise to try and fix it. every problem costs you $$ in some capacity. location is #1 and define precisely who your target market is and get at them through every marketing tactic know to man. **** advertising as that is $$ that will never pay itself back IMO. you don't just get a lease throw some **** in there, open the door, and hope for the best. the $$$ is huge for start up especially if your space needs to be demo'd and rebuilt. the licenses and insurance alone are a kick in the balls. there are so many things to think about. have a good legal team around you.

    Ups and downs like a mother ****er to huh?

  15. #15
    Elysium's Avatar
    Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,731
    "Bigger than you" thats a good name

  16. #16
    partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,143

    honestly

    Quote Originally Posted by Mart651
    Ups and downs like a mother ****er to huh?
    it sounds great when someone says, "hey what do you do?" and you can respond.."well i own a gym..." ownershio doesn't always mean you are in the black!!my own program design and personal training company is much more successful to be honest because it's all on me, no partner to **** things up, and overhead is minimal. i am actually looking into opening a PT only studio by 2006-7 now, which is scary because THAT is ALL location and income level in your target market is #1. gotta be booked like crazy to make top $$$. the guy i trained to win the body for life contest opened one with the $$ he won and is doing very well because he put it in an area that is a high concentration of rich jews. not to be offensive in saying that, but in this part of NJ in this area..that's where the excessable income is and is spent. market to $$ if you want any

  17. #17
    t-money's Avatar
    t-money is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    it is IMO on of the hardest if not the hardest thing i have ever done in my life and no matter hwo prepared you are nothign ever works out as planned completely. best advice is to be proactive at all times. you can't wait for a problem to arise to try and fix it. every problem costs you $$ in some capacity. location is #1 and define precisely who your target market is and get at them through every marketing tactic know to man. **** advertising as that is $$ that will never pay itself back IMO. you don't just get a lease throw some **** in there, open the door, and hope for the best. the $$$ is huge for start up especially if your space needs to be demo'd and rebuilt. the licenses and insurance alone are a kick in the balls. there are so many things to think about. have a good legal team around you.
    Amen. I am the GM of a gym and we are successful...there are no other gyms around for 30 miles. It is NEVER easy as it seems. Start up cost is a mutha and operating costs are a bitch too. There are better ways to invest your $$$.

    T

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •