Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Imperialist is offline Junior Member
    From Gannon himself: (allegedly)

hi everybody, i'm just got back from the hospital, was reading the threads, am touched by the support i've gotten from so many people.

would like to clarify a few points - i don't like being accused of being a cheater, especially by people who don't have a clue what the rules actually were. we originally wanted a no rules match, but kimbos people demanded special rules to protect their fighter. we wrote a (very) short list of rules and both parties signed off on it prior to the fight. they asked for no groundwork and this was agreed to. we never agreed to no submissions, and we can't be held responsible if his team was so ignorant of our sport that they didn't realize you could do submissions standing. same with knees. they asked for no kicks and we agreed. kicks were clearly defined as "striking with any part of the shin or foot". knee strikes were completely legal. i followed the rules to the letter, but kimbos team violated them repeatedly.

the rules were signed by both parties prior to fight time. our team was completely aware of the rules, and all the chaos stemmed from a lack of real fight experience on his team. it was like when tyson had his buddies work his corner in the buster douglas fight, and they didn't even bring an endswell. kimbo is tremendous competitior and deserved better.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216603
    Last edited by Imperialist; 11-18-2004 at 09:58 PM.

skinnyhb is offline Member
    here is the last paragraph from Gannon, which i found interesting.

"i don't know if his medical insurance is as good as mine, and i wrote to iceberg about setting up a fund to help him if he needs it. if he isn't hurt, he still deserves some bread for being such a warrior and having a tremendous heart. anyone who was entertained by the fight should kick him a little something, he earned it.

and again, thank you for your support."

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Amateurs shouting cheater, no rules in fighting idiots!!!

skinnyhb is offline Member
    they actually did make rules before the fight though and both fighters signed them. nothing illegal was performed though.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialist
    From Gannon himself: (allegedly)

hi everybody, i'm just got back from the hospital, was reading the threads, am touched by the support i've gotten from so many people.

would like to clarify a few points - i don't like being accused of being a cheater, especially by people who don't have a clue what the rules actually were. we originally wanted a no rules match, but kimbos people demanded special rules to protect their fighter. we wrote a (very) short list of rules and both parties signed off on it prior to the fight. they asked for no groundwork and this was agreed to. we never agreed to no submissions, and we can't be held responsible if his team was so ignorant of our sport that they didn't realize you could do submissions standing. same with knees. they asked for no kicks and we agreed. kicks were clearly defined as "striking with any part of the shin or foot". knee strikes were completely legal. i followed the rules to the letter, but kimbos team violated them repeatedly.

the rules were signed by both parties prior to fight time. our team was completely aware of the rules, and all the chaos stemmed from a lack of real fight experience on his team. it was like when tyson had his buddies work his corner in the buster douglas fight, and they didn't even bring an endswell. kimbo is tremendous competitior and deserved better.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216603
    Wow, what a gentleman. This dude reminds me of Goku, but edumacated.

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    wtf ? we all know hercule owns goku....

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    someone better post a link that works or else the bannings begin !!!

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMA
    looks are decieving. i've sparred with gannon and personally watched him win the golden gloves several times. every week his next opponent would say "this guy sucks, all i have to do is..." and then gannon would beat him too. surprisingly hard to hit. if u watch that tape carefully, you'll be amazed at how punches he slips. its hard to see if you don't know boxing, but he makes a lot of stuff miss by inches, and actually had much better punch stats than kimbo. when a local tough guy would first go to the gym, they would have him just throw punches at gannon nonstop, and gannon would just keep making them miss over and over again.

of course things got ugly when they got tired, but these were huge guys (gannon floats 280-290) and went nonstop for 10 minutes. and that kimbo guy is very good as well. that slip to "eyepop" counter on the first tape looked like it came out of a textbook.
    Ganon is a good boxer , but I cannot accurately determine how well he is because I don't box , I grapple .

I wish the fight had been " anything goes " ( except for outside interference of course .. ) then I think the fight would have come to an abrupt end soon into the match .

man a rematch would be well sweet...

And billy here is your link, i better be geting something sweet for it ...

http://www.notworksafe.com/videos/vi...nonvsKimbo.mov

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    tough guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information