Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Well my father was the lazy bastard type. Hardly worked a day in his life and still hadn't time for us. Fcuk him, I'll never have to thank him for anything at least.
    I hate to hear that.

As I get older, I see myself falling into that same role as my father, working too much, and not spending enough time with my children. I try my best to do the fun things with them, even just laying around playing video games with them, which they really enjoy.

decadbal is offline Banned
    well after like 3 days of thinking, one of my fav memories of a child, i still remember it whenever i see or eat or smell a babyruth or a good ole fashion wood fire..

my family when i was a kid(i grew up in the mtns of western NC, which is alot farther behind the rest of the world) we had wood stoves in our house, so right before it would get super cold, my dad and my moms brothers and dad would get their trucks and go off into the nantahala natnl forest and cut down trees and college firewood (its illegal now, but wasnt 20 years ago), anyway i dont remember alot, it was just fun, bc me, and all my cousins would go out and get to play all day in the woods with my dad and uncles all cutting wood, my mom would let us eat candy all day, and i always would eat baby ruths or the cinnimon raisin little debbies, sometimes they would have a fire built bc it would be semi cold or getin cold, so now evertime i see a babyruth or smell a fire like that, it makes me happy and think back to that. good times fellas

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    well after like 3 days of thinking, one of my fav memories of a child, i still remember it whenever i see or eat or smell a babyruth or a good ole fashion wood fire..

my family when i was a kid(i grew up in the mtns of western NC, which is alot farther behind the rest of the world) we had wood stoves in our house, so right before it would get super cold, my dad and my moms brothers and dad would get their trucks and go off into the nantahala natnl forest and cut down trees and college firewood (its illegal now, but wasnt 20 years ago), anyway i dont remember alot, it was just fun, bc me, and all my cousins would go out and get to play all day in the woods with my dad and uncles all cutting wood, my mom would let us eat candy all day, and i always would eat baby ruths or the cinnimon raisin little debbies, sometimes they would have a fire built bc it would be semi cold or getin cold, so now evertime i see a babyruth or smell a fire like that, it makes me happy and think back to that. good times fellas
    Absolutely I can really identify with the smell of an ole fashion wood fire.

We had a wood stove downstairs and I would go with my father cutting firewood all the time, he would cut down the tree, and cut it up into 3’ sticks and it was my job to load it on the truck.

We would bring it home, and after school I would have to split it, hard work.

Our home was heated for many years with that one wood stove.

decadbal is offline Banned
    yea us to, till we moved to charlotte for a while, we only used a wood stove, thats the keep your door open all the time so your room isnt 30degrees wood stove.. i burnt my hands bigtime on that dam thing when i was like 7 or something, another ingenious move in my lifetime..hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    yea us to, till we moved to charlotte for a while, we only used a wood stove, thats the keep your door open all the time so your room isnt 30degrees wood stove.. i burnt my hands bigtime on that dam thing when i was like 7 or something, another ingenious move in my lifetime..hahaha

I've actually still got that old wood stove, I have a 30 by 50 barn, and I use it to heat it. During a Ice Storm several years back, we even cooked on the thing.

I had the downstairs part of the house I grew up in 90 Deg. one day with it freezing and snow on the ground outside.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I’ve quit a few but this one is one of my favorites...oh crap I just thought of another so I’ll tell you them both:

I grew up not poor but not wealthy by any means. I’ve two brothers so keeping us entertained on the weekends, without any money, was a tough job for my mom. We used to take crab traps and chicken parts down to the inlets of the bay in MS and sit out there under bridges having a blast catching and sometimes not catching anything. This one time though my brothers and I hauled in a good number of blue crabs. My brother Chris caught this one that was freakin huge….so big we chased that ****ed thing around for the longest time because we were all to scared to grab it and throw it in the bucket. We did however, get it into the bucket and took everything home.

When we got to the house my dad had a huge pot of boil going and all excited we ran in to show him all we caught. Now I have to tell you my old man is a pretty big guy….not fat just a big man. My brothers as well as myself looked up to him and still do to this day. Anyway we’re standing next to him as he’s chucking them into the pot, laughing and cutting up (my old man is pretty funny). Finally after a while he gets to Chris’s huge crab, even my old man thought that was a huge crab. So he grabs the crab by the back, all the while watching us, throws him in the pot and slams the lid down on it. After a few seconds he looks at us and said “what do you boys think? Is he done”? We all nod in agreement that he is….so my old man lifts the lid off the pot and leans over to peer in and I’ll be ****ed if that crab didn’t reach out off that boiling water and latch onto my old man’s nose!!! Here he is yelling with this crab hanging from his nose, doing circles in the kitchen as myself, Nick, Chris and mom are rolling on the floor screaming with laughter…..I **** you not we were crying it was so funny.

The other:

When my grandfather past away three years back I grabbed my brothers and drove ourselves back home to go to the funeral. My grandfather was a great man…a TRUE southern gentleman. He didn’t lose his temper, never smoked or drank, didn’t cuss and never had a cross word for anyone…..never in my entire life did I ever see him do anything that wasn’t on the up and up.

Anyway we were sitting in the church as everyone was paying their respects and going up to the pulpit to say a few words if they wished. At one point no one was saying anything and everyone was just balling away……I composed myself and stepped up to the pulpit. It took me a few moments to collect myself and then I started……” I want to tell you a little story about my grandfather. As you all know he was the greatest man I’ve ever known. In my entire life I never ever once heard him ever say a cuss word or say anything bad about anyone. I used to come up and spend part of my summers helping around the house with my grandparents and spend my day on the lakes fishing with Pawpaw. This one time we had finished all the chores he wanted done that day and snuck away from MeMaw to get a little fishing in. We had been on the lake about three hours when Pawpaw hooked a big one. I’m watching as he fights the fish for a good while and standing by to offer any help I can. He gets it to the surface and pulling it to the side of the boat. Just as that fish, which I thought for sure hit 12 pounds if it was an once, got to the very side of the boat my grandfather leans over the side to wrap his hand around the fish and lift him into the boat…….at that very second the hook slips right out of it’s mouth. I kid you not it all went into slow motion as the fish turns slightly on it side, looks into the eyes of my grandfather, flips it’s tail and slowly glides away…all the while my grandfather is reaching for it and trying to close his hand fast enough to thwart it’s escape. But alas it was for not as the fish swims away. My grandfather at that split second very softly, so low it was below a whisper says to himself “****”. That’s it, just once and not even loud enough that he thought I’d hear it but he did say it. Here I am sitting in the boat thinking to myself “holy cow, my grandfather just said a cuss word”. Had that been anyone else the words would have flowed and never stopped not to mention be much, much worse than ****.

I look up at my grandfather as he’s staring into the murky water and said “Pawpaw, don’t sweat it, you’ll get him tomorrow”. He looks back over at me and with a smile said “No doubt about it boy! Now, take off your shirt and shorts and jump in the water……I dropped the car keys.” Watching my grandmother laugh and nod her head saying “That was Dan all right” is a memory I’ll always cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    I’ve quit a few but this one is one of my favorites...oh crap I just thought of another so I’ll tell you them both:

“No doubt about it boy! Now, take off your shirt and shorts and jump in the water……I dropped the car keys.” Watching my grandmother laugh and nod her head saying “That was Dan all right” is a memory I’ll always cherish.
    Wonderful memories Juggy,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information