newbrew is offline Senior Member

What are your thoughts on Mercury in Fish?

As many know, most fish, including Tuna, have mercury in them. Some agencies suggest that 6oz of tuna in any given week is enough to push mercury levels above normal.

What are your thoughts?

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newbrew
    As many know, most fish, including Tuna, have mercury in them. Some agencies suggest that 6oz of tuna in any given week is enough to push mercury levels above normal.

What are your thoughts?
    hard to say really. if they were caught in the ocean then maybe. if they were farm raised that too can cause a problem. they have found that the food that is given to them may have mercury in it too. go figure.... honestly since bush has let the epa regulations lap over the rivers and lakes are starting to go to ****... i know for a fact in n.c. alone, the levels have risen to the point where in more than half the state has a fish consumption alert.. its only happened in the past 5-6 years too.. so tip your hat to the great christian named bush....

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    As far as I am concerned mercury is a serious threat, however, only to people of certain demographics. Women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children in my opinion should all completely avoid fish/shellfish that contain high traces of mercury. However, keep in mind fish is extremely health, so its only the few fish that contain high levels of mercury should be avoided, all others should definitely be eaten at will....a few rules as written by the epa:

A) Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

b) Fish/shellfish that are considered low in mercury include shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

Some interesting links.....

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html
    .12ppm of mercury in canned tuna

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=1852

Amounts leading to toxicity: The average intake of mercury varies with location and diet. It may range from 10 mcg. to more than 500 mcg., mainly depending on air contamination. Industrial cities and heavily sprayed farmland have the highest levels. The average overall daily intake is probably about 30-50 mcg. Most humans can process at least that much daily without any problems.

Blood levels of mercury should be below .02 ppm, while hair levels may be higher, up to about 3-5 ppm. More than 5 ppm becomes a concern. When these levels are exceeded, we should look for the sources of increased exposure and work toward avoiding or eliminating them.

The agencies say one should consume, on average, no more than 0.1 microgram of mercury per kilogram of body weight per day. If you weigh 130 pounds, then one 6-ounce serving of swordfish, fresh tuna, shark or eight ounces of canned tuna in a given week could send you over that limit (though mercury levels vary from fish to fish within a species). Not that this mercury would stay with you forever; it lingers for a month or two before the body flushes it out.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartDocMD
    As far as I am concerned mercury is a serious threat, however, only to people of certain demographics. Women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children in my opinion should all completely avoid fish/shellfish that contain high traces of mercury. However, keep in mind fish is extremely health, so its only the few fish that contain high levels of mercury should be avoided, all others should definitely be eaten at will....a few rules as written by the epa:

A) Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

b) Fish/shellfish that are considered low in mercury include shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

yeah thats what i read too. i dont eat anything in #1 anyway. well besides kings but thats a rarity

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Dolphins are safer... that is why I always buy the tuna that is not dolphin safe, good protein

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    Dolphins are safer... that is why I always buy the tuna that is not dolphin safe, good protein

they didnt teach you much in prison did they?? haha...

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    they didnt teach you much in prison did they?? haha...

Considering many of us stick needles with all sorts of hormones and pop all kinds of pills to make us grow (or shrink), I think trace anmounts of mercury in fish are the least of our concerns...

I just eat the darn tuna (which I HATE) and don't worry about it.

Red

Thread Information