Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

Thumbs down Partially tore my f*cking left pec..OUCH!!

Yup, stupid injury strikes again.

Never been injured while in a gym, for 8 years I never got hurt.

Today I was doing flat bench, I always use d-bells for development, but last week decided to do barbell and it was a good change. So this week, I went to do some more.

Warmed up w/ 135, then 225 a few times, then did one set of 315 for 10. Racked it and felt great. Stretched a bit, then went to do my 2nd set. First rep was great, second rep something felt a bit "tingly" in the left pec, but I thought it was just something working it's way out, etc., then the third rep I brought the bar down, stopped just before the chest and went to push up. While pushing up I feel like a squirming type of "rip........rip rip"..........but I was able to complete the rep, then racked it as I was freaked! I also "heard" the sound in my head, sounds weird I know, but it was a combo of actually hearing it and "knowing" that something just ain't going right.

I got up and began pacing, grabbing both pecs and rubbing them to make sure I didn't rupture it (I didn't), etc. Heart was going 1000 miles per hour as I remembered how bad it was when I blew out both knees. Man, I was trippin'.......it wasn't hot and didn't hurt, but I knew I f*cked something up.
    Called wifey from the gym on the cell phone, she called the doc, and I left immediately and went to get seen.

He examined me and felt no "lumps" which is good, because nothing tore away from the insertion to the point where it would ball up and be really bad. However, it is a long tear along a big area, so it didn't ball up but did like split in half in many places. Hard to explain, but 5 hours later it hurts. No discoloration, so that is good as for now as well.

So, for at least 2 weeks (I am waiting 3+ before doing any pressing w/chest) I can't do any pressing movements. I'll do legs, back, biceps, etc., but no chest. I have muscle relaxants and anti inflam's to let the muscle heal w/out the negative feedback loop from the brain, and some pain meds because of the large area that was torn. The good thing is that I can still make the pec "dance" like the other one, and there is no deformity at all.

I need to rest and let it totally repair, then I'll be good to go. Rush it and rupture it, and "you are screwed" as the doctor said.

From now on, I'll be doing German Volume type stuff and pre-exhaust movements and never use the barbell again. He gave me many reasons why (sports doctor) d-bells are better, and why people tear pecs w/barbells even with a weight they can easily handle, which was the case here. I'm all about proportion now and being healthy and such, who cares about lifting "heavy" and how much you can push. This happened to me for a reason, and I am going w/it. I'd rather lift and look big using medium weight and getting pumped than to use mod-heavy weights and rupture something, because then you have to have surgery, you lose it all, and it's NEVER the same.

Oh well, may the days pass quickly.

~SC~

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    sorry to hear that. you'll recover quickly though.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Riiiite , nice attempt...we all know you're not human ......

get better bro...but dont hate the big weights....in the 3-6 rep range...the next best thing to sex......if shes really bad...they can come 1st haha...

The nurse called me a stress case, because I was seriously trippin'.

Blood pressure was 156/98............

After I talked to the doc it was 128/80, so it was stress related and continued to go down.......

This was not a fun day.

~SC~

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    welcome to my world Swole... hey, at least some tool didn't drop a 110lbs weight on your neck!!! Hope you have a quick recovery, I'm sure you'll be at it soon!

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Its good to see that you found the positive side of this injury. i think most people would be hating the world right now if they tore their pec. good luck to u.

Believe me, I do hate the world!

But, I know that I'll be fine, just have to not stress and rest.

2-3 weeks of no chest work won't hurt anything in the long run, as when I busted both knees, I couldn't train legs for 10 MONTHS!!!!! That is atropy at it's finest! If anything I can use this as a strategic de-conditioning of sorts for that area, even though that wouldn't be my first choice of an actual "strategy".

~SC~

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    The nurse called me a stress case, because I was seriously trippin'.

Blood pressure was 156/98............

After I talked to the doc it was 128/80, so it was stress related and continued to go down.......

This was not a fun day.

~SC~
    it probably looked funny as hell, a 275 pound gorilla paceing around freaking out at the doctors office.

just messing with you, but you have to admit it sounds funny as hell.

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    wish you a speedy recovery bro.......glad it wasnt something worse

Zapp is offline Banned
    You hit the nail on the head SC. I would rather look big and push semi heavy weight than to get hurt pushing heavy,especially now I'm hitting my late thirties. Learned my lesson when a friend was benching heavy one day and tore his pec. He turned black, blue, and green from his chest down to his lower bicep. He still hasn't got back right. Glad to hear your's wasn't that serious. Good luck with the recovery bro.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    May I kiss it and make it better .

Sorry to hear that SC that does suck! Take care and don't push too soon like ALL men seen to want to do!

The kiss and make it better offer is still on the table ....you know us Mom's got magic kisses .

Heheehe
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

chest6 is offline Banned
    ahh man I can't imagine how that feels to not be able to press for 3 weeks. Hopefully you will have a speedy recovery and good thing you stopped when you felt the tear. I sometimes have a slight discomfort in my anterior deltoid/upper right chest area when I bench and I hope that doesn't happen one day.

Thanks CB, I am sure that would help a lot! It would at least take the blood away from that area to another .................well..............u get the idea.

Really, feeling it begin to tear like that feels NASTY! The doctor was amazed/happy that I was able to finish the rep on the way up and rack that weight.

It was just a sign, and I'm going to learn from it. I want longevity and prosperity, not injury and set backs.

Time to re-prioritize my life and outlook!

~SC~

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Good thing it's not too serious.. get well soon bro!

HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks CB, I am sure that would help a lot! It would at least take the blood away from that area to another .................well..............u get the idea.

Really, feeling it begin to tear like that feels NASTY! The doctor was amazed/happy that I was able to finish the rep on the way up and rack that weight.

It was just a sign, and I'm going to learn from it. I want longevity and prosperity, not injury and set backs.

Time to re-prioritize my life and outlook!

~SC~

Thank god it wasnt serious!! Hope ya feel better. Swole, in one of your paragraphs you mentioned you didnt have lumps or ball up.... just recently had a chest injury, i had a lump and to this day, it looks like there is a marble in my chest.... what does that mean??? lol thanks

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    Im glad your ok man. I tried not listening to my body once, it got me a badly torn trap, lotsa bedtime, and some surgery. Im glad yours didnt end up the same..

I havent done a barbell press in a long, long time, i work out for personal gains, not impress the 19 year old know it alls with big weight...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyHitter

Thank god it wasnt serious!! Hope ya feel better. Swole, in one of your paragraphs you mentioned you didnt have lumps or ball up.... just recently had a chest injury, i had a lump and to this day, it looks like there is a marble in my chest.... what does that mean??? lol thanks
    What kind of chest injury? What were you doing and what did you feel?

When you have a "ball" or lump after feeling a tear/strain starting as I did, it means that some of the muscle tissue actually pulled away from the insertion point and "rolled" back up into a ball. Mine tore in the middle, the insertion area is sore because of the trauma inside, yes, but did not tear there. It tore near the mid-way point between the shoulder insertion by the arm-pit and the middle of the left pec. I am still going to have to be careful, because that tear can extend either way, then I would be screwed!

~SC~

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    I understand why you were flipping out, just feeling that happen, not the pain but feeling it happen would make me FLIP.

I like your out look, you'll recover fast with it.

bigdaddy81 is offline New Member
    good luck with the recovery!

WildCh1ld is offline Banned
    Good luck with the SC!

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Sorry to hear that Swole, hope you get better soon.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    sorry to hear mate
    hopefully u get speedy recovery
    i know where ur comming from
    i did my collar bone in
    havent trained 8 months so far still ****ed up...
    can do back,chest,shoulders,triceps

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    From now on, I'll be doing German Volume type stuff and pre-exhaust movements and never use the barbell again. He gave me many reasons why (sports doctor) d-bells are better, and why people tear pecs w/barbells even with a weight they can easily handle, which was the case here.

~SC~

~Nark

p.s. Get better soon Bro....and holla

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    I teared my my right pec 1 and half years ago , I teared some of the muscle fibres that connect the pec to the shoulder but it was worse than yours because i got some deformation now if I flex it look like something missing in my right pec. I know how it feel it hurt like hell , hope you get better.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i had the same thing from bringin dips back in about a year or so ago.. didnt hurt on the dips, started incline and boom, coudlnt get 225 with horrid pain.. took me almost 2 months to try bench again.. hope u heel up asap bro

ultimo is offline Associate Member
    frig brother get better fast.

like the doc said dont rush er, im sure your gonna do awesome.

med weight and a good pump is definitly the way its done...ive learned that after a few years of training and working out with older guys...young guys wanna lift weight and end up getting hurt...slow and steady wins the bodybuilding game.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Swole I hear where your coming from I had to take ocotber - march off of upper body due to injuries. Training has been going great but my elbows have recently flared up so I am taking a rest. I am 21, and for most people my age training is all about "how much can I lift, and what the **** is form?", but fortunatly for me I've learned at a young age, so hopefully this helps me.. 3/2 tempo is amazing lol
    GL swole, Im sure your genetics will heal you up nice n fast

Heracles74 is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry to hear that bro. Here's to a speedy recovery! At least you have a great attitude about it. Very admireable.

HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    What kind of chest injury? What were you doing and what did you feel?

When you have a "ball" or lump after feeling a tear/strain starting as I did, it means that some of the muscle tissue actually pulled away from the insertion point and "rolled" back up into a ball. Mine tore in the middle, the insertion area is sore because of the trauma inside, yes, but did not tear there. It tore near the mid-way point between the shoulder insertion by the arm-pit and the middle of the left pec. I am still going to have to be careful, because that tear can extend either way, then I would be screwed!

~SC~
    sorry to hijack bruva... I was flat benching w/ barbells and felt a tingle and rip in my right shoulder (slight sharp pain). Stupidly i finished my set. tried to go real light to finish my day and got more sharp pain. next week i have a "ball" in my chest... its funny b/c as i flex it goes from my shoulder to the middle of my chest... does this go away?? (feels fine now, but am still worried if i go heavy again) thanks

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Sorry to hear about this bro. I hope you get better soon.

Man I love this board, because seeing all of you reply really helps my attitude and outlook on the situation, and I'm totally serious.

Thank you all.

~SC~

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Man I love this board, because seeing all of you reply really helps my attitude and outlook on the situation, and I'm totally serious.

Thank you all.

~SC~
    Thats good to know bro.

CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot
    Sux to hear that bro, Keep your chin up bro you'll be be back in no time and throwing the weight around like its nothin

chest6 is offline Banned
    315 10 times sounds pretty nuthin to me...

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    315 10 times sounds pretty nuthin to me...
    I was actually amazed how easy it was. I almost had to check if I had three plates on each side after the first set!

U know how some days you just feel weak or have a shitty workout? Well, yesterday was the opposite, I felt very strong for some reason, but I still ended up having a shitty workout!!!!!!

~SC~

chest6 is offline Banned
    I was actually amazed how easy it was. I almost had to check if I had three plates on each side after the first set!

U know how some days you just feel weak or have a shitty workout? Well, yesterday was the opposite, I felt very strong for some reason, but I still ended up having a shitty workout!!!!!!

~SC~
    because of the end result....well 315 never feels light to me...at least not 10 times light. Im sure you weren't expecting an injury feeling like 315 was baby weight. That would be more for the shitty days where I would expect that

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I was squirming reading the post. Damn, Im hoping not to get one. Hope you get better fast Swole.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member

Thank you all.

~SC~
    SC,

And we are all glad you are here too bro!

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    because of the end result....well 315 never feels light to me...at least not 10 times light. Im sure you weren't expecting an injury feeling like 315 was baby weight. That would be more for the shitty days where I would expect that
    Oh believe me, it felt like a formidable weight, not "light/easy" by any means, but the fact that I did 10 easier than I've ever done was strange. It is heavy, but I was just able to move it with more ease than I've done before.

Ironic as h*ll though!

~SC~

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Swole....One good thing about this is.....Muscle Relaxers are the Bomb.....Pop one sit back on the couch and relax............and then relax some more, LOL. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information