Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 122
  1. #1
    spound's Avatar
    spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Georgia and Texas
    Posts
    2,116

    Need help picking out handgun..

    OK i will be getting a handgun here in the next week or two and have narrowed it down to either a glock or beretta..... 9mm or .40 cal

    Please help me decide. Here is what I think of each:

    Glock:
    very reliable
    shoot at any time, even underwater
    easy to clean
    cheap

    beretta:
    looks cooler
    I like the grip on the handle better
    has a safety


    9mm:
    cheaper rounds
    less recoil

    .40 cal:
    more expensive rounds
    but will knock your ass down

    THese are my thoguht on the two, please enlighten me on some things I may not know, or help me decide. THis will be my first handgun and im nto exactly an expert,thanks
    Last edited by spound; 09-03-2005 at 12:26 PM.

  2. #2
    CRUISECONTROL's Avatar
    CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    5,413
    my favorite pistol is a 9mm Glock with a compensated barrell from the factory 4 1/2 inch barrell

  3. #3
    edmen2's Avatar
    edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    juiceville
    Posts
    2,040
    it comes down to personal preference i own both because i couldnt choose. and in case u didnt know u need some type of "caps" to shoot the glock underwater.

  4. #4
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    14,222
    .if you're deadset on a Glock or Baretta,....I'd go with the Glock in .40...BUT, you need to shoot both to see what fits your hand and which one you feel ore comfortable with...Personally in an auto, I prefer an H-K or Sig-Sauer in .45, but that's just me.....Now my wife isn't comfortable with an auto, so she has a stainless Ruger SP-101 with a bobbed hammer in .357 that she likes real well.....
    ..I ended up buying another SP-101 for me to carry when I run.....
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  5. #5
    spound's Avatar
    spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Georgia and Texas
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by edmen2
    it comes down to personal preference i own both because i couldnt choose. and in case u didnt know u need some type of "caps" to shoot the glock underwater.
    Ok, didnt know that, thanks for the feedback. Maybe i jsut need to go to the range and shot all of them side by side....

    Question thgouh...will a .9mm knock someone down? or will it take a couple extra shots? ...i know the .40 cal would **** shit up, its a powerful gun

  6. #6
    spound's Avatar
    spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Georgia and Texas
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    .if you're deadset on a Glock or Baretta,....I'd go with the Glock in .40...BUT, you need to shoot both to see what fits your hand and which one you feel ore comfortable with...Personally in an auto, I prefer an H-K or Sig-Sauer in .45, but that's just me.....Now my wife isn't comfortable with an auto, so she has a stainless Ruger SP-101 with a bobbed hammer in .357 that she likes real well.....
    ..I ended up buying another SP-101 for me to carry when I run.....
    What is the price range on the H-k and the Sig-Sauer ??

  7. #7
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    14,222
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    What is the price range on the H-k and the Sig-Sauer ??
    ..$450 and up for the Sig......$700+ on the H-K...
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  8. #8
    spound's Avatar
    spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Georgia and Texas
    Posts
    2,116
    cool...i'll check out that sig when i go then, but the H-k is a little out of my price reange right now, but I have a feeling this will be the first of many handguns to come, i have really accumulated a great interest for them
    Last edited by spound; 09-03-2005 at 11:13 AM.

  9. #9
    edmen2's Avatar
    edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    juiceville
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Ok, didnt know that, thanks for the feedback. Maybe i jsut need to go to the range and shot all of them side by side....

    Question thgouh...will a .9mm knock someone down? or will it take a couple extra shots? ...i know the .40 cal would **** shit up, its a powerful gun
    in theory the 40 cal is more knockdown and the 9mm high speed which will pass right thru. but trust me when someone gets shot they only keep coming at you in the movies.

  10. #10
    G-13's Avatar
    G-13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my own prison
    Posts
    716
    .40 S&w

  11. #11
    jmt's Avatar
    jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    196
    I've also been tinkering with the idea of buying a hand gun. Have you looked at the Taurus Millenium Pron (9mm or .40)? It's a nice gun and has gotten some good reviews. I was also playing with a Baby Deseret Eagle (.40).

    The Taurus is a compact 10+1 and it fit my hand really well. Check it out.

    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol



    -jmt

  12. #12
    spound's Avatar
    spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Georgia and Texas
    Posts
    2,116
    Yea, that is a good lookin gun, but im pretty set on the glock or baretta, and i am not interested in the compacted models

  13. #13
    edmen2's Avatar
    edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    juiceville
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Yea, that is a good lookin gun, but im pretty set on the glock or baretta, and i am not interested in the compacted models
    if someone made me choose i would probably choose the glock due to its durability. when glock first came out they challenged beretta to leave ur handgun in dirty muddy water for 24hrs then pick it up and fire a couple of rounds. beretta wanted to clean the gun first but glock said no so beretta declined the challenge. glock did it anyway and it fired without missing a beat. just a story i was told back in my law enforcement days.

  14. #14
    spound's Avatar
    spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Georgia and Texas
    Posts
    2,116
    very cool.....good to know, thanks a lot.....i think i am leaning toward glock...the only thing i am considering about beretta is that i like the way it looks more than the glock (but this doestn relaly matter) and that is has a safety...

  15. #15
    jmt's Avatar
    jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    196
    Ah, gotchya.

    From what I've read, they're both good gun makers. However, Glock definately has the bigger brand name.

    Are you not planning to get a carry permit for this gun?

  16. #16
    spound's Avatar
    spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Georgia and Texas
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt
    Ah, gotchya.

    From what I've read, they're both good gun makers. However, Glock definately has the bigger brand name.

    Are you not planning to get a carry permit for this gun?

    Yea, i am going to get one eventually, and now that i think about it, the compact woudl be better for conealed carry, but the full size realy isnt ALL that big. THe main reason i first ruled out the compact is bc of the shorter handle on it which i would not like, especially if i ended up getting the .40 b/c of the recoil (i feel like it wouldnt be as controllable), but i doubt this woudl be a problem with the .9mm

    I guess ill have to think about that

  17. #17
    edmen2's Avatar
    edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    juiceville
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    very cool.....good to know, thanks a lot.....i think i am leaning toward glock...the only thing i am considering about beretta is that i like the way it looks more than the glock (but this doestn relaly matter) and that is has a safety...
    i was a cop for 5 yrs and used to just stick my glock in the small of my back with a round chambered while off duty and i never had any problems cause i was taught not to touch the trigger until it is time to shoot. but there are stories of officers that have shot themeselves in the a$$. in law enforcement u dont use the safety cause it aint like u can tell a criminal hold on let me take the safety off!

  18. #18
    edmen2's Avatar
    edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    juiceville
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Yea, i am going to get one eventually, and now that i think about it, the compact woudl be better for conealed carry, but the full size realy isnt ALL that big. THe main reason i first ruled out the compact is bc of the shorter handle on it which i would not like, especially if i ended up getting the .40 b/c of the recoil (i feel like it wouldnt be as controllable), but i doubt this woudl be a problem with the .9mm

    I guess ill have to think about that
    another thing i forgot to say is that concealed carry gets old real quick. i used to just keep it in the car. think about how many times in ur life have u ever needed a firearm to control the situation.

  19. #19
    CRUISECONTROL's Avatar
    CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    .if you're deadset on a Glock or Baretta,....I'd go with the Glock in .40...BUT, you need to shoot both to see what fits your hand and which one you feel ore comfortable with...Personally in an auto, I prefer an H-K or Sig-Sauer in .45, but that's just me.....Now my wife isn't comfortable with an auto, so she has a stainless Ruger SP-101 with a bobbed hammer in .357 that she likes real well.....
    ..I ended up buying another SP-101 for me to carry when I run.....
    H-K Thats next on my list

  20. #20
    CRUISECONTROL's Avatar
    CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by edmen2
    another thing i forgot to say is that concealed carry gets old real quick. i used to just keep it in the car. think about how many times in ur life have u ever needed a firearm to control the situation.
    I carry mine in my briefcase

  21. #21
    Unoid is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    956
    a G19 would do nicely for ya.

    I'm a Kimber and Kahr fan myself.

  22. #22
    SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    the road to greatness
    Posts
    535
    If this weapon is for the self-defense of you and/or your family, "settling" on something because it's cheaper...


    I say save a bit more and get what you want, and what you can trust JMHO.


    http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/

  23. #23
    GQ-Bouncer's Avatar
    GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    look beyond what you see
    Posts
    2,304
    9mm Browning Hi-Power
    13 rd magazine
    reliable, very few stoppages

    Last edited by GQ-Bouncer; 09-03-2005 at 03:11 PM.

  24. #24
    Mesomorphyl's Avatar
    Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pissing on saluu
    Posts
    7,024
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    9mm Browning Hi-Power
    13 rd magazine
    reliable, very few stoppages

    Or get the Czech version at a better cost... CZ-75 make sure you get the real old ones or the brand new ones(90's productions were of lesser quality)

  25. #25
    abstrack's Avatar
    abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    7,513
    I had both a Glock and a S&W. My Glock was a compact 9mm and the S&W was a 40.cal sigma which is just like the glock.

    Here is my take on the both. The Glock performed much better then the S&W and never jammed up. Both of them were exactly the same as far as breaking the gun downa nd cleaning. basically the Sigma is S&W's version of a Glock. The 9mm was nice but it lacked the stopping power of a 40.cal

    If I was going to buy another hand gun I would go with a 45.cal H&K They are by far the best hand guns out there. The shoot closer groups and have far less problems the then S&W. Glock would be my second choice.
    Iw ouldnt go with anything smaller then a 40.cal

    If you hit someone with a 45.cal, they are going to be stopped dead in their tracks. Same thing with a 40.cal. With a 9mm, you might do more damage due to the samller round but the victim might still be able to move if it isnt a direct kill shot. With a 45.cal you are going to knock you assailant down no matter where you hit them.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    nor-cal(yay area)
    Posts
    585
    i agree with almostgone, anyone who has shot a lot of handguns knows the sig-sauer P220(.45 cal) is the best shooting handgun out there. if you want a 9mm the sig-sauer P226 is the 9mm version.

  27. #27
    collar's Avatar
    collar is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,192
    9mm..

  28. #28
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    14,222
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    If I was going to buy another hand gun I would go with a 45.cal H&K They are by far the best hand guns out there. The shoot closer groups and have far less problems the then S&W.
    ...Mark 23..????
    Last edited by almostgone; 09-03-2005 at 09:52 PM. Reason: ..major brain fart....
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  29. #29
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    14,222
    Quote Originally Posted by armwrestler22
    i agree with almostgone, anyone who has shot a lot of handguns knows the sig-sauer P220(.45 cal)...

    ....That's right.....Sigs and H-K's are the best machined off-the-shelf firearms around IMO....
    ....Customs like wilson combat arms are a different animal...Nice, but a little pricey for me..
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  30. #30
    anaBROLIC's Avatar
    anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    4,563
    i want this one..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help picking out handgun..-pix1530323546.jpg  

  31. #31
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    14,222
    Quote Originally Posted by anaBROLIC
    i want this one..
    ..It's been awhile since I've seen a tip-up loader like that...Can't remember where I saw one, but I've seen a pic of one or actually saw one but it's been some time ago....and I'm old...
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  32. #32
    abstrack's Avatar
    abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    ...Model 21..????
    for the Glock?

    I had a Model 26, but i wish i would have just bought the 21. The 9mm was fun but a waste of money. Kind of like buying a Sportster 1200 then realizing that all along you wanted a Heritage Softtail.


    If I ever purchase again I will get a USP45, either a compact or full size. I might go with compact since I live in AZ and we can carry down here.

  33. #33
    edmen2's Avatar
    edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    juiceville
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    I had both a Glock and a S&W. My Glock was a compact 9mm and the S&W was a 40.cal sigma which is just like the glock.

    Here is my take on the both. The Glock performed much better then the S&W and never jammed up. Both of them were exactly the same as far as breaking the gun downa nd cleaning. basically the Sigma is S&W's version of a Glock. The 9mm was nice but it lacked the stopping power of a 40.cal

    If I was going to buy another hand gun I would go with a 45.cal H&K They are by far the best hand guns out there. The shoot closer groups and have far less problems the then S&W. Glock would be my second choice.
    Iw ouldnt go with anything smaller then a 40.cal

    If you hit someone with a 45.cal, they are going to be stopped dead in their tracks. Same thing with a 40.cal. With a 9mm, you might do more damage due to the samller round but the victim might still be able to move if it isnt a direct kill shot. With a 45.cal you are going to knock you assailant down no matter where you hit them.

    damn bro where do u stay? compton!

  34. #34
    edmen2's Avatar
    edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    juiceville
    Posts
    2,040
    screw it! just go for the super redhawk .44 mag.

  35. #35
    veinyleehaney is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    "The city of Compton!"
    Posts
    143
    Can I buy guns online? Where can you get them cheap? ($150-250)

  36. #36
    veinyleehaney is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    "The city of Compton!"
    Posts
    143
    pm me if you can help me out...

  37. #37
    Iceman911's Avatar
    Iceman911 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anywhere near women
    Posts
    268

    ok

    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    OK i will be getting a handgun here in the next week or two and have narrowed it down to either a glock or beretta..... 9mm or .40 cal

    Please help me decide. Here is what I think of each:

    Glock:
    very reliable
    shoot at any time, even underwater
    easy to clean
    cheap

    beretta:
    looks cooler
    I like the grip on the handle better
    has a safety


    9mm:
    cheaper rounds
    less recoil

    .40 cal:
    more expensive rounds
    but will knock your ass down

    THese are my thoguht on the two, please enlighten me on some things I may not know, or help me decide. THis will be my first handgun and im nto exactly an expert,thanks

    40 cal. only.

    either gun is good. It depends on if you can shoot it or not.

  38. #38
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    14,222
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    for the Glock?

    I had a Model 26, but i wish i would have just bought the 21. The 9mm was fun but a waste of money. Kind of like buying a Sportster 1200 then realizing that all along you wanted a Heritage Softtail.


    If I ever purchase again I will get a USP45, either a compact or full size. I might go with compact since I live in AZ and we can carry down here.

    ..the first H-K i fired was a USP, but if I remember correctly, it carried a model 21 designation...The main difference was a threaded barrel.....

    ..Edit..my bad..I just checked.....it was a mark 23....
    Last edited by almostgone; 09-03-2005 at 09:47 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  39. #39
    abstrack's Avatar
    abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by edmen2
    [/B]
    damn bro where do u stay? compton!
    LOL, naw. I am a little bit mexican, a little bit red neck country and a little rock and roll. You have to think in terms of intrusion into your own property by anybody.

    Now a bullet proof vest will stop the 9mm and not do much damage but possibly if close enough might penetrate and do slight damange. A 40.cal will knock the wind out of you with a vest on and leave a nice bruise on your body and break through if in close enough range. The 45. cal will definitely knock the assialant down and most likely keep him down unconsciously if not penetrate the vest and wound him/her very seriously.

  40. #40
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    14,222
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    LOL, naw. The 45. cal will definitely knock the assialant down and most likely keep him down unconsciously if not penetrate the vest and wound him/her very seriously.

    ..definitely ruin their day...Anything in the 200 grain to 230 grain weight in a bullet like a Hydro-Shock or Golden Saber is BAD NEWS.......
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •