Papi93 is offline AR VET

How Much Do Kids Interfere With Your Workouts?

I'm getting married next year in September. My future wife wants to have two children (boy and girl). We both are college grads but she has a job that pays more. That means I will probably have to be Mr. Mom . I like to strength train for 45 minutes a day, six times per week. Three days during the week, I attend 45 minute Tae Kwon Do classes. What am I going to have to cut out for the kids ? Could you give me some of your experiences please?

chest6 is offline Banned
    I'll stay out of this one.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I'll stay out of this one.
    Por que?

chest6 is offline Banned
    haha im 18 I wouldn't know

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    haha im 18 I wouldn't know
    Esta bien.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    I have no experience dealing with kids or wives (at least not my own) but here's what I would do. It sounds like you and your better half should have a little bit of money. Hire a maid, dude. Preferably a cute Filipina. Pay her to change diapers and mow the lawn. Make sure she washes her hands and have her cook your meals as well. There you go, problem solved.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    your life will complwtly revolvew around your child or the first 2 yrs unless you want to dump them off at a day care when they turn 18 months,

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    your life will complwtly revolvew around your child or the first 2 yrs unless you want to dump them off at a day care when they turn 18 months,
    I can workout while they sleep, can't I?

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    no cause youll probably want to sleep at that time too lol

decadbal is offline Banned
    just lay down the rules, no talkin to poppa when he is bout to get his gay tkd on.. or bout to go work out, or its your tiny little ass

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    just lay down the rules, no talkin to poppa when he is bout to get his gay tkd on.. or bout to go work out, or its your tiny little ass
    I supposed at a towering 5 feet 9 inches, it would seem gay . Seriously, I rather practice muay thai but the TKD studio is only a mile from our apartment. Thanks for the advice, otherwise.

CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot
    Brotha I deal with this prob everyday.......... I workout at home and have two kids and a fiancee.......... it is a pain cuz when they are up u need to spend time with them and when they are asleep (TTU is right u want to sleep too) but you also cant workout with the same intensity cause you might wake them.......... If you are on cylcle GO TO THE GYM!!!!!!!!!! if not try and work around it like involving them while you workout ........... Either way it is a royal pain but I love my kids so my workouts sometimes sacrifice themsevles

i miss the mt...

Gerkie66 is offline Female Member
    most gyms offer a kids club/day care in the gym while you workout...(i used to work at one)...it is usually fun for the kids and gives the parents a break

Gerkie66 is offline Female Member
    ...not too mention a time to workout

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerkie66
    ...not too mention a time to workout
    Forgot about that one. Thanks!

geoneo is offline Associate Member
    well i got experience in this also, have one kid and wife. Trust me its tuff sometimes, when your in the mood to workout all pumped up, theres times you cant go, have to take care of my son first. Its a little easier now since his 2yrs old so i can drop him of with his grandparents for like 1-2hrs. But 2yrs is the terrible twos. I use to wake up 4am and go workout while my son and wife where sleeping, but then i realized i wasn't getting enough rest. the best thing to do is drop them off or have a relative come over to look after them, other then that you will have to arrange something with your wife. for me its tuff since my wife works fulltime, so i have to shedule everything around my wife and kid. unfortunatly my gym doesn't have a daycare like most gyms do, so thats another option, but most only accept kids at a certain age. anyhow good luck. the best thing in my opinion is to buy weights for home and workout during the kids naptime which could be like 2-3hrs, its pretty easy if you can get the kid in a routine.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Since my girlfriend doesn't work it's very simple on my end. She watches my kids and cooks my meals while I go to the gym. If she made the bread in the family things would be much tougher, I guess taking advantage of the daycare gyms provide would be a good option.

clipper is offline Associate Member
    I have 2 kids. I deal with this every day. My oldest is 2 1/2. I work out in my house down cellar. I just take him with me. He runs around. But I also bought him his own set of weights. 2-3-4-5 lbs. Rubber covered ones. He loves it. I get to work out, and he does it what i do sometimes.
    Then my wife has the youngest one. He is 3 months. To early to start him yet.

But sometimes, ther just is not time for it. The kid is sick or mom is, or they need you to spend "better" time with them. But over all it is good. I still get my 4 times a week in the gym!! (most weeks)

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    no kids for me im getting clipped and im not telling any girl i date so if she ends pregnant i know for sure she's a ho.

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Mine is the reason I am getting fat... oh yea and the pizza wine beer, sandwiches, so on and so on... lol

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by geoneo
    well i got experience in this also, have one kid and wife. Trust me its tuff sometimes, when your in the mood to workout all pumped up, theres times you cant go, have to take care of my son first. Its a little easier now since his 2yrs old so i can drop him of with his grandparents for like 1-2hrs. But 2yrs is the terrible twos. I use to wake up 4am and go workout while my son and wife where sleeping, but then i realized i wasn't getting enough rest. the best thing to do is drop them off or have a relative come over to look after them, other then that you will have to arrange something with your wife. for me its tuff since my wife works fulltime, so i have to shedule everything around my wife and kid. unfortunatly my gym doesn't have a daycare like most gyms do, so thats another option, but most only accept kids at a certain age. anyhow good luck. the best thing in my opinion is to buy weights for home and workout during the kids naptime which could be like 2-3hrs, its pretty easy if you can get the kid in a routine.
    I sounds like strength training at home will be the easiest method. I'll just have to wait until they take a nap.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Many gyms have free day care centers in them, do that.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron
    Many gyms have free day care centers in them, do that.
    On the flip side how well do you think those gym folks watch those kids? during peak hours there can be 25 kids in the one at my gym and the girl watching them spends more time talking on the phone than actually looking after the kids. Someone could just walk in and take one and she wouldn't know it left with the right person. Tough call Bro's

I hate to say this bro, but when your first kids comes, I guarantee you working out will take a SERIOUS dip in your list of priorities. When your kid is born, you don't care so much anymore for what you want or like... it all seems so unimportant compared to the needs and wants of your kid.

Oh you'll still find time to work out... but for the first few years it just won't seem *that* important anymore. Kids do that to you... Then as time goes by, you'll get back in the loop and all will be fine.

And then some day he'll ask you to come to the gym with ya... mines 12 and I still get that warm fuzzy feeling whenever he asks to come "work out" with me

Red

bodybuilding is about adapting and overcoming, When I have kids I'll do whatever it takes to get my workouts in. My goal is to build a kickass home gym in a 2-3 car garage. Not many homes w/ basements here, mostly slab homes, so it'll have to be a garage most likely. Then I'll make freinds w/ some teenager or neighborhood kid and give him like 10 bucks to come over and spot me, hopefully he'll take to weight training at my place and I'll stop paying him

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    Parenting is awesome, with that said it will defianately test the limits of your relationship with your wife, friends, family, and with them. You can still make the time to workout but you can get thrown a lot of curveballs. Will you be a single or double income family? What happens to your schedule if your child gets sick. What happens to your energy level if your up all night for a month because they don't want to sleep. I have a 4 yo son who means everything in the world to me, but, when we first had him I was working two jobs, eating poorly, failing to get adequate rest and ran into a succession of injuries until I was able to stabilize my life and then get into the gym. A home gym sounds awesome, it gives you something to do together with your family and maximises your time together. The biggest help to myself through parenting was learning effective time management and planning. Good luck.

dans is offline Junior Member
    You can still get your workouts in, but it will be much harder, and you will have to make a schedule that fits. It is all about time management

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I will never date a girl with kids. I could not raise a kid made by other man.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianVodka
    Personally, I will never date a girl with kids. I could not raise a kid made by other man.
    I don't know how other guys could do it. I would hate having to see him every weekend or so.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I'm getting married next year in September. My future wife wants to have two children (boy and girl). We both are college grads but she has a job that pays more. That means I will probably have to be Mr. Mom . I like to strength train for 45 minutes a day, six times per week. Three days during the week, I attend 45 minute Tae Kwon Do classes. What am I going to have to cut out for the kids ? Could you give me some of your experiences please?
    well from the sound of this you dont seem to be ready and prepared for kids???
    kids is full time job and they require all of you not just some of you...
    but if you are ready for kids and you really want kids...
    you will have to plan from now on which things you will have to cut out if it interfees with looking after kids..
    thats just life you will have to comprimise..
    kids is not a easy thing and a walk in the park..
    good luck...............

MuckDog is offline Senior Member
    you have one option and one option only - watch the kids during the day and wait till your wife comes home then go hit the gym hard. you will love getting out of the house and its great to blow off some steam. i have 2 kids now - son is 2 and daughter is 4 months. def dont have time to do anything with the both of them but with just one things are def doable as they nap for 2-3 hours at a time while babies. you will def be able to make things happen - and do not plan on bringing them to any sort of gym day care before they are old enough to play on their own as i personally think that's a real shitty thing to do....dumping your 4 month old off in some germ infested room is not good.

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    I dont think kids should "interfere" with anything. You should be worried about the time working out will take from your kids, not vice versa. Im not a parent, but my little cousin lived with me for a year with her parents, from 1yr to 2yrs old, and I love that little girl more than anything in the world to this day. Working out included.

Tho, when his fiance was pregnant with that little girl, her dad(my uncle and best friend) felt the same. He said the second he held her, absolutely everything changed.

You really cant prepare for what you dont know I guess. You wont worry about it as much then.

chauncy...thats a girls name, are you agirl

Anna Bollick is offline Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker
    They make good dumbbell or kettle-bell substitutes... you don't have to re-rack them after your set. Also, you can toss one back and forth with your training partner, like a medicine ball.

Thinking about adopting
    Anna

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Bollick
    They make good dumbbell or kettle-bell substitutes... you don't have to re-rack them after your set. Also, you can toss one back and forth with your training partner, like a medicine ball.

Thinking about adopting
    Anna
    They're great for bodyweight resistance exercises: pushups, dips, pullups, etc. My strength will just have to increase as they get bigger.

Thread Information